Thermaltake Core V51 Mid-Tower Case Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Core V51 Mid-Tower Case Review - Thermaltake has some very lofty goals set for its new mid-tower case. Its primary goal is to deliver outstanding cooling performance which is always high on our priority list as well. Form and function both seem to be well served in this new Core V51 model as its performance profile is not hard on the eyes.

This case is a water cooler's dream. 840mm of rad space in a mid-to-full tower? Without using the bottom rad space? Are you kidding me?

The best part is there are still places to mount hard disks in this case even with dual triple 140mm rads or dual triple 360mm rads. Pretty impressive. Nice review guys, and this is probably the best case ThermalTake has ever made, or made in the past five years.

Edit: And it's not hideously ugly or suffering from major quality or design issues.

This one is on my watch list now for sure.

Kyle, you mention up to tri-SLI, so quad would not be possible in this case?

This one is on my watch list now for sure.

Kyle, you mention up to tri-SLI, so quad would not be possible in this case?

It would depend on your motherboard. If you can utilize all eight expansion slots you probably could.

The problem is, the first slot on many newer motherboards is the 1x PCI Express. Meaning your GPU will have to be installed in the second (of 8) expansion card slot. That means our configuration ended up being an open slot, GPUs taking up 6 slots and another open slot.

Pretty impressive and good review.

Thermaltake really stepping up their game, makes them a consideration now. Some how though, still not fond of their styling.

I have just done a new Haswell-E build with the big brother Core V71 and I really like it. Corsair always seems to be the go-to option, but for water cooling I preferred to get this over the 760T.

Excellent case and review.

I avoided Thermaltake's cases in the distant past, due to their styling.
As such, I didn't take notice when they brought out the Core and Urban case lines, but they're a welcome addition.

A big thumbs-up for 8 expansion slots.
I'm not sure why so many case makers stick with 7 slots, even on their full tower models.
The extra 3/4" in case height needed can't be that big of a deal and it really limits your case options when dealing with multi-GPU systems.

I also like the short trays used for 5.25" drives and the ability to remove them.

The one design opportunity they missed:
Designing the optical trays to use the same mechanism of attachment as used with the drive cages.

That would allow you extend the drive cage attachment design up to the top of the case, giving you the ability to use the drive cages in the area traditionally used for optical drives and vice versa.

All that said, this will be a serious contender for my next build.

It would depend on your motherboard. If you can utilize all eight expansion slots you probably could.

The problem is, the first slot on many newer motherboards is the 1x PCI Express. Meaning your GPU will have to be installed in the second (of 8) expansion card slot. That means our configuration ended up being an open slot, GPUs taking up 6 slots and another open slot.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Rampage V Extreme, while I doubt that 4 way is in the cards for me, it's not out of the question. I assume since the RVE is E-ATX it should be fine with this case for 4 cards?

It has been a long time since I've seen a Thermaltake case I really like. If I wasn't thinking more about going for small configurations these days I would be taking a long considering look at this case. I really like the look of it and those are some impressive radiator mounting options for a mid-tower.

Really liking this case. I am in the market for a new one and this just went to the top of my list. I can't say in recent memory I saw a Thermaltake case I thought was this good.

Back