Did I just blow a bunch of money on 295x2?? OR..What am I missing?

xringx

n00b
Purchase a 295x2.. It did ok...added a 290x that I had, did better. So I took out the 290x and added another 295x2..Now huge stuttering issues

Using Beta 14.7 drivers, which were better for me than 14.9 current

Current specs.

i7-5930K OC'ed to 4.40
16Gb DDR 4
Asus X99 Deluxe
OS on Samsung 840 PRO
Game on Crucial M something SSD
1300w EVGA G2 PSU

I play games on 3 monitors...3240X1920

The game I have the most trouble with is Planetside 2. On medium settings I get decent FPS, but stuttering all over the fn place.

Doesnt matter what I change the setting to..stuttering. So I thought maybe I was having anothe issue..drivers, new card not quite right, etc..

Firestrike score 19,885..Obviously shit is working. There is a but here.. during the process, there was some, dont want to say stuttering..but kinda of a shift thing in the picture at times..

IF i go into ANY kind of windowed mode (even at 3240x1920), all but one core shuts down and the game plays decent with NO STUTTER. I am using MSI Afterburner to show core usage.

Why does 1 single core on the 295x2 window mode at 3240x1920 do better than a 290x full screen (3240x1920) with FPS?

Should I just move to Nvidia Maxwell or some other kind of single GPU? I have been a ATI/AMD guy since my first ATI Rage Pro...Long time...

I understand that I might be asking the wrong things out of my cards and its not an AMD issue, then fine...Maybe Nvidia is what I need.... Shit, obviously I am willing to work through all the software/driver glitches with AMD through the years..But I see no path to fixing this..

Can I get some clues from others?

If I missed a piece of data that you think important, please ask.. I may have tried it and or forgot to list it here...

PSU... that PSU isn't enough for the 295x2 in quadfire, the stuttering/blinking and other problems are caused for not have enough power to feed the cards..

I agree with Araxie. [H]ardocp concurs also.

"That means we can recommend a more affordable PSU for running TriFire, a 1200W PSU at the minimum with an average CPU overclock. If of course you have a very high CPU overclock, pushing voltage, and or other components like radiators and such for water cooling or just have a lot of internal devices, then we might recommend 1350W PSU to give everything the proper amperage and 12V rail support."

PSU... that PSU isn't enough for the 295x2 in quadfire, the stuttering/blinking and other problems are caused for not have enough power to feed the cards..
Indeed.
1398608771E00DoLb4GU_13_1.gif

And this was with a 95W i7-3770k. The i7-5930k has a TDP of 140W. You're going to need at least a 1500W power supply.

He can add in a second 800w PSU for the second card assuming that he's not overclocking. :D

a 4.4ghz 5930K its indeed a power hog.. both GPU and or CPU may be lack of enough power to run under full load both.. so yes a good 800W with the enough Amperage per Rail or total should be good as dedicated PSU..

i have a 2nd EVGA G2 850w that I will hook up and see if it solves my issue...

Do i assume correctly that I cross the pins on the 28pin and then I can make the thing work on its own?

24 pin green to black..got it..

i have a 2nd EVGA G2 850w that I will hook up and see if it solves my issue...

Do i assume correctly that I cross the pins on the 28pin and then I can make the thing work on its own?

yup thats correct.. or use something like the pics below which its much better...

312xJT2UdVL.jpg

313pLsaUU5L.jpg

Well, 2nd PSU helped with the stutter..but still not nearly acceptable.

To prove to myself that I was seeing an improvement, I ran it both ways twice to make sure.

Fire strike score was 600pt lower on the 2nd round.

Just to kill the PSU therory.. I am going to hookup a 3rd PSU, one for each card, one for the system. See what we get....

That will be
1300w for system
850w for vid 1
750w for vid 2

In the games that you are getting the stuttering in try using a game pad like an xbox 360 controller. Once upon a time I had an issue like yours that I could remedy with a game pad.

[H]ard ass thread, here OP, let me punch your card

Just hit me in the face..might go better...

Well, I have some more details...might be bit of a recap...

1. Added the HX 750 to one vid card... stutter was less, but still completely unacceptable.
2. Tried to run just the new card...cant boot. After about 4 tries, I install older 295x2, machine boots.
3. Install new one again, just the single card, machine boots, but my crap is all funky, plus I got a couple of flashes of wierd shit..not the ussual artifacty type shit, but still..and I cant manage the screens in terms of size, resolution, orientation..and one monitor is completely out..

So, its an RMA. God I hope its just a bad card and new one gets me to decent ground.

I will shoot my own self for getting into this if I get a good card and I still have massive issue with games.....Which I know is a possibilty.

Or I cut my losses and try Nvidia.. Its just that I dont think there is a single card out there that can do 3240x1920 with med to high settings....at least nothing in the AMD vid card line up..

ahhh,

I think you just got to the bottom of it

AMDs multi card thing has been working pretty well the last couple years, I think it will work out for you

Newegg taken care of me and free next day air for the replacement!

To be continued tomorrow..

1. New card in and works great..for sure it was the other "new" card.

2. I still have stuttering on Planetside 2, but greatly reduced. Its almost playable. Now its time to play with drivers, setting etc..

3. Firestrike scores with some methodology here:

Score of 19,996 was "new" bad current, current good card and OC on CPU
Score of 16,680 is score with just the new card that arrived today, no OC on CPU
Score of 24,607,4,611pts higher than test 1 with 2 cards (one that arrived today and current good card), NO OC on CPU
Score of 26,752 with 2 cards and OC on CPU....
Score of 25,743 with 2 cards, CPU oc and the 2nd video card run by independent PSU.

So, the stuttering is not the PSU if you choose to believe the Firestrike score.

So, overall I happy to resolved an issue.

I do not think the issue of scaling with 2 x 295x2 on the particular games I am currently playing will resolve themselves..I still have many things to try, to test game play and FPS, but i can see myself returning the card in a few days

did you buy the 295x2 as an open box on newegg? i'm talking about the one you returned

i've had open box videocards from them and had issues, took the stock heatsink/fan assembly off and apparently somebody forgot to put thermal pads back on the VRMs

lol.

When I played planetside 2 with my surround/sli setup I had a similar issue. It made a huge difference when I used nvidia inspector and set the sli compatibility bits to the ALAN WAKE profile, worked wonders. Not sure if that would still work anymore though.

No, this was not an open box...

Newegg treated me well, they took off overnight shipping plus some, making my out the door price less than listed.

switched to 14.9 drivers...no jitter...FPS aint so hot..but stutter is gone..

Still tweaking.

Is it possible for game play to improve even though there has been no changes to the drivers, hardware, settings and no game patches?

this has happend twice now. I dismissed it the first time, thinking I might have done something.

But I settled on some base settings for Planetside 2 and I havent gotten around to tweaking it all.... about 2hr into my game through out the evening, my FPS on the same settings jumped from mid teens to mid 30's creeping into the 40's....

Did something "warm" up?

Caché in action.. =).. HDD/SSD cache, CPU cache, GPU cache, RAM cache.. all of those (specially RAM) overtime show a improvement in performance just for the fact that at the first moment game are loading still textures.. (and more in a game like planetside where all people can be different at a time).. so after a couple of matches they game may be fully loaded into RAM and vRAM, Characters, weapons, effects, Maps.. etc.. certainly improving the performance.. specially if you are using HDD as it tend to perform slower in this kind of games..

I have toyed with the idea of getting a second 295x2 for my computer, but I am going to wait to see what is going on with the "Big Maxwell" when that comes out in the future.

I have 4 290x, so a similar setup, and I know scaling is an issue with four GPUs (we get better scaling with just three cards, and some games even feel smoother with just three in CF instead of four).

Back