PSU Issue? Or Motherboard?

Violator

Gawd
Recently my pc has started to refuse to power up in a happy reliable manner. I can put it to sleep, then it won't respond when I press a key. Pressing the power button may fire it up but more than likely it won't. The only thing that seems to work is repeatedly using the PSU switch itself on/off a few times and eventually it'll kick into life.

It's a Corsair AX750, about 2.5 years old. I don't have another to hand to test out unfortunately.

Does this sound like a PSU or possibly a motherboard issue?

In cases like this, the motherboard is the most likely culprit, but it may be the PSU. There really is no way to tell for certain without having a known good spare to swap in.

In cases like this, the motherboard is the most likely culprit, but it may be the PSU. There really is no way to tell for certain without having a known good spare to swap in.

Yeah I was afraid it might be a bit 50/50. Personally I'm leaning towards the mobo but it'd be a pain to swap out (I was hoping to push next build to next year).

When it's up and running it's perfectly fine, no issues at all. What about trying the old safety pin to start the psu trick? Would that be a reasonable test?

Yeah I was afraid it might be a bit 50/50. Personally I'm leaning towards the mobo but it'd be a pain to swap out (I was hoping to push next build to next year).

When it's up and running it's perfectly fine, no issues at all. What about trying the old safety pin to start the psu trick? Would that be a reasonable test?

If you can't find an extra PSU to try out, then, it might be useful to try to remove the GPU (r9 290 ) which consumes lot of power and see what the results will be using the onboard GPU.
If everything works fine, then we can assume that most likely it's PSU's fault. If the problem remains, then it's 90% certain that the mobo has the problem ;)

If you can't find an extra PSU to try out, then, it might be useful to try to remove the GPU (r9 290 ) which consumes lot of power and see what the results will be using the onboard GPU.
If everything works fine, then we can assume that most likely it's PSU's fault. If the problem remains, then it's 90% certain that the mobo has the problem ;)

That sounds like a reasonable suggestion :) I'll give that a shot!

when my motherboard has power issues it usually fixes it by resetting the cmos. You wouldnt think it but it does work

Just an update on this. I've tried with gfx card out, no different. Just tried resetting CMOS and replaced the battery for good measure. Still the same :mad:

So I was going to buy a replacement PSU to test. Now I find Corsair don't do the AX750s anymore :mad: is the RM series the replacement for them? do I need another 750 or will a 650 do? bearing in mind if it's the mobo that's the problem I'll use that as an excuse to get a new mobo/cpu, but keep current gfx.

So I was going to buy a replacement PSU to test. Now I find Corsair don't do the AX750s anymore :mad: is the RM series the replacement for them? do I need another 750 or will a 650 do? bearing in mind if it's the mobo that's the problem I'll use that as an excuse to get a new mobo/cpu, but keep current gfx.

Pretty sure you don't want a RM750 at all, they had some quality issues early on.

With any single GPU (no dual GPU cards like the R9 295X) and a mainstream Intel platform, you honestly don't need more than 450 watts unless you're going crazy overclocking on water. I would look for a good 500-550 watt.

And no, the replacement for the AX series is the AXi series.

With any single GPU (no dual GPU cards like the R9 295X) and a mainstream Intel platform, you honestly don't need more than 450 watts unless you're going crazy overclocking on water. I would look for a good 500-550 watt.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know :)

Any suggestions around the 550w size? Been looking at the Corsair and Seasonic but can't decide. Must be modular.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks :) I'd probably be looking at £100 tops preferably. I can do semi-modular as long as the majority of the cables are optional (i.e. I can handle the 24pin being fixed)

There something i didn't quite understand. So after all, was it PSU's fault and not the mobo?:confused:

There something i didn't quite understand. So after all, was it PSU's fault and not the mobo?:confused:

No I think it's the mobo. But if it is, I'm going to do a partial rebuild if I'm going to all that hassle :). So new mobo, cpu and psu (just in case).

LOL !! My philosophy exactly!!:) Better safe than sorry! ;)

Indeed :)

Is this worth a bit over my original budget?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-P6...=1415950061&sr=1-1&keywords=seasonic+platinum

Incidentally, I've discovered how to (well 90%) of the time get the PC to fire up currently. By using the rocker switch on the back of the psu, and balancing it mid-way until it gives a slight 'zzzt', that seems to give the system the kick-start it needs.

Now, based on that, does it still sound like a mobo issue?

Last edited:
Indeed :)
Incidentally, I've discovered how to (well 90%) of the time get the PC to fire up currently. By using the rocker switch on the back of the psu, and balancing it mid-way until it gives a slight 'zzzt', that seems to give the system the kick-start it needs.
Now, based on that, does it still sound like a mobo issue?

-About your quoted text i don't know, someone like Tsumi, Dangman, Jorona etc, have much more knowledge on how PSUs work so we should wait for their comment ;),
-but as for the SS Platinum 660, it's one of the best PSUs you can buy.
Paul Johnson at his review said that:
The Seasonic PLATINUM-660 is the newest member of the Seasonic PLATINUM line of power supplies we have reviewed, and when all is said and done it is probably the best power supply we have reviewed overall
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...um660_660w_power_supply_review/1#.VGXvncl0bIQ
I also have this PSU for my brother's pc for 6months now i think, and everything working just fine so far!! :)

-About your quoted text i don't know, someone like Tsumi, Dangman, Jorona etc, have much more knowledge on how PSUs work so we should wait for their comment ;),
-but as for the SS Platinum 660, it's one of the best PSUs you can buy.
Paul Johnson at his review said that:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...um660_660w_power_supply_review/1#.VGXvncl0bIQ
I also have this PSU for my brother's pc for 6months now i think, and everything working just fine so far!! :)

I've read the reviews on the P660 and it seems a very good unit. I'm currently running one R290, if I add another R290 for crossfire (which I may do in near future), would this still be sufficient?

I've read the reviews on the P660 and it seems a very good unit. I'm currently running one R290, if I add another R290 for crossfire (which I may do in near future), would this still be sufficient?

Nope.
The wattage consumption at full load for a single R9 290 is about 380 watt, meaning 380watt/12volt= 31,66 Amperes. 31,6 amps * 2 R9 290 = 63,2 amps
The SS Platinum 660 can give up to 55amps at 12V meaning that 2 R9 290s are out of the PSU's capabilities :(

EDIT: If you are thinking of adding 2nd R9 290, i would suggest you to buy the EVGA Supernova G2 850. It has price similar to the SS Platinum 660 and can provide up to 70,8 amps at 12V.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_850/
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=377
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Last edited:
Nope.
The wattage consumption at full load for a single R9 290 is about 380 watt, meaning 380watt/12volt= 31,66 Amperes. 31,6 amps * 2 R9 290 = 63,2 amps
The SS Platinum 660 can give up to 55amps at 12V meaning that 2 R9 290s are out of the PSU's capabilities :(

:mad: I didn't think the 290 draw was that high. What are we looking at then to power 2x290 and a 4690k with a bit of an o/c?

My God that thing's good :eek: :)

Indeed :p
EVGA has managed with their G2 platform, to create an excellent PSU at an also excellent price!! If you consider price as a factor in your PSU purchase -(*something i don't consider when i'm looking for PSUs, i only care for quality and not price :D)-, then G2 850 has no rival at all!!

EDIT: For me, the only disadvantages the G2 850 has, are:
-it's larger dimensions from an average PSU, because i have small tower ( 150 mm (W) x 86 mm (H) x 180 mm (D) Vs 150 mm (W) x 86 mm (H) x 160 mm (D) of an average PSU )
and
-the relative high inrush current compared to other PSUs (*for the inrush current check Techpowerup's review page 6: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_850/6.html )
For me these are the only disadvantages this PSU has, and the first is disadvantage only for me because my tower is small :D

Last edited:
Indeed :p
EVGA has managed with their G2 platform, to create an excellent PSU at an also excellent price!! If you consider price as a factor in your PSU purchase -(*something i don't consider when i'm looking for PSUs, i only care for quality and not price :D)-, then G2 850 has no rival at all!!

EDIT: For me, the only disadvantages the G2 850 has, are:
-it's larger dimensions from an average PSU, because i have small tower ( 150 mm (W) x 86 mm (H) x 180 mm (D) Vs 150 mm (W) x 86 mm (H) x 160 mm (D) of an average PSU )
and
-the relative high inrush current compared to other PSUs (*for the inrush current check Techpowerup's review page 6: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_850/6.html )
For me these are the only disadvantages this PSU has, and the first is disadvantage only for me because my tower is small :D

Quality is paramount for me as well. As far as cases go, I have a Corsair Obsidian 650D, so I imagine that should be fine.

Quality is paramount for me as well. As far as cases go, I have a Corsair Obsidian 650D, so I imagine that should be fine.

Hmm, i just noticed that your cpu is overclocked, and according to bit-tech.net, it can draw near 200 watt at full load
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/11
So, overall we have: 380 watts (1st R9 290) + 300 watts (2nd R9 290, statistically the 2nd gpu consumes about 75% of the total, from what i've seen in crossfire reviews) + 200 watts (cpu) = 880 watts at 12V for the worst case scenario for your pc.
880/12 = 73,3 Amps at 12 V, and as i said above, the G2 850 can give 70,8 amps at 12V.
I'm not an expert at power consumption, but maybe it's safest to go to a 1000 watt unit such the EVGA P2 1000 at 200$. This PSU is truly amazing, plus you won't take any risks at all !!;)
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOV...&qid=1416140362&sr=8-3&keywords=evga+g2+1000w
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=361
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_P2_1000/
P.S: I would like though to hear someone else's opinion about your system's power consumption in order not to spend extra money without reason! :confused:

:mad: I didn't think the 290 draw was that high. What are we looking at then to power 2x290 and a 4690k with a bit of an o/c?

About 750 watts would be sufficient. The EVGA G2 series have been shown to be very high quality while undercutting the competition, unlike their first SuperNOVA power supply which was overpriced and underwhelming.

Use TechPowerUp for GPU power consumption numbers. For example, here is the 290X Lightning numbers: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/22.html

Gaming peaks at 300 watts, though synthetic benchmarks can push that to almost 400 watts. Then again, you aren't going to be running synthetics all the time.

CPU peaks around 150 watts, typically 100 watts for an overclocked mainstream Intel CPU. Rest of the system is typically estimated at 50-100 watts.

Hoping for an answer here. As mentioned earlier, I've discovered how to (mostly) fire up the PC. This involves holding the power switch rocker midway and gently moving it till it 'zzts' then the PC will usually start.

The question is, is that a PSU issue, or mobo?

Hoping for an answer here. As mentioned earlier, I've discovered how to (mostly) fire up the PC. This involves holding the power switch rocker midway and gently moving it till it 'zzts' then the PC will usually start.
The question is, is that a PSU issue, or mobo?

Originally Posted by Violator : The only thing that seems to work is repeatedly using the PSU switch itself on/off a few times and eventually it'll kick into life.

From what you wrote in your 1st post of the thread, i would say that more likely it's PSU's fault, but without having an extra PSU to try out i can't be 100% sure.:(

Back