Microsoft CEO: EQ Trumps IQ In the Long Run

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Microsoft's CEO, emotional quotient trumps IQ. I'm sure you guys will remember this quote when someone with an IQ of 68 gets turned down for an engineering job in Redmond.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella quoted Mahatma Gandhi to tell students today, "Live everyday as if it is your last day but learn as if you are going to live forever." He also said that, "In the long run, EQ (emotional quotient) trumps IQ (intelligence quotient). Without being a source of energy for others very little can be accomplished."

I dont know how to perform my job, but my boss gets all emotional when I suck his dick.

Still have my job!

He's just acknowledging that bull shitting will get you farther than being smart. Something most of us in the tech sector figured out years ago with all the jack asses that are running things

What a bunch of HR driven bullshit.

It's true when you consider it in a broader context. When you have a bunch of people who are merely "smart", being able to move them towards a unified goal trumps the lone person who is is "brilliant".

In the long run, impact is measured by how many people you get to follow your ideas, rather than how intelligent your ideas are.

Obviously emotional intelligence trumps intelligence after a certain entry-level barrier is met for the task. Must be a slow press day.

I notice they still have GPA on their job apps.

I am so sick of this pithy soundbites that are utter bullshit with the slightest thought.

What a bold statement!
Her comment sounds very scientific, I wonder what data she possesses to make such claim. Of course, data is not necessary when you IQ is lower than your EQ...

I wonder if Bill Gates EQ is higher than its IQ...

Of course.

There's plenty of people who are smart, but have no common sense, or are so cold and intimidating no one wants to work with them. After a while it's not about what you know but who you know.

Of course.

There's plenty of people who are smart, but have no common sense, or are so cold and intimidating no one wants to work with them. After a while it's not about what you know but who you know.

And there is plenty of peoples who are stupid but very friendly. Working with stupid peoples can also be a pain.

You have to admit that her statement makes sense for Microsoft considering that this company relies more on marketing than innovation.

He's just acknowledging that bull shitting will get you farther than being smart. Something most of us in the tech sector figured out years ago with all the jack asses that are running things

Yup. Bullshit artists and office politicians climb the ladder faster than intelligent, driven people who create actual value.

Let's hope they keep a couple of those worthless high IQ types on the payroll, just in case.

What if I'm an unintelligent, unenergetic, unempathic boor? What about me?

It's true when you consider it in a broader context. When you have a bunch of people who are merely "smart", being able to move them towards a unified goal trumps the lone person who is is "brilliant".

Correct, what's he's talking about here is also know as the "playmaker." There is the tendency in modern society - so driven by logical, technological flow - to focus entirely on direct, objective production. The reality is that the ability to work cross-field with synergies is fast becoming more important than specialization, and this requires a person to empathize with a wide range of people. Brute-forcing technology only takes you so far before you need someone capable of making something greater than the sum of its parts.

All I can say is if you don't enjoy your life and the others around you it's not just you.

Correct, what's he's talking about here is also know as the "playmaker." There is the tendency in modern society - so driven by logical, technological flow - to focus entirely on direct, objective production. The reality is that the ability to work cross-field with synergies... blah blah blah

You lost me at "synergies".

Live everyday as if it is your last day but learn as if you are going to live forever.
This blithe pseudo-wisdom kind of makes me want to vomit a little

Nadella, Confucius you are not.

Influencing other people gets you further. Nothing to do with ass kissing necessarily. A single brilliant person working by himself accomplishes less than someone who can influence and motivate multiple people toward a goal. Hate that idea all you want, it's true.

That said, all EQ and no IQ isn't all that valuable either.

The same could be said about IQ. I think the perfect balance of both would be ideal rather than focusing on one or the other. But in tech, I'm not sure how focusing on EQ is better than IQ.

As an example. I manage a group of highly technical and intelligent people. Some of them want to move up the ladder. Simply being the smartest in the group doesn't mean you are ready for that. The next step may require responsibilities that are impossible to fulfill working on your own. One of the things I ask them to show me is to extend their influence over others, in a positive way, show they can rally troops to work towards a goal.

That is a EQ heavy skill. I certainly value heavily someone that's all IQ, but if they are only capable of being an independent contributor there is only so much responsibility you can give them. And, quite frankly, most IQ types realize and are OK with this. As long as you show respect.

That's right folks, you can be as smart as Einstein ------ but if you don't know how to play politics, suck cock or make everyone love you, you're not getting anywhere in this society.

You know what trumps EQ though, in the long run, is making software that doesn't drive off customers with terrible UIs.

You know what trumps EQ though, in the long run, is making software that doesn't drive off customers with terrible UIs.

No one person accomplishes that though. Teams of people do. And someone has to bring them together towards that common goal.

Correct, what's he's talking about here is also know as the "playmaker." There is the tendency in modern society - so driven by logical, technological flow - to focus entirely on direct, objective production. The reality is that the ability to work cross-field with synergies is fast becoming more important than specialization, and this requires a person to empathize with a wide range of people. Brute-forcing technology only takes you so far before you need someone capable of making something greater than the sum of its parts.

LMAO.

Fucking MBAs.

That's right folks, you can be as smart as Einstein ------ but if you don't know how to play politics, suck cock or make everyone love you, you're not getting anywhere in this society.

Wasn't Einstein well liked and great with people? I'm just saying that I personally associate people with extreme intelligence with being likeable. They understand the human condition holding everyone else back.

Back