GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD4 LGA 2011-v3 Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD4 LGA 2011-v3 Motherboard Review - GIGABYTE’s new Haswell-E X99-UD4 motherboard offers a no-nonsense, no frills approach to the High End DeskTop (HEDT) market segment. While this certainly is an HEDT motherboard, GIGABYTE's approach to the feature set available on this motherboard has kept its price point in the $240 range.

Might be a decent board with the 5820k.

To be honest, at the sub-$300 mark, the MSI X99 MPower seems like a stronger offering.

I like that [H] is doing DPC latency testing on recent mother board reviews. While minor variations probably don't mean much, major spikes are problematic and people are better off informed of such things.

I like that [H] is doing DPC latency testing on recent mother board reviews. While minor variations probably don't mean much, major spikes are problematic and people are better off informed of such things.

We've been doing DPC latency tests for some time now. I think I began doing them in the Z87 and X79 days. (When the X79 refreshes started hitting the market.)

Might be a decent board with the 5820k.

To be honest, at the sub-$300 mark, the MSI X99 MPower seems like a stronger offering.

All the MSI boards I've looked at lately have been pretty solid.

From my experiences with my X79 and P43 boards from Gigabyte, this seems about par for the course.

And yet Tom's rates this as a "best motherboard for the money October 2014." That's why I come to the [H] for hardware reviews.

Not really sure most people would want a sub $300 board considering the buy in cost of the CPU and especially the ram. Might as well spend the extra $100 for more fully featured ATX board or a higher end mAtx one.

I purchased the UD4 for my 5820K build and I also experienced severe booting issues on the original BIOS. Tried updating to their F8 BIOS revision (which is the most recent that is not labeled as a beta version) and it did not help with the issue at all so I am also currently running the F9c beta BIOS and that has eliminated about 4/5ths of the boot problems. They still happen every so often, though : / I also didn't care much for the Gigabyte software package. Even after updating it it wasn't very responsive and opening the EasyOC window to the advanced view tab (I forget what the name of the tab was) would show absolutely nothing.

We've been doing DPC latency tests for some time now. I think I began doing them in the Z87 and X79 days. (When the X79 refreshes started hitting the market.)

So far, it is looking like some of the Z87 boards have had issues with DPC latency.

I think that Z97 mostly solved those and X99 doesn't seem to have any issues. Imo, if it is under 150 ms, you should probably be ok.

Yeah I'd agree. They've come a long way. My next motherboard is going to be MSI. BIOS stability and build quality have been pretty solid. They also seem to have good customer support.

Curious! Since DPC Latency checker doesn't work with Windows 8 in which OS did you test it with?

Edit: Saw that you used Windows 7.

from all I hear giga was having major memory problems.
saying they were turning it over to intel to figure out, did they ever get it fixed?
guess not from the looks of this review.

Back