Twitter Troll Jailed For 18 Weeks

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wouldn't it be nice if they just did this to trolls everywhere?

A man was jailed for 18 weeks on Monday for a campaign of rape threats and other abuse on Twitter against a female MP. Peter Nunn, 33, targeted opposition Labour MP Stella Creasy in July and August 2013 after she backed a campaign to put author Jane Austen on the £10 banknote.

I don't like the idea that the definition of a troll is a person making rape threats. Trolls are typically people who disrupt conversions with nonsense. Rape threats is just harassment.

I don't like the idea that the definition of a troll is a person making rape threats. Trolls are typically people who disrupt conversions with nonsense. Rape threats is just harassment.
Actually, by the letter of the law, a rape threat is considered assault. You don't actually have to harm anyone physically to be charged with assault, it can be the threat of force also.

What's interesting is that the people in this forum seem to be taking the exact opposite stance as the people in the Yahoo thread. Perhaps gamers are more compassionate?

What's interesting is that the people in this forum seem to be taking the exact opposite stance as the people in the Yahoo thread. Perhaps gamers are more compassionate?
Some probably buy into the scumbag's excuse that he was tweeting hypothetically. The thing is, in the US one might actually get away with it on that basis, both on 1st amendment grounds and because public figures in the US enjoy less protection from various forms of otherwise actionable speech..

First he says he's pretending, then he says "If you can't threaten to rape a celebrity, what is the point in having them?" At least keep your story straight you wanker.

Good. I hope he shares a cell with Bubba.

From what I've learned 'rapes' in prisons are a lot less common then they're made out to be in the movies/media. Most gay sex in prison is consensual. I'm also sure there aren't that many guys names 'Bubba' in prison, or anywhere...lol.

Agreed. Next thing, stalkers will be lumped in with trolls. There's a clear line between rape/harassment and trolling.

Agreed. Next thing, stalkers will be lumped in with trolls. There's a clear line between rape/harassment and trolling.

Why not? Everyone with a difference of opinion is already a troll because people have a need to categorize everything in order to understand it. That need is so pressing that their minds don't even care if the categorization is correct. What's important is that things are placed under some sorta label so they can be referred to collectively. Thus, everyone is a troll. :)

giving a time when you'll commit a crime is strange. it's a different level of harassment. but it's still harassment. is it really worth jail time when you can just block the person and never see them again? if you walk into the police station and tell the cop at the desk that you'll fuck him up his ass tonight, do you go to jail for 18 weeks?

I see this as a failure of the social network to have a successful blocking feature. the guy just kept re-registering to harass more. I think mixing words with jails is a dangerous thing.

how about we keep actual murderers in jail instead of letting them out to murder again and then putting them back in jail again. how about we give people psych tests and a "you're crazy" card. locking up this asshole will do zero dot nothing about his broken brain harassing again in the future.

So you can have thin skin and play dumb and claim you feel threatened and the opposition gets locked up..
Getting jail time based off of empty threats..

From what I've learned 'rapes' in prisons are a lot less common then they're made out to be in the movies/media. Most gay sex in prison is consensual. I'm also sure there aren't that many guys names 'Bubba' in prison, or anywhere...lol.

Where'd you 'learn' that? Giving it up to avoid being beaten is not consensual, lol.

So you can have thin skin and play dumb and claim you feel threatened and the opposition gets locked up..
Bottom line: Threatening people with violence is illegal. That people do it all the time and nothing comes of it is irrelevant; there has to be a mechanism in place to prevent violent crimes when it's possible to do so.

If some random person riding the Innertubez threatens me, I'm probably not going to think too much of it. If said random person pursues me to continue the threats after I've either disengaged or not engaged in the first place, there's a point at which I'm either going to a) start taking the threats seriously or b) find a way to stop this person from stalking me (also illegal, and for the same reasons as threats of violence).

Free speech is great but there have always been limits.

Troll is the most misused word in forum history. I love it when people label you a troll just because you don't agree with the consensus.

I you can't present even a minimal rebuttal to a tweet without making threats, you fail at life and can be prosecuted for it.

Back