Teach Copyright Ethics And Morals In Schools?

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is actually a pretty good idea and it is funded in part by the BBC. Imagine what would happen if the MPAA spent a fraction of the money they do on lawyers on education instead. :eek:

The UK's top IP advisor has published recommendations on how today's youth should learn to respect copyright. The document envisions a mandatory copyright curriculum for all ages, online awareness campaigns, and a copyright education program run by the BBC.

I dunno about that in the UK, but I think it'd be teh same as what the MPAA would do.

Some guy yelling "YOU WOULDN"T DOWNLOAD A CAR!" Then walks out like he just carried the world 100,000 miles to the perfect spot..

HA!!! Is this a serious attempt at humor because morals and ethics of any kind have more or less been sued out of curriculums nationwide for the last four decades or so now that political correctness/diversity/multi-cultural curriculums have filled in the void. Real morals and ethics are left to be taught in homes, churches, or elsewhere.

This is actually covered in most computing 101 classes AFAIK. It was in mine, anyways.

If the copyright and ethics lessons covered ALL the types of violations then I wouldn't have an issue ... I suspect that plagiarism is a big concern these days (especially in colleges) ... business and social ethics are also subjects that don't get much focus these days but that people abuse regularly ... if it is just about online piracy then I am not in favor of such a narrow curriculum

I'm all for it, as long as schools are also required to give courses on Chinese Communism and how to pick up copies of first-run UK/US movies in Hong Kong for $0.25 each.

HA!!! Is this a serious attempt at humor because morals and ethics of any kind have more or less been sued out of curriculums nationwide for the last four decades or so now that political correctness/diversity/multi-cultural curriculums have filled in the void. Real morals and ethics are left to be taught in homes, churches, or elsewhere.

Your reply would make a lot of sense if this was about the US and not the UK.

Yeah, right after we add health education, PE, music, and other important classes that have been cut from budgets.

They should have a class that teaches life issues (bank accounts, check books, credit cards, etc.).

Teach useful information to kids? Never, we have to teach kids to add up to 200 in order to solve 158 -35. Because turning a math problem into 5 additional math problems makes learning so much easier.

I dunno about that in the UK, but I think it'd be teh same as what the MPAA would do.

Some guy yelling "YOU WOULDN"T DOWNLOAD A CAR!" Then walks out like he just carried the world 100,000 miles to the perfect spot..

Indeed. Sounds like brainwashing to me... Unless they wanna teach why people pirate too?

Yeah, right after we add health education, PE, music, and other important classes that have been cut from budgets.

They should have a class that teaches life issues (bank accounts, check books, credit cards, etc.).

Actually given the sheltered life that many kids live these days it would be nice to see a return of the Home Economics class that they could make these financial things apart of. They could teach the kids:

1. How to do laundry
2. How to sew a button or do minor clothing repairs
3. How to use an iron effectively
4. How to measure food and follow a recipe
5. How to purchase the ingredients to make a meal
6. How to cook a meal
7. How to store and reheat/recycle foods
8. How to pay bills and sign up for services (cable, electricity)
9. How to apply for and use credit
10. How to read a credit report
11. How to apply for a bank account
etc

All are useful life skills that every teenager could use ... and for those that already know those things it would just be an easy A

Of course this will be extremely biased. Teach based on what big media wants. Not what the laws allow.

My dad always said that college teaches you everything you need to know, except how to cook food, make clothes and build shelter.

My dad always said that college teaches you everything you need to know, except how to cook food, make clothes and build shelter.

Well, in general, unless there is a Zombie Apocalypse or something, most of us don't need to make our own clothes or build our own shelters ... maybe the University should offer an elective on Zombie Apocalypse survival and teach how to shoot, hunt, make clothes, treat minor wounds, and make shelter ... they could call it Survivor 101 (and remove the shooting) if it was too controversial :cool:

Actually given the sheltered life that many kids live these days it would be nice to see a return of the Home Economics class that they could make these financial things apart of. They could teach the kids:

1. How to do laundry
6. How to cook a meal
etc

All are useful life skills that every teenager could use ... and for those that already know those things it would just be an easy A

They do have these programs. Even my crappy high school in Oklahoma had personal finance, home economics, PE, and various music programs. The way things were set up you had to take personal finance or home economics your sophomore year.

They do have these programs. Even my crappy high school in Oklahoma had personal finance, home economics, PE, and various music programs. The way things were set up you had to take personal finance or home economics your sophomore year.

Public schools are mostly different state to state in which programs they have had to cut to date.

Except the UK (and big part of EU) has it worse if anything... its a whole can of worms of from them not realizing the implications (hey mope!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ntolerance-They-cause-animosity-cultures.html
Patricia Morgan, an author on the family and education, said yesterday: ‘If you rub children’s noses in their supposed racism, they resent it.
‘Pupils are being accused of things they haven’t thought or done. Multiculturalism attempts to manipulate children’s thoughts, beliefs and emotions, it amounts to indoctrination, and it doesn’t work. It is counter-productive.
‘This study shows that when people try to manipulate children’s minds, it bounces back on them'

"I will be a good little corporate stooge."

Lesson complete. :rolleyes:

why respect copyright when they don't respect you ? Just look back at the disaster called windows vista.

Was there a free update to the next OS ? no.... so screw them ;)

Lesson complete. :rolleyes:

oo thats a good one.

But maybe also include subtexts kinda like happened in that southpark episode
5gMwhyr.jpg

I teach computer programming and web technologies in a high school. FYI, copyrights and ethical computer behavior are part of the curriculum in almost all Texas objectives in business and IT courses.

“We are at risk of an entire generation growing up with different levels of respect for IP and copyright in particular."

The day i actually see a politician WRITE legislation themselves, and not hand it off to some two bit diaper sniffing staffer who wasnt elected by the people, or as is most likely the case, a Lobbyist who bought and paid for that opinion, then he can stand in front of the mic and i might listen to what he has to say about respecting anything.

Copyright Education indeed. Id rather listen to Mexican drug cartel members teach business ethics, then i might actually learn about how the world really works.

I can't find a list of her qualifications, but after seeing her conservative pro-marriage propaganda (Marriage-Lite, etc), I wouldn't take much she had to say too seriously.

Yeah i pulled it from a tablet last night, there are a multitude of other articles showing the muslimfication of Europe, and the massive amount of issues it is causing. "Multiculturalists" are pushing for tolerance (and white guilt), then the extremist/purist subset of the muslim population sees it as an opportunity to take advantage of their "tolerance" (read: stupidity) and they start pushing Sharia Law in neoghborhoods and Raping children en masse.

This is all off topic though...

As far as the copyright law goes. I have no faith in the US school system. Kids are still going to pirate, but they're going to be under the assumption that stealing a song warrants having their lives ruined, and therefore be more secretive about it. They are doing nothing but creating more of an US vs THEM society.

This is actually a pretty good idea and it is funded in part by the BBC. Imagine what would happen if the MPAA spent a fraction of the money they do on lawyers on education instead. :eek:

So kids can ignore another bullshit mind control educational "subject"? Sure, lets go for it!
Means less time the kids will have to study math and shit, they can just pop another adderall and lean back and relax.

Teach them how the music companies are the worst violators of copyright law, and how they have managed to get away with it for the most part. Or how they manage to cheap and ripoff their own artists.

Then teach them about lobbying, and political corruption.

Let's not forget to teach them that copyright was suppose to be for a limited time, originally only 28 years.

It's a fairly universal theme. While the US/UK are inherently different culturally, I don't see the differences between the morals and ethics of western countries being all that different. There may be some slight differences, but the basics should be the same.

Schools in the US used to have classes like this. They were called Home Economics or Home Ec. Those disappeared in the 80's I believe or started to anyway.

Teach useful information to kids? Never, we have to teach kids to add up to 200 in order to solve 158 -35. Because turning a math problem into 5 additional math problems makes learning so much easier.

Yeesh!!! Common Core for the epic lose.

1. How to do laundry
6. How to cook a meal
etc

Are you kidding me?
They don't want independent, self-capable, productive citizens.

They want mindless sheeple completely dependent on mega-corps and government.
The hell are you thinking, what with your common-sense ideas. :rolleyes: :p

Imaging if you COULD down load a car. What do you think would happen to car sales?

Just imaging the amazing cars hackers/teenagers would be driving around in :)

Imaging if you COULD down load a car. What do you think would happen to car sales?

Just imaging the amazing cars hackers/teenagers would be driving around in :)
Somebody, somewhere would find a way to profit from it. For example: DMV registration fees for new vehicles would rise astronomically.

Back