Co-worker updated iPad to iOS 8, hates it, wants to downgrade

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

Is there any way to downgrade back to iOS 7? iOS 8 has made some applications and parts of her iPad cease function

In order to be able to downgrade iOS devices, you have to have saved the original SHSH firmware blob before upgrading, otherwise, it's impossible. If you have the blob, then you use a program like iFaith to roll back to it.

What's not working? iOS 8 works just fine on the dozens of iPads I've seen upgraded to it.

Officially, nope. They need to deal with it. Tell the app publishers to update their shit. iOS8 has been beta for months.
Issue could also be with her user data. Have her wipe it and restore as a new device. Yeah it sucks losing some settings and data, but it might actually work then.

No. Downgrading was an option for about a week after iOS 8 was released, but Apple stopped signing 7.1.2 so a downgrade is no longer possible.

If iOS 8 made some part of her iPad "cease functioning" she should definitely take it to an Apple store for replacement.

In order to be able to downgrade iOS devices, you have to have saved the original SHSH firmware blob before upgrading, otherwise, it's impossible. If you have the blob, then you use a program like iFaith to roll back to it.

What's not working? iOS 8 works just fine on the dozens of iPads I've seen upgraded to it.
you can't save shsh firmware blobs and downgrade anymore

Can't downgrade as others have explained, what exactly isn't working? If its just some 3rd party apps I would uninstall and reinstall or wait for updates. If its built in stuff then back up and restore the ipad through itunes.

Please elaborate what is not functioning with her ipad? Ios 8 is flawlessly working on my ipad

Co-worker tells me this in response to what problems iOS 8 has brought for her: "it keeps saying no service, 3G AT&T will not stay. WiFi keeps on having to be reset."

Co-worker tells me this in response to what problems iOS 8 has brought for her: "it keeps saying no service, 3G AT&T will not stay. WiFi keeps on having to be reset."

Try a clean restore to 8.0.2

Sorry charlie, she already tried that. It still happens. If she powers the iPad off and on it will restore the service. She will never, NEVER buy an Apple product again. It's ruined her Candy Crush experience.

Sorry charlie, she already tried that. It still happens. If she powers the iPad off and on it will restore the service. She will never, NEVER buy an Apple product again. It's ruined her Candy Crush experience.

call or go to apple

Ok? She should take it to the store if it's still having problems staying joined to networks after being restored. They can either diagnose the issue or replace the hardware as necessary.

I upgraded all of our devices and then downgraded before apple stopped signing. So happy that I did, they made zero improvements that mattered to me

Shrug, sounds like an overreaction but people are silly sometimes. I'm sure Apple would make it right if she sought assistance there, rather than via friends. She's not going to have a guaranteed flawless experience no matter what she buys.

If she is having wifi and cellular issues with a clean OS and has no personal info on the device then she needs to do what 450 says:
call or go to apple

The cellular service issue I would first try a new SIM card from AT&T. The wifi issue needs to be addressed with apple via AppleCare support over the phone or with a reservation for the Genius Bar at a store. The issue happening after updating to iOS 8 is probably a coincidence, the hardware was probably failing before and with the new driver set for the OS probably just made the issue show its head more clearly.

Wifi needing to be reset is a known issue that appears to have been fixed in the iOS 8.1 beta.

The 3G issue could be anything from a carrier issue to a bad SIM card. AT&T released a carrier update file alongside iOS 8; did she install that? Tell her to go to Settings -> General -> About to see if it prompts to install a carrier update.

Running 8.0.2 on my company issued iPhone 4s
it runs fine, wifi & 4g... Just a bit slower then it did in ios7

A system administrator who I work with gave me this link: http://www.iclarified.com/41285/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-8-beta-to-ios-7

Says all the comments about this not being possible / unsigned 'crap' is 100% BS and that he has been successfully using the guide at iClarified to roll back several iPhones and iPads.

That worked fine at the time the article was published. Apple stopped signing versions prior to 8.0.2 about 2 weeks ago, meaning a downgrade is no longer possible for those devices. You could always have her try out 8.1 beta, which can be downgraded to 8.0.2 through a restore if it causes problems.

That worked fine at the time the article was published. Apple stopped signing versions prior to 8.0.2 about 2 weeks ago, meaning a downgrade is no longer possible for those devices. You could always have her try out 8.1 beta, which can be downgraded to 8.0.2 through a restore if it causes problems.
By any chance are you saying that because everyone else is saying that? Have you tried to follow the instructions from iClarified? My co-worker informs me that the instructions in this guide still work. I have brought up the thing about Apple unsigning the firmware makes the guide obsolete (didn't say that from my own experience, just saying what everyone else is saying) and he says it's not true and that it still works, and that there is a key combination you have to use when restoring the backup from iTunes (and emphasized that it is also absolutely critical you boot your device in DFU mode).

Last edited:
By any chance are you saying that because everyone else is saying that? Have you tried to follow the instructions from iClarified? My co-worker informs me that the instructions in this guide still work. I have brought up the thing about Apple unsigning the firmware makes the guide obsolete (didn't say that from my own experience, just saying what everyone else is saying) and he says it's not true and that it still works, and that there is a key combination you have to use when restoring the backup from iTunes (and emphasized that it is also absolutely critical you boot your device in DFU mode).

That instruction you linked is nothing but a standard iTunes restore with device in DFU mode...
It works only on firmwares that Apple is still signing. It would have worked 2 weeks ago when Apple was still signing iOS 7.1.2 since the launch of iOS 8 took 3 tries until they got it right.

CEpeep suggestion of installing iOS 8.1 beta and the ability to restore back to iOS 8.0.2 is the same condition as the article you linked, just for iOS 8 beta and iOS 7.1.1 back in June.

Last edited:

Apple is not signing any versions before 8.0.2 for devices that support iOS 8. This method worked fine up until 2 weeks ago, but no longer. If you are convinced otherwise, you can feel free to try it yourself.

I initially rolled back to 7.1.2 after having issues with iOS8, but after the device was rolled back, I wasn't able to restore my apps and such from an iCloud or iTunes backup.

Every time I'd try, it would tell me that the backup wasn't compatible, because the version of 7.1.2 the backup was made from differed from the version of 7.1.2 that was installed currently. Weird stuff..

Doesn't work trying to downgrade from POS 8.0.2 to 7.1.2. Goes through the motion to allow you to select the ipsw file and extracts it but upon restoration attempt it returns with error "(3194) This device isn't eligible for the requested build." Works fine with 8.0.2 though so that points to the Apple signing restriction issue.

I initially rolled back to 7.1.2 after having issues with iOS8, but after the device was rolled back, I wasn't able to restore my apps and such from an iCloud or iTunes backup.

Every time I'd try, it would tell me that the backup wasn't compatible, because the version of 7.1.2 the backup was made from differed from the version of 7.1.2 that was installed currently. Weird stuff..

Apple has stopped signing 7.1.2. That's why you're having that problem.

No it's not, though I appreciate the reply. All this happened on the day that 8.0 was released.
Apple stopped signing 7.1.2 as soon as 8.0 launched. The link you posted was valid during the beta period pre-release.

Apple stopped signing 7.1.2 as soon as 8.0 launched. The link you posted was valid during the beta period pre-release.

They continued to sign for several days. The download page was clearly marked for the better part of a week, really.

The device itself restored to 7.x just fine, and I could manually reinstall any and all apps and functionality. It was a fully functional device that had been reverted to the previous software release. I simply could not restore my settings and apps from iCloud.

Note that this specific issue has been a consistent, but low level issue that has also affected people trying to restore on the same, current software level.

Signing status page shows only 8.0.2 and 8.0 are authorized which is BS as they should at least allow people to revert back to the previous major release but they want to tout their adoption rate at the next WWDC and intentionally slow down people's devices to force them to upgrade.

Last edited:
Signing status page shows only 8.0.2 and 8.0 are authorized which is BS as they should at least allow people to revert back to the previous major release but they want to tout their adoption rate at the next WWDC and intentionally slow down people's devices to force them to upgrade.

It def. slowed down older devices... I will agree there. iPhone 4s went from "tolerable" with 7 to almost unusable with 8. The iPhone 5 and 5c went from super fast to "kinda sorta ok".

Not sure what they did with iOS8, but MAN it's heavy.

Going to try 8.1 beta 2 since it sounds like it addresses the broken stuff and lag and supposedly doesn't require UDID developer registration.

http://youtu.be/2ksxvZHYtZQ

Update: So, it successfully upgraded to 8.1 beta 2 and it may fix issues with 8.0.2 for others but Safari is still a stuttery lagfest on sites that I frequent like The Verge. Guess Apple is holding 7.1.2 ransom to force me to give them money for a new device and it has to be the unreleased iPad Pro 2GB DRAM because iPad Air lags too.

Last edited:
It def. slowed down older devices... I will agree there. iPhone 4s went from "tolerable" with 7 to almost unusable with 8. The iPhone 5 and 5c went from super fast to "kinda sorta ok".

Enable the "Reduce Transparency" option. That reduces the load on the GPU and makes the iPhone 5 work better with iOS 8. Should also help the iPhone 4s.

It appears my co-worker (sysadmin) who was adamant about this working and claiming it doesn't matter if the firmware is unsigned hasn't had any success with an iPad we brought back to our department from the production floor.

The problem that is being experienced is that periodically they will lose WiFi connectivity and a full power down is required to reset and resolve connection issues.

Back