Take a Look at the First New Star Wars Arcade Game in Years

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Star Wars craze has been on a roll for almost 40 years now with continued successes in movies, memorabilia, video games and even full-sized arcade games. Now a new arcade game has been released called Star Wars Battle Pod and it will be on exhibit at Dave and Buster’s in Manhattan until November 2nd. If you are in the New York area, stop by and give it a shot, no pun intended. :D

Meh, haven't played arcade games in ages. I kind of thought with how inexpensive gaming devices have become, that they are rather obsolete. Why pay $2.50 a game at Dave and Buster's when you can play for hours in the comfort of your home with friends on your console or computer?

That said, I am feeling kind of desperate for a new Star Trek game. After all, Star Trek is basically just Star Wars for people who understand physics and aren't completely retarded about space flight.

Meh, haven't played arcade games in ages. I kind of thought with how inexpensive gaming devices have become, that they are rather obsolete. Why pay $2.50 a game at Dave and Buster's when you can play for hours in the comfort of your home with friends on your console or computer?

That said, I am feeling kind of desperate for a new Star Trek game. After all, Star Trek is basically just Star Wars for people who understand physics and aren't completely retarded about space flight.

Did you even click on the link to see the battle pod? :rolleyes:

Of course, and how does that invalidate my point? I have a huge projection screen (3D capable) with 7.1 surround sound at home to play on, and a Saitek X52 control system.

I like the concept and I like how it looks...

however I utterly hate games that are on rails like that where you at "best" have marginal control. Watching his stick movements they rarely related to what was happening on the screen and it was constantly forcing him down a path. That to me sort of kills the experience. Now make it where the ship goes where you make it go, good or bad and hell yes I would head to an arcade for that.

10/10 concept
10/10 hardware
3/10 game execution.

however I utterly hate games that are on rails like that where you at "best" have marginal control. Watching his stick movements they rarely related to what was happening on the screen and it was constantly forcing him down a path. That to me sort of kills the experience. Now make it where the ship goes where you make it go, good or bad and hell yes I would head to an arcade for that.

10/10 concept
10/10 hardware
3/10 game execution.
Thats inherent to arcade gameplay though, as you aren't going to invest any time in tutorials to know what to do, and are just jumping in for 3-4 minutes of action.

If they let you go anywhere, many would get confused and do nothing of value for that time, and then the game would be over.

That's why arcade games as a concept aren't really relevant compared to massive multiplier online via console/PC where you can really invest time and experience an expansive universe with little to no time constraints.

I wish Arcade games made a comeback but that would be asking for too much Kids today don't know how to hang out at the arcade but plop in their house instead.

they basically rebranded a namco mach storm

https://www.google.com/search?q=nam...:en-US:official&channel=sb&q=namco+mach+storm

I played one at IAAPA last year and it was pretty great, I am sure Namco will have the Star Wars one at IAAPA this year so I can't wait to play it!

now if it only didn't cost like $70k we would probably have one at our arcade

Arcades are about a social gaming experience, you know, being with other people, if you want to hang out at home keeping your couch warm all night then hey, that's your prerogative

and D&B isn't an arcade... most real arcades games don't cost more than $1... and considering a game like this one in the article costs like $70k, that's a bargain

I wish Arcade games made a comeback but that would be asking for too much Kids today don't know how to hang out at the arcade but plop in their house instead.

not entirely true, we have an arcade down here in Miami it's really popular... the Arcade isn't dead

however I utterly hate games that are on rails like that where you at "best" have marginal control.
Which arcade game isn't ridiculously linear? It comes with the territory. But I agree about the lack of control responsiveness, at least from this video it looks laggy. As wonderful as the graphics are, for fun factor I'll still take the original Star Wars running under MAME on a PC. If you haven't tried it on a big screen it's great.

Dave and Busters by me, the average decent game was around 10 points, and that came out to around $2 on your D&B card unless you purchased a huge amount of points. The latest and greatest big games were more. The games tend to be very short, often with lines, and so if you actually got in an hour of gameplay it would cost a fortune and also take a few hours unless you hog the machine.

D&B is fun for the hell of it when you want some food and a few drinks while play a few games. However, barcades are where it's at. The 1Up in Denver is an absolute blast. I'll take playing Mortal Kombat, Dig Dug, Double Dragon, and Punch Out while out with others over Skyrim, Battlefield, or StarCraft at home with a headset on any day of the week.

Of course, and how does that invalidate my point? I have a huge projection screen (3D capable) with 7.1 surround sound at home to play on, and a Saitek X52 control system.

Good for you Mr. Money bags :p Most people either can't afford to spend thousands on a home theater setup or choose not to spend thousands on a home theater setup. Either way, your setup still wont give the experience as the $70k arcade machine.

back on point, i'd love to drop a roll of quarters to play this

and D&B isn't an arcade... most real arcades games don't cost more than $1... and considering a game like this one in the article costs like $70k, that's a bargain

not entirely true, we have an arcade down here in Miami it's really popular... the Arcade isn't dead

arcades are overall dead.. just like drive in theaters... while there is still pockets of resistance that can offer a unique experience, its not what it use to be.

Looked terrible, I hated that the ship is so on rails its impossible to lose/crash into anything

There's times where he's looking so far to the side that when the rail system turns him he looks like he's power drifting his X-Wing

Looked terrible, I hated that the ship is so on rails its impossible to lose/crash into anything

There's times where he's looking so far to the side that when the rail system turns him he looks like he's power drifting his X-Wing
Although in all fairness in space you can rotate your ship without affecting it's trajectory making it look like you are endlessly "drifting" :p . I agree with you though, as soon as I saw his ship enter the trench i was disgusted. I understand arcade games are usuallly quite linear, but I think in that case this is simply the wrong game for an arcade.

I never realized this back in the day, but arcade machines are probably gross as fuck. I mean, how many nerds had touched the controls before you.

I would like to see someone update the games TIE Fighter and X-Wing Squadron (the one not on rails). Back in the day, those were awesome games.

The game in the video looks kind of fun, but you are on rails. I'm meh about those type of games. Played too many already.

Cool, but like everyone else said kind of sucks that it's on rails. Then again, it's objective is to make money and not everyone is coordinated enough for full freedom of movement (ala X-Wing/Tie Fighter)

Still waiting for a 2014 version update of X-wing flight sim.

Flying the legendary crafts in first person with today's graphics, it would be a hit.

As other's have said, the hardware is sweet but there could be more control to the game. The throttle control on his left seems pretty pointless, I didn't see a single time when "braking" did anything or was necessary.

I still look wistfully at my old X wing and Tie Fighter CDs and think " Man.. someone needs to release new updated versions of these..." Even if the missions are the same, just an updated graphics engine and cutscenes would be nice. I want the Freespace story to continue too, I still remember how much I loved the Freespace II experience.

I'm a fan of some Starwars movies etc, but I gotta say this demo was boring and uncreative, just a rehash and recycle of past gameplay, I didn't think the graphics were anything special either.

Maybe they need to take the next step and make this a VR game, license some Occulus stuff and build a brand new kinda experience with it. Another shooter on rails is just so... I dunno, 1990s?

Reminds me of Laser Disk games of the past. Great visuals/audio, but you are playing a crappy limited game within all the visual extravagance. If you take away all the flash it's nothing. Also made so idiots can get their $$ worth even if they don't have a clue. Classic flashy arcade experience. That said I would play it once for the experience.

That's supposed to be an arcade game? It looks like someone ported a typical "on the rails" mobile game to a large screen and slapped flight controls in it to make it feel authentic. It looked way too easy as well. Sure, the graphics make it look like you're playing the movie, but graphics do not make a game.

You want a real arcade game in space, play this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcyBtVwAsfg

It invalidates your point because you represent about .001% of the gaming population. Arcade's were fun because they offered something most people couldnt get at home; rich graphics with dedicated control set for that particular game. Xbox/PS2 killed the Arcade once they were able to reproduce arcade quality graphics in the home.

You might as well say "why does anyone go to bars anymore when you can just buy liquor and drink at home? I have a marble slab bar counter with mahogany finish fully plumbed with $1000 in assorted beverages and 10 years experience mixing drinks"

That's supposed to be an arcade game? It looks like someone ported a typical "on the rails" mobile game to a large screen and slapped flight controls in it to make it feel authentic. It looked way too easy as well. Sure, the graphics make it look like you're playing the movie, but graphics do not make a game.

You want a real arcade game in space, play this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcyBtVwAsfg

Graphics certainly can make a game, which do you think is more immersive, this or tie fighter? This game looks more or less like it's meant to be an experience more than some challenging game filled with replay value. I dont think they expect people to drop $100 on this thing trying to complete it. With that parabolic projector screen I'm sure there are some stomach churning oculus worthy sensations worth the price of admission.

Looks terrible.

They reused the same "I'm not gonna make it! AHHHHH!" recording several times, not to mention what everyone else said about it being a rehash / tard-friendly rails / not that good looking.

Which arcade game isn't ridiculously linear? It comes with the territory. But I agree about the lack of control responsiveness, at least from this video it looks laggy.

Definitely looked to be an atrocious amount of input lag.

Yay, hold down the fire button and move in the direction of the arrows...supar fun! :rolleyes:

I wonder how much money is still in it for the companies who make the arcade game itself...at least in the US. In Japan there are still arcades everywhere, but they are a dying breed in the US.

Graphics certainly can make a game, which do you think is more immersive, this or tie fighter? This game looks more or less like it's meant to be an experience more than some challenging game filled with replay value. I dont think they expect people to drop $100 on this thing trying to complete it. With that parabolic projector screen I'm sure there are some stomach churning oculus worthy sensations worth the price of admission.

Please note that the word arcade is important in understanding all this.

Back