Facebook Pursues Entry Into Healthcare Industry

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ugh, the thought of Facebook getting into the healthcare industry makes me ill. Oh great, now I need a support group for my illness. Well played Facebook, well played.

The company is exploring creating online "support communities" that would connect Facebook users suffering from various ailments. A small team is also considering new "preventative care" applications that would help people improve their lifestyles.

This can potentially lead to all sorts of HIPAA PHI violations. Have fun with that.

Here is the deal. Facebook is trying to be the next google by going into the areas that Google doesn't want to Eff with. Primarily.. medical in this example. IT IS A STICKY place.

If someone errantly discovers that jane doe has breast cancer she is being treated for because of some face book link/tagging chain. Facebook as an entity is in for a very healthy lawsuite.

well there's a lot of health related forums available, thankfully they are not all linked and easily searchable afaik.

So the Zucker has figured out how to get past the HIPPA laws. Sucker you into joining a support social group and now they can market the shit out of medical relates products and collect more advertising revenue.

Brilliant.

And thanks to Obamacare, the amount Americans spend on the healthcare industry is going to skyrocket.

Back