3D Printing Mud Huts In Impoverished Countries

I would love this for concrete work, building forms sucks!

And you could go one step further, have a hopper for dry concrete and a connector for your water source that feed an auto mixer.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "I hope this is simply a proof of concept" idea and people are not jumping the gun saying this will help people out in third world nations.

That 3d printer was absolutely huge, probably taking a ton of electricity to run it and the pump that's moving the mud. And the thing was only making something the size of a dog house. I'm sure people mixing mud together could throw together a house faster than that thing was doing.

Honestly after watching the video I'm rather put off with how out of touch they are. If the country is impoverished, chances are pretty good the infrastructure to run something like this isn't going to be there. Couple that with the fact that it is going to be slow and you have a gigantic waste of money. You know what you need to make "mud huts"? A pair of hands and mud. It really is that simple, humans have been doing it for thousands of years. I'm also pretty certain a single human could build a full mud hut faster than this thing and if they did it as a group like they usually do, faster still.

Honestly after watching the video I'm rather put off with how out of touch they are. If the country is impoverished, chances are pretty good the infrastructure to run something like this isn't going to be there. Couple that with the fact that it is going to be slow and you have a gigantic waste of money. You know what you need to make "mud huts"? A pair of hands and mud. It really is that simple, humans have been doing it for thousands of years. I'm also pretty certain a single human could build a full mud hut faster than this thing and if they did it as a group like they usually do, faster still.

But, white people from America providing housing for Africans! What would Africans do without a 3D printer to build them houses of mud??

I can't wait until wee see automated robots building houses/buildings like this at 10x the speed. Will it happen within our life time?

What happens if it malfunctions? Shit...they might have to actually build them by hand. Oh, the humanity!

Cool, so they just need to download the housing plan they want off the internet and put the data into their massive 3d printer and then they can watch their house be built!

great plan!

is this on kickstarter i want to help fund it.

/disablesarcasmmode

Now you too can build mud huts for 100x the cost and 1/4 the speed

I think your speed's wrong. Most of the time would be lost waiting for your mud brick to dry enough for stacking.

I give it 10 seconds till some guy unplugs the computer and freehands it.

Maybe the resulting structure is worth the weight and extra cost, as it is 10x stronger, more insulated and longer lasting?

I suspect if it can pump mud it can pump wet concrete, which would have real value. Being able to spit out formed concrete patterns with a couple of these machines, you could build a neighborhood of structures in pretty short time I would imagine. Think emergency structures like refugee camps etc.

We have perfected the art of inventing amazing devices and using them in the most useless way possible.

Building mud huts must be a tribal art form for some of these tribes.

How about we 3D print their huts for a generation free of charge. In 50 years no one who knows how to hand build a mud hut will be alive, and then we can charge big bucks for those mud huts, and if you can't pay then you can build yourself your very own grass-mat lean-to for all we care.

Back