Celebs Threaten To Sue Google Over Nude-Image Hack

HardOCP News

[H] News
Someone needs to remind this attorney that Google has won every time the search giant has been sued for this kind of stuff. Every. Single. Time.

In a broad indictment of the search giant, Martin Singer, an attorney at Lavely & Singer in Los Angeles, said that Google's conduct was "despicable [and] reprehensible" when, his clients believe, the company did not "act expeditiously and responsibly to remove" images stolen in a broad celebrity hack of Apple iCloud accounts. Singer is representing "over a dozen female celebrities, actresses, models, and athletes" whose images were stolen from their iCloud accounts.

LOLWUT?

They should probably sue the news media, because I and probably many others here didn't even know about it until it was blasted all over the place.

Next up they should sue the ISP's for allowing these transactions to happen on their service.

Hahahaha, yeah. They deserve to have their images pulled off the net because they're celebrity victims. OK.

The sheer arrogance.

Is it arrogance on their part, or is it arrogance on Google's part that this isn't available to everyone's personal images not taken legally (i.e., in a public place, with consent to take and share)

I honestly am conflicted. On the one hand, public records, etc etc.

Edit: And yes, duh, I should know Google isn't the internet, so that should play a large part in the decision. Shouldn't be after Google, but those actually hosting the images.

AFAIK Google only removes links resulting from valid DMCA requests. If the photos did not fall under any copyright dispute then Google has no obligation to remove the links. Beyond that concerning the content being hosted on Google's own network, it sounds like they are doing everything necessary based on their own policies from reading the article.

LOLWUT?

They should probably sue the news media, because I and probably many others here didn't even know about it until it was blasted all over the place.

Next up they should sue the ISP's for allowing these transactions to happen on their service.
Yep. I didn't know about it until it was blasted all over the news on the following Monday. Since I always like to confirm what is said on the news, I then proceeded to do my own research.

The fact that they got any of the images removed is already a gross injustice. No ordinary person would get anywhere trying that, nor should they. Google is supposed to be a neutral search engine--it can't bias its results at the behest of a few "important" citizens.

Keep yer ass off film if you don't want the pictures seen LOL

This celeb hack is just another glaring example of what's wrong with tech today. People having access to shit they shouldn't be allowed to use.

The fact that they got any of the images removed is already a gross injustice. No ordinary person would get anywhere trying that, nor should they. Google is supposed to be a neutral search engine--it can't bias its results at the behest of a few "important" citizens.

+ 1 jillion.

Well Said.

Apple's bad security allows a hacker in, so they sue Google?

They signed en EULA with Apple that basically lets Apple show up drunk at night and kill their dogs without repercussion. No such EULA was signed with Google. So, simplicity says sue Google.

They signed en EULA with Apple that basically lets Apple show up drunk at night and kill their dogs without repercussion. No such EULA was signed with Google. So, simplicity says sue Google.

Suing Google for Apple having piss poor cloud security is like suing Dodge because some drunk asshole drove a Viper into your living room.
It just doesn't make any sense.
If anything, Apple should be sued, not over the breach or loss of personal pics, but because they KNEW there was a security hole and chose not to fix it. Pretty sure THAT can be the walk around the EULA, not suing over the breach, suing over negligence.

Suing Google for Apple having piss poor cloud security is like suing Dodge because some drunk asshole drove a Viper into your living room.
If anything, Apple should be sued, not over the breach or loss of personal pics, but because they KNEW there was a security hole and chose not to fix it. Pretty sure THAT can be the walk around the EULA, not suing over the breach, suing over negligence.

Didn't say it made any sense. It's just one less hurdle to deal with so they went after Google instead of Apple.

Didn't say it made any sense. It's just one less hurdle to deal with so they went after Google instead of Apple.

How much really makes sense anymore?
The more information we have access to the less clear things are.

This is google and their lawyers right about now.
ntB2KhM.gif

Agreed. Apparently you gotta be a rich celeb to get your way...

This is google and their lawyers right about now.
ntB2KhM.gif

If I was Google I would doing that. Goodluck to the Clebs, they have no chance to win this. There is nothing stopping me from looking for them once they are out there. If they didn't want there nude pics pit then they shouldn't of taken them.

That'd be good if Google actually wasn't already bias. It is and it makes that part sorta a moot point. Celebs are dumb for taking nakey pics to begin with and Google is most pervasive invader of privacy on the planet so yeah, they deserve to have to deal with each other. Stupid Google, stupid celebs...they can fight it out while smart people do their best to avoid acknowledging celebs and having everything they do tracked and logged by Google.

I can't decide what's worse, the fact that people buy into the idea that Google can filter every scrap of information on earth as though they own the internet....

..Or the filthy little lawyer scum who encourage frivolous lawsuits like this..

I guess the truth is that as long as judges are just alpha-lawyers this system will be eternally fucked and lawyers will remain utterly unethical. This shit needs to start to cost law firms millions of dollars instead of the naive boobs they bill.

Just thought I'd mention, the lawyers on both sides got paid. Every. Single. Time.

More like suing Dunlop or Michelin for making the tires the viper was driving on or perhaps sing the city for making the road past your house.

But yeah why do they want to sue Google for apples flub if anyone needs suing it is apple. All Google is liable for is removing search results as they get asked to pull them. Honestly I could not find anything on Google the day after other than news articles I found the pictures on a torrent site.

Just thought I'd mention, the lawyers on both sides got paid. Every. Single. Time.

Heh, true. The lawyers probably know how dumb it is, but they have to do something to get paid.

Maybe if some Celeb's don't use Apple products and used something more reliable this wouldn't happen. Oh wait Celeb's normally WANT these pictures leaked out when their careers are going into the toilet and need a media buzz.

Problem: many of the leaked celebrity pictures were never on iCloud. You do understand that these photos and videos were collected over many years by many sources, right?

Or.....stop taking nude pictures and putting them in the cloud.

If they didn't take them, others couldn't hack them.

Just sayin'

Problem: many of the leaked celebrity pictures were never on iCloud. You do understand that these photos and videos were collected over many years by many sources, right?

Yep, but if they are that concerned, don't take nude pictures of yourself, or allow others to do so.

It was my understanding that most of the recent stuff was due to lax security due to Apple making iCloud more easier then a drunk blond on prom night....
But I'm sure there's stuff floating about from before iCloud, Apple hasn't existed since the beginning of time itself.

Google is supposed to be a neutral search engine--it can't bias its results at the behest of a few "important" citizens.

Do you really think its neutral? Just look how quickly they were able to comply with the right to be forgotten, because they already had the tools in place to do it already for things we likely aren't told about.

In my opinion this is why cloud anything is bad.

We moved away from mainframes. Why are we moving back to them.

Rant over

oypJ8Cq.gif

Die in a fire you... lawyer.
Judges won't put up with his Deceptive reasoning. The outcome of this case may be Devastating to his reputation. It will Transform the opinions of those celebrities looking to make a quick buck.

umm,.... Sue Apple? Apple knew about the vulnerability back in april....

Do you really think its neutral? Just look how quickly they were able to comply with the right to be forgotten, because they already had the tools in place to do it already for things we likely aren't told about.

They are not, but they should be. They won't though....

Back