FCC Filing: “At Least One” ISP Violating Net Neutrality

HardOCP News

[H] News
Another perfect example of why net neutrality is a good thing.

The practice in issue and in use by this provider is conceptually similar to the way that Comcast used packet reset headers to block the use of BitTorrent in 2007. The result is that wireless Internet users that wish to protect their email communications with basic encryption protocols cannot do so when on this particular wireless provider’s network.

Given that Comcast is DIRECTLY in bed with the government, this will be a slap on the hand and they will go back to being stupid as usual (both the FCC and Comcast)

I don't suppose Ms. Cox got or at least tried to get a response from Comcast, as to why they're blocking encryption on wireless connections. But expecting Comcast to respect even the concept of net neutrality is patently absurd: net neutrality is fundamentally incompatible with their current business models as a cable TV provider. Can we please stop expecting them to do something other than continuous ignore and try to destroy established internet standards.

Would it be perfectly reasonable for your local power company to only allow the electricity they sell you to be used for LG appliances? Would it be OK if oil companies made sure the Gasoline they sell you made all vehicles made by companies that don't bribe them run like crap?

Internet access needs to be treated like a utility.

Somehow someone will come in here and say that gov't regulation caused this to happen. Clearly rational corporate self-interests will work better for the consumer.

Okay, so I read the filing and saying it's a little light on specifics is putting it lightly.

There's no wireshark output, just a screenshot of an unidentified program output... we have no idea what programs he's using, or how the distant server is configured, or anything really. There's no traceroute output, no nothing.

On the VPN claim - when you change the routing you can affect performance? I'M SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU.

The user should not be responsible for the route traffic takes across the internet.

Okay, and? Best effort. It's all best effort. It's not circuit switched, there's no dedicated set of resources. If you are in the pool with 5 people it's great, if you're in the pool with the other 5 million people watching Orange is the New Black it's probably significantly less great.

Somehow someone will come in here and say that gov't regulation caused this to happen. Clearly rational corporate self-interests will work better for the consumer.

Its kinda both though isn't it? If corporations are left to do whatever, consumers get screwed. If we let corporate-controlled government agencies write (bad) policies on regulation, consumers get screwed.
If consumers ask for government agencies to write good policies, we get endless red tape and "conversations" thanks obama that eventually leads to consumers giving up and accepting their fate of being screwed.

..Comcast isn't the one doing this.

That will learn me to not read the article, but I still doubt anyone will get more then a slap on the hand. Especially Comcast. With the latest FBI moaning about new encription, i wouldn't be half surprised if there was a push for companies to keep doing this.

Its kinda both though isn't it? If corporations are left to do whatever, consumers get screwed. If we let corporate-controlled government agencies write (bad) policies on regulation, consumers get screwed.
If consumers ask for government agencies to write good policies, we get endless red tape and "conversations" thanks obama that eventually leads to consumers giving up and accepting their fate of being screwed.

Well put

Thank you. Finally someone posting about this issue that sees both sides of the bullshit.

Testify!

Back