First Demonstration Of Artificial Intelligence On A Quantum Computer

HardOCP News

[H] News
How do you demonstrate machine learning on a quantum computer? Teach it to recognize a 69 or course. :D

To keep the experiment simple, the team trained their machine to recognize the difference between a handwritten 6 and a handwritten 9. The vectors representing 6s and 9s can then be compared in this feature space to work out how best to distinguish between them. In effect, the computer finds a hyperplane in the feature space that separates the vectors representing 6s from those representing 9s.

Just get it it to recognise which end is the head and which is the feet.

Not sure how this is significant. My iPad app can do calculations with my hand written inputs.

Didn't both to read the whole story (sue me!) I saw "Chinese scientists" and yeah the bias in me immediately though bullshit. And they recognize handwritten 6s and 9s... then my next thought was "Did the Apple Newton do that a long time ago?"... even if it was half assed?

Still waiting for them to explain how they are doing what they are doing on the quantum level...;) It all looks very straightforward binary to me (gussied up and convoluted, of course.) Great press for research grant money, no doubt.

Not sure how this is significant. My iPad app can do calculations with my hand written inputs.
It's significant because it learned the difference between a 6 and a 9 without a program. The iPad has recognition software to that. This experiment showed that a quantum computing solution learned to recognize these numbers without it being programmed. It was only "suggested" to the molecules of how it should go about doing it by presenting only data, kind of like how we humans learn how to read and write.

It's significant because it learned the difference between a 6 and a 9 without a program. The iPad has recognition software to that. This experiment showed that a quantum computing solution learned to recognize these numbers without it being programmed. It was only "suggested" to the molecules of how it should go about doing it by presenting only data, kind of like how we humans learn how to read and write.

I have a hard time believing no software was written to recognize the difference between 6 and 9. The hardware is useless without a software.

I have a hard time believing no software was written to recognize the difference between 6 and 9. The hardware is useless without a software.
I have a hard time believing it as well, which is why I'd like to research more about it. But this is the basis of true AI. I think I have a hard time grasping quantum computing in general because it goes against everything I know about traditional computing.

This is the part of quantum computing that blows my mind

Think a sine wave. The peak is "high", a 1. The trough is "low", a 0. "Both" is anywhere in between. That's how I see it. A software can be written around. The whole "software-less" part is what I don't understand.

It's significant because it learned the difference between a 6 and a 9 without a program.
Wonder if this was a brute force method like "evolutionary programming" where it simply tries a generations of iterations until it finds something that "works". Would make a bit more sense considering the quantum computer they're supposedly using.

It's more like the light switch is both on and off; not in the middle. Think of the light switch as if it had two buttons. One turns the light ON, and the other turns it OFF. In a traditional computer, only one of these buttons can be active at a time. Pressing ON will deactivate the OFF button, and pressing OFF will deactivate the ON button.

In a quantum computer, you can press both of the buttons at one time. Here's the kicker though; we're not in some half-lit room at this point; we're in a room with a bright light and no light simultaneously. That's why it blows his mind, and really it should. Our brains are not wired to properly comprehend quantum physics.

So this maybe implemented in a way to check for quality assurance on assembly lines or something.... i still can't kick this quantum computer between the legs and have it double over in pain.

Back