Building new desktop. No OC. Something rock stable

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys. I am building a new desktop. I am no overclocking anything. I am going to get a video card later and for now use the on-board video. I would like something that will handle maybe a 970 gtx or whatever I get for my video card later on.

My build is going to be -

cpu - intel 5820 | bundle | motherboard - asrock X99Extreme4 ATX - 499.98
memory - nothing decided yet 970gtx possibly later
video card - something cheap
hard drive - samsung 850pro 256 ssd - 199.00
hard drive for storage - nothing decided yet and not until later
power supply - need rec!
dvd drive - anything - 15$
5 case fans

What do you guys think? I am looking to spend under 100$. I'm just afraid 100$ and under won't get me much. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Your CPU/motherboard does not have onboard video. So I suggest you rethink your build before moving forward.

As for a capable PSU... Any single CPU, single GPU, less than 6 hard drives, less than 10 fans, non-overclocked system is served just fine by a 500 watt power supply. There are plenty of good 500-550 watt power supplies that go in the $50-70 range. Research the power supplies available to you, using [H]OCP or Jonnyguru reviews. Or any other review where they use an actual load tester rather than plugging the power supply into a computer system.

Get a GT210 or other cheap POS card until you get a 970. Your CPU does not have the waste of die space that is known at "on-board video". For a PSU, I recommend a Corsair RM550.

Ok thanks. Was looking at Jonnyguru and they have this, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified after rebate for 64.99.

What is the diff between bronze, gold certifications?

Ok thanks. Was looking at Jonnyguru and they have this, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified after rebate for 64.99.

Bronze is a power-guzzling, unreliable PSU, but the gold is efficient and very reliable. I recommend a RM550. Always choose efficiency and quality over raw wattage.

80+ certification levels have to do with efficiency, or how much power is wasted converting AC to DC. The current levels (in order of least efficient to most efficient) are 80+ (nothing), 80+ Bronze, 80+ Silver, 80+ Gold, 80+ Platinum, and 80+ Titanium.

Bronze is a power-guzzling, unreliable PSU, but the gold is efficient and very reliable. I recommend a RM550. Always choose efficiency and quality over raw wattage.

80+ certification levels have absolutely nothing to do with reliability. There are plenty of 80+ gold PSUs that are worse than 80+ bronze PSUs. And the difference in efficiency is nowhere near as dramatic as you make it seem. Especially at the lower power levels.

Well I am buying my PSU tomorrow morning. My budget dropped to 75$ max. I've been looking at reviews from newegg and the web and my eyeballs are now bleeding. What is the best value PSU at 75$ going this week? I would of definitely bought that EVGA had I caught it in time.

Back