Comedy Club Charges Per Laugh With Facial Recognition

HardOCP News

[H] News
It seems to me that paying the comedians per laugh would work better than charging patrons per laugh. Either way, the idea is still pretty damn kooky.

The software is installed on tablets attached to the back of each seat at the Teatreneu club. Each laugh is charged at 0.30 euros (23p) with a cap of 24 euros (£18). Takings are up so far. The project was developed to combat falling audience numbers.

No sir, I don't like it.

Get some funny people in there and charge a single price. Don't make enough - find someone funnier or some other gimmick. This seems like the wrong solution to the problem... Cool that it works, but I'd be less likely to laugh if I knew I was being monitored on laughs. I'd be too conscious about it and wouldn't be paying as much attention to the comedian or actually having a good time.

With the max being like $25. I think this is a pretty good idea. If the comedian is shitty you don't have to pay at all or that much. If they are good then it's a good show for $25. Seems reasonable to me.

The way it's worded seems stupid "charging per laugh" however if you flip it around and say "You're charged admission, and if you don't laugh much you get a refund based upon how much you laugh" then it'd be a bit better. But what about someone who's naturally a smiling person regardless of how entertained they are? Or someone with a stone face who can laugh without smiling "Har har har" type of guy. Can the software distinguish that? Plus a chuckle or a side aching laugh are two separate levels of funny. And you know those bastards are going to throw their two drink minimum up anyways!

One of the best comedy shows I went to was at the Tropicana, 3 guys who were unknown, cost like $14 to get in, and instead of a 2 drink minimum, you were given 2 free drinks! Compared to the $100+ price for some "marque" comedians this was a better than all of them.

why can't they just do an over-all measure of laughs each comic gives?

Wear a James May mask when you sit down. I promise you will get out scott free, with the exceptions of your drinks of course.

Yes how to fuck your own comedy show by encouraging people not to laugh. Brillllliant.

This is a pretty "funny" idea. :) But, it's not a bad one. And come on, if you're gonna try to stiff a comedy club by not laughing, GTFO.

With the max being like $25. I think this is a pretty good idea. If the comedian is shitty you don't have to pay at all or that much. If they are good then it's a good show for $25. Seems reasonable to me.
I've never seen a comedian that was laugh out loud funny in person. Usually I throw a few good laughs out there because I feel like an unresponsive audience just makes the situation worse.

I've seen headliners, too, but the funny shows we see on the screen are edited from across multiple performances. There might just be one genuinely laugh out loud funny joke in a whole hour of routine but I wouldn't want to sit there stone faced the whole time and be an asshole about it.

You're incentivizing me not to laugh, which is the wrong frame of mind to be in. I'm coming for a good time, so just ensure you have good talent on stage and cheap drinks, then attendance will be high accordingly.

Now, instead of a two drink minimum, there is a five drink minimum and drink prices just went up 20%.

Back