10 Minutes Of Star Citizen Gameplay

shut up and take my money!

they already took my money.

34jc3tc.jpg

Thanks for the linkage Steve. Awesome looking game. Now for a QHD screen and a GTX970 ...

I'd love to see someone take what they've done with the CryEngine and use it to finally make Freespace 3.

I got a bad feeling that this game is going to end up being terrible, and that there are going to be a lot of angry backers.

Looking forward to the release of squadron 42 and then the final persistent universe game.

Vaporware would be a huge fail.

I tend to think a lot of the time people get their expectations super high. It's easy to see how that could happen here since Chris Roberts is the lead on this. And it has a lot of funding, been in development for a while, etc..

With a lot of things in life, not just video games, if you temper your expectations a bit then it's not such a huge letdown if the end result isn't every single thing you'd hoped it would be.

I got a bad feeling that this game is going to end up being terrible, and that there are going to be a lot of angry backers.

I backed the game a long time ago, and I'm starting to have the same worries. At this point, I feel like they are bordering on trying to add too much stuff in an effort to come up with more stretch goals for their crowd funding. It really makes me wonder if they are over stretching their game in an effort to make more money. Look at Elite: Dangerous. It's also a crowd funded space sim that is nearing completion. It does most of the stuff that SC is going to do, had a tiny fraction of the money that SC has, and is almost finished. SC, on the other hand, is barely in a playable alpha state.

We do have an Organization started where most of the members are here from the [H]ard forums, sorta an unofficial [H]ardOCP org. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DOKAZON

Also have a massive 500+ page thread started on the subject of Star Citizen
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1721792

So if anyone has questions on the game we have a lot of people in the forums with pretty good knowledge of the game.

I think it will probably end up being vaporware tbh.

vaporware implies you are never able to play it, you can already play it in pre-alpha

shut up and take my money!
They already received enough to fund a AAA title... over $55 million to date I think. But if people kept paying me to not release a game, damn skippy I'd be dragging ass! That's the good thing about having a publisher, they set deadlines so peeps aren't sitting on mountains of cash enjoying stripper pizza parties and hit progress markers and a reasonable expected release window, even if they want to add more features down the road.

Hard to see it being vaporware when modules have been released and there is clear progress having been made. Should they be further along than they are? Are they adding too much to drag out the process? Maybe.

But vaporware - not likely.

I already threw over $200 at it.

I went ahead and grabbed Elite: Dangerous to fill the void until SC is released.

One minor concern of mine as far as the idea that they are adding too much to the game. I'm a married man. I can't play games 20 hours a week any more. Gonna make it hard for me to really get that involved in the persistent universe part of the game. Squadron 42 on the other hand is more doable.

Played this at QC this year. Extremely boring.

Truthfully I'd rather just play Freelancer/Space

An updated Wing Commander with some extra missions thrown in would've been fun. Shame it won't ever happen.

arena commander has changed alot since then, flight speeds have increased.

and it is hard to get excited over a death match style game play when that is not really what the game is about.

I don't really get the comments about the development taking too long. The game started development in 2011...it's only been 3 years. How long does a normal. AAA title take to develop?

I don't really get the comments about the development taking too long. The game started development in 2011...it's only been 3 years. How long does a normal. AAA title take to develop?

that is not really fair time frame either because it took time to scale up to the point they are at now

they had a team of 5 people at the very beginning now are at 280+

An updated Wing Commander with some extra missions thrown in would've been fun. Shame it won't ever happen.

Actually the SP portion of Star Citizen is called Squadron 42 and is pretty much a modern Wing Commander with some FPS thrown in.

Or just look into Wing Commander Saga.

I never played the Wing Commander games, but I loved Freelancer, especially playing it with friends on multiplayer servers. The few good multiplayer servers out there were all very community driven, which was cool.

I think I'm probably looking forward to Squadron 42 the most, if it plays well like the Freelancer singleplayer did. Hearing stuff about Star Citizen like people buying ships in-game with IRL money is really turning me off though. I'm not looking to be cannon fodder for some rich douche. It just seems like the people in charge of the game are always ready and willing to do things which bring them more money, with any thought as to if it would be good for the game or not a very distant afterthought at best.

If I had spent anything remotely close to some of the hardcore devoted followers, I would be 8 feet under because my wife would have been pissed.

I never played the Wing Commander games, but I loved Freelancer, especially playing it with friends on multiplayer servers. The few good multiplayer servers out there were all very community driven, which was cool.

I think I'm probably looking forward to Squadron 42 the most, if it plays well like the Freelancer singleplayer did. Hearing stuff about Star Citizen like people buying ships in-game with IRL money is really turning me off though. I'm not looking to be cannon fodder for some rich douche. It just seems like the people in charge of the game are always ready and willing to do things which bring them more money, with any thought as to if it would be good for the game or not a very distant afterthought at best.

considering this is a 10 year project, that will continue to evolve even after the the initial release 1.0 persistent universe in early 2016, i would want to milk as much money from ship sales as i could before that happens because ships sales are stopping once the game is released.

If I had spent anything remotely close to some of the hardcore devoted followers, I would be 8 feet under because my wife would have been pissed.

Hmmm, single life, gaming, more money, free time, get laid once in a while (even if you have to pay for it) vs. wife. Yeah, it's a toss up.

I'm already not interested in this game. It wouldn't have been a big deal if SC didn't go so unbelievably overboard with all these ships sales. And if they had spent less time designing new ships, they might actually have some real Planetside gameplay content. As of now I still see any story, how an economy is going to function, character development roles, etc. Just moar ships. And if this game actually turns out to be good, people who bought ships previously or now are going to have a stupidly large advantage over new players in the game? Why? Because they'll have value solely off the fact they cannot be obtained anymore. Just feels like a lose lose situation for me now so why bother.

Most people don't pay for a triple A title three years plus in advance, and free open beta is usually a year or less prior to release. I think that's one of the big issues.

World of Warcraft took 5 years to develop before it was deployed in late 2004.

This looks like a modernized freelancer. Basically, they have removed the 2d interface for missions and shops and made them 3d. This looks pretty cool but doesn't add much gameplay wise.I like what is being presented as I only wanted a sequel to Freelancer and have spent $30 backing this title. I do not believe it will be an ungodly space sim and I feel there will be many disappointed backers who dumped far too much money into this title.

I think I spent $75. The ones dumping hundreds and especially thousands are off their rockers IMO. And this is coming from a HUGE wing commander fan.

I haven't been following this to closely, but you can't buy ships after the game launches? How are you supposed to play then if you don't fund them now?

Seems a bit asinine or am I totally missing the point of this game? Still boggles my mind that people are throwing thousands of dollars at a game plus $$$ monthly so your ships aren't stolen or w/e.

I haven't been following this to closely, but you can't buy ships after the game launches? How are you supposed to play then if you don't fund them now?

Seems a bit asinine or am I totally missing the point of this game? Still boggles my mind that people are throwing thousands of dollars at a game plus $$$ monthly so your ships aren't stolen or w/e.

if you play the single player campaign Squadron 42 you play in a military career path and after completion you get your military pay, to pay for your starting ship.

you can also choose to skip the single player and take out a in hame credit loan to pay for the starting ship.

and it is possible they may still keep some basic ship sales like let you just outright by the starting aurora ship or mustang.

but for the most part ship sales are still planned to stop at release.

Back