Why Destiny's Loot System Isn't As Broken As You Think

HardOCP News

[H] News
This guy seems to think that Destiny's loot system might not be as bad as you think. Not as bad? Hell, it's worse. Then again, what would most of us know anyway, we're still too busy grinding for gear. :(

In Destiny, loot comes from "engrams" which are essentially goody bags of various quality that can be opened by an NPC in the game’s main town called the Cryptarch. The quality of the engrams dropped by enemies and the quality of the loot contained in them is a function of the level of the player’s character rather than the enemy dropping the loot, and nearly any enemy in the game can drop engrams.

It's certainly "interesting" but I don't their loot system is *THAT* bad. Get lucky or save up and buy stuff if you're unlucky. It's just the same way in other games mostly. Of course people always find the most efficient way to get gear (ie the loot caves). I got lucky and found a legendary Auto Rifle and Exotic Fusion Rifle within a couple days but all my gear I've had to buy because I can't for the life of me find any armor engrams that turn into legendary gear (fu Cryptarch). But the whole thing of finding Legendary Engrams and having them de-code to Legendary gear THAT'S NOT EVEN FOR YOUR CLASS is totally effed.

But the whole thing of finding Legendary Engrams and having them de-code to Legendary gear THAT'S NOT EVEN FOR YOUR CLASS is totally effed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5o1hMRANfg

Watch the video, it has happened to me a ton of times. I call it the Legendary Disappointment Engram

OR

PUPLE orb drops...Legendary baby! Return to orbit...loading screen...select the tower, click launch....loading screen...another loading screen / animation...haul ass over to the Cryptarch...DECODES INTO A GREEN / BLUE helmet. :mad:

It's quite disappointing getting a strange coin instead of a rare item. :(

Fuck a Engram I see why everyone is getting purples instead of my level 21....

Done with this game....

I see this game for 14.99 at Gamestop next year in big numbers with scratched disks.

there's a patch coming to fix this so hopefully it will get better. Id say if you have a group of friends to play with, it makes this game much better. Still the SP content is sorely lacking.

There should be a system that sits on top of the random seeding such that you can't get burned forever

It is not that bad.... it's a fun game! I played it for 12 hours straight yesterday. I don't remember the last time I played a game that much.

ALSO, it should say "chance" of getting [insert items] for doing missions. You do the Daily Heroic Story on Very Hard, get to the end...random engram generator feels you deserve ZILCH. Nice.

Destiny's issues revolve around it's content and loot system. Very little content with a random loot system. This either makes the game very boring and quick like Diablo 3 or a huge grind feast like World of Warcraft. Nobody likes this shit cause everyone wants instant gratification. Again, notice these games are from Activations. But nobody complains about Dark Souls 2 loot system, which is mostly static. You kill this boss you get this item. There are random drops but it's mostly for looking like an NPC instead of good quality gear.

People want more content with harder bosses that give guaranteed loot. Where as like Destiny it's short content that was extended by having a random loot system. Cause that's why a random loot system exist, to extend content.

Hey, all I can say is its just as bad, if not worse then as Diablo 3's loot system up until loot 2.0
It has nearly no content and is 100% about grinding.
At least D3 had a story....

Would be cool if they had something like in FFXI's Astral Cadence.. lose control of an area certain NPC don't show up.

2D 9H 25M in and I'm level 24 with only legendary gun. :(

Reminds me when everyone was mad at Diablo 3, rather than Blizzard fix the loot tables so 99.999999999% of the time you didn't pick up shit, they just took out the area's you could get easy loot

Great trailer, boring game.

This was another release for the gamer who will buy anything this week, and more crap next week.

We've been going thru my 20k+ Q2 maps lately; hard to believe there's really nothing better, 20 years later.

Guys, the game will be really fun by the time DLC #6 comes out, sometime in 2018....just keep playing it, it will be worth it. Heck Bungie is soooooo nice they will give you 2 of the those DLC's for free...

/sarcasm

On a more serious note, this might be one of the games you need to wait and buy the "Game Of The Decade Edition" in 5 years or so for $20. It might be sorted out by then and have a mostly complete story mode.

I'm amazed that no one is talking about how big of a troll this guy is. "And I'll level with you: by "some players," I mean me. I call it the disco cave, and I go there to dance. The messages I get are hilarious." He is intentionally pissing people off because he thinks it is funny and bragging about it.

Destiny uses a loot stream and is not technically just rng. Lootstream is a technology that tracks many variables that determine what loot will drop for you. Essentially it is fancy rng.

After playing wow and diablo 3 its not bad however its not good ether. i could be improved.

Destiny uses a loot stream and is not technically just rng. Lootstream is a technology that tracks many variables that determine what loot will drop for you. Essentially it is fancy rng.

It's broken RNG until they fix it. Even then, I can't imagine it being very fun for people who just want to play a bit and then get to level 30.

Back