computer not playing 1080 video properly

peppergomez

2[H]4U
No idea why, but neither VLC player nor Daum Pot Player will play 1080 videos properly. The audio and video get out of sync and the video eventually freezes.

I've got plenty of RAM and CPU and GPU so this shouldn't be an issue. No idea what's causing this. Both video players are up to date.

codec packs are so 2008.

OP, not sure if it matters, but what container?
MKV I presume?

We went through fits with VLC 2.x, simply cannot get smooth playback on 1080p video without lost frames and sync problems. Meanwhile all versions of 1.x play the same videos perfectly. So if all else fails I'd recommend trying the older branch of VLC (I think 1.1.9 was the last 1.x version).

What's VLC's CPU load in Task Manager while 1080p videos are playing? One option that made a big (~15% CPU) difference on our system was to disable VLC's mouse wheel volume control. Also make sure the option to increase CPU priority is set in both VLC and Haali splitter options (if you have Matroska's splitter installed separately).

We went through fits with VLC 2.x, simply cannot get smooth playback on 1080p video without lost frames and sync problems. Meanwhile all versions of 1.x play the same videos perfectly. So if all else fails I'd recommend trying the older branch of VLC (I think 1.1.9 was the last 1.x version).

What's VLC's CPU load in Task Manager while 1080p videos are playing? One option that made a big (~15% CPU) difference on our system was to disable VLC's mouse wheel volume control. Also make sure the option to increase CPU priority is set in both VLC and Haali splitter options (if you have Matroska's splitter installed separately).

And without going on a huge rant I'll say that people are too willing to just believe that VLC is flawless. Just look about how its spoken about here. Meanwhile codec packs specifically K-Lite have come a LONG way since the days of the "horror stories" and works quite well, yet people here get up in arms about it. Time change guys and what was true 8 years ago may not be true today.

Tried SM Player and I have the same problems. Not sure what the deal is. I have the processing power to play them without issues.

I use Zoom Player by inmatrix and the filter packs it downloads with it work for me for 99% of the videos I play.
I don't have any 1080p video so I am downloading the I am Legend 1080p clip from this site to test,
http://www.h264info.com/clips.html

this is the link to the clip, http://www.dvdloc8.com/clip.php?movieid=13599&clipid=4

see if works on your system, as I am going to test it on my old laptop.

Clip played fine on my old laptop with this graphics chip, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 and AMD Phenom(tm) II N830 Triple-Core Processor
I think this laptop is 5 years old or so.

Last edited:

Thanks for the suggestions, Jeff. I've had a look through VLC's settings (All) and don't see the options for those.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jeff. I've had a look through VLC's settings (All) and don't see the options for those.
In my VLC version (3.0) it's Tools/Prefs/All/Hotkeys settings. Should be same or similar for 2.x.

In my VLC version (3.0) it's Tools/Prefs/All/Hotkeys settings. Should be same or similar for 2.x.

same spot in 2.1.5.
underneath the hotkey configuration is a drop-down for "MouseWheel up-down axis Control"

Things I'd question:

1. Are your video card drivers up to date? Does this problem occur with older video card drivers?
2. Does the problem occur with MPC-HC 1.76 as well?
3. Have you installed any codec packs?
4. Is it possible the video files in question are broken? How exactly are you obtaining them (I'm not asking what they are, just generically how, like are you using a download add-on in a browser, or using a torrenting app and the files are popular and nobody complains about them being broken).

If all else fails, you could boot up a live USB or CD of a linux build like Mint and see if that plays the videos properly.

I don't know what the issue is, but there is literally nothing anyone should be downloading other than MPC-HC (with built in LAV filters) and madVR for video playback. Even VLC seems like it has tons of bloat. The advanced configuration makes me want to go to sleep.

IME MPC-HC does better than VLC at finding and using h/w acceleration, especially on older h/w like pre-8 Nvidia cards.

If you can find a copy of CoreAVC (older versions like 2.5 and 3.0.1 are readily available), it plus WMP runs rings around the free players/codecs, at least for h.264 and again especially on older h/w.

Back