'Mental Forces' To Blame For Bending iPhones

HardOCP News

[H] News
The iPhone 6 has awakened "the mind powers" of ten million people and that's why the phones are bending. Seems legit. :D

“There are two possible explanations,” Uri Geller, the psychic illusionist famous for bending spoons with his mind, told MarketWatch. “Either the phone is so seriously thin and flimsy that it is bendable with mere physical force, which I cannot believe given the extensive tests Apple would have done. Or — and this is far more plausible — somehow the energy and excitement of the 10 million people who purchased iPhones has awakened their mind powers and caused the phones to bend.”

Do not try and bend the iPhone. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no iPhone, only a mountain of hype surrounding two year old tech.
smiley-face-matrix-006.gif

Uri Geller, trying to squeeze some media attention out of the iPhone bending.
Smart for him, but shame on him for making a career out of what essentially equates to being a liar.

Do not try and bend the iPhone. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no iPhone, only a mountain of hype surrounding two year old tech.

giphy.gif

No, it's a design problem.

Consumer reports just tested how many pounds of force it takes to bend several current phones models.

iPhone 6 - 70 pounds
iPhone 6+ - 90 pounds
LG G3 - 130 pounds
iPhone 5 - 130 pounds
Samsung Note 3 - 150 pounds.

The Note 3 is over twice as strong as the iPhone 6.

Also, notice that the iPhone 6 & 6+ are not only weaker than the tested android phones, they are significantly weaker than the iPhone 5.

Dammit. Now I officially have nothing to say. You win the internets today sir.

Well if it a "Mental Forces" problem, that would explain Apple only receiving 9 complaints. :p

2 year old tech that beats 99.9% of Android based phones in most benchmarks.

Consumer reports just tested how many pounds of force it takes to bend several current phones models.

iPhone 6 - 70 pounds
iPhone 6+ - 90 pounds
LG G3 - 130 pounds
iPhone 5 - 130 pounds

Also, notice that the iPhone 6 & 6+ are not only weaker than the tested android phones, they are significantly weaker than the iPhone 5.

Huh, an yet the original "bendgate" video guy came up with significantly different results when he test all those phones. I'll be I can come up with a testing methodology that will make whichever phone you want look the weakest.

Squaretrade, an insurance company whose profits depend on accurately determining the real risk of damage to a device rated the iPhone 6 as the most durable smartphone they've ever tested.

iPhone 6 - 70 pounds
iPhone 6+ - 90 pounds
LG G3 - 130 pounds
iPhone 5 - 130 pounds

You might want to include the HTC One that bent at 70 and came apart at 90. Weakest of the bunch.

Huh, an yet the original "bendgate" video guy came up with significantly different results when he test all those phones. I'll be I can come up with a testing methodology that will make whichever phone you want look the weakest.

Squaretrade, an insurance company whose profits depend on accurately determining the real risk of damage to a device rated the iPhone 6 as the most durable smartphone they've ever tested.
Squaretrade doesn't include "bending" in it's durability tests. They've already said that if they get too many claims for bending, they'll include it for future durability tests. Seeing as this is specifically about bending, I'd say that's a pretty important omission. If we were talking about overall durability, yeah, I'd say Squaretrade would be the place to look.

They did a quick and dirty set of "tests" (if you can call them that) after the whole bending thing was discovered, where they passed an Iphone around the office seeing if anyone could bend it with their hands (keep up the controlled testing guys!), and had a guy in skinny jeans do squats with it in his front pocket. That's not very rigorous or thorough.

I'll take what CR says as fact, unless you can point to some hard numbers that say otherwise.

I think fraudster Uri Geller has a point... on the top of his head.

For some reason I was thinking this guy was dead. Hadn't heard anything from him since he sued Nintendo over a Pokemon. Oh well, anything to get your name out there I guess.

1. Source for that 99.9%? It sounds grossly exaggerated. I'm not doubting that the number is a significant majority, just not as high as 99.9%.
2. The only reason that number could be that high is because Android software is on such a diverse set of hardware. It runs on extremely low end phones, and every phone manufacturer is given license to modify the OS slightly to their needs and install their own software.
3. The low end of a product spectrum almost always outsells the high end.
4. To fairly compare the iPhone to other phones via benchmarks (be they Android, Windows Phone, etc.), you have to compare it to other phones *IN ITS CLASS*. Phones such as Samsung Galaxy series, Samsung Note series, HTC One series, Google Nexus series, etc. What you have done is almost equivalent of comparing one particular model of Mercedes Benz to every car offered by the Volkswagen Group and saying that the Mercedes is better than all of them because the low end of the product spectrum brings the average down.

iPhone 6 - 70 pounds
iPhone 6+ - 90 pounds
LG G3 - 130 pounds
iPhone 5 - 130 pounds

Nutzo left out the HTC One, and not by accident, but rather an intellectually dishonest attempt to mislead. This is what consumer reports had to say:

"All the phones we tested showed themselves to be pretty tough. The iPhone 6 Plus, the more robust of the new iPhones in our testing, started to deform when we reached 90 pounds of force, and came apart with 110 pounds of force. With those numbers, it slightly outperformed the HTC One (which is largely regarded as a sturdy, solid phone), as well as the smaller iPhone 6, yet underperformed some other smartphones," Consumer Reports said.

1. Source for that 99.9%? It sounds grossly exaggerated. I'm not doubting that the number is a significant majority, just not as high as 99.9%.
2. The only reason that number could be that high is because Android software is on such a diverse set of hardware. It runs on extremely low end phones, and every phone manufacturer is given license to modify the OS slightly to their needs and install their own software.
3. The low end of a product spectrum almost always outsells the high end.
4. To fairly compare the iPhone to other phones via benchmarks (be they Android, Windows Phone, etc.), you have to compare it to other phones *IN ITS CLASS*. Phones such as Samsung Galaxy series, Samsung Note series, HTC One series, Google Nexus series, etc. What you have done is almost equivalent of comparing one particular model of Mercedes Benz to every car offered by the Volkswagen Group and saying that the Mercedes is better than all of them because the low end of the product spectrum brings the average down.

Wait, the low end almost always outsells the higher end? Really? But phandroids make no such distinction when they brag about market share, lol.

In nearly every benchmark, iPhone 6 trounces the s5 and HTC One. How is that possible with "two year old hardware"?

Nutzo left out the HTC One, and not by accident, but rather an intellectually dishonest attempt to mislead. This is what consumer reports had to say:

"All the phones we tested showed themselves to be pretty tough. The iPhone 6 Plus, the more robust of the new iPhones in our testing, started to deform when we reached 90 pounds of force, and came apart with 110 pounds of force. With those numbers, it slightly outperformed the HTC One (which is largely regarded as a sturdy, solid phone), as well as the smaller iPhone 6, yet underperformed some other smartphones," Consumer Reports said.

Actually the initial story I read didn't include the HTC One, so it was that story, not me that was miss leading.

However, I stand corrected, there is at least one Android phone that is a bendy (both deformed at 70 pounds) as the iPhone 6 :)

Synthetic benchmarks are worthless. In real use iPhone 6+ browser scrolling lags and reloads with two tabs when viewing complex pages compared to two year old Note II.

Talking about synthetic benchmarks on [H] Forum is a fail.

p.s
Uri Geller is an idiot that will use any chance for some free publicity.

Wait, the low end almost always outsells the higher end? Really? But phandroids make no such distinction when they brag about market share, lol.

In nearly every benchmark, iPhone 6 trounces the s5 and HTC One. How is that possible with "two year old hardware"?

I bet you still wank off to your Futuremark score too.
Android does what iOS can't, live play ALL audio and video files and experience flash on the web (its possible on a non-rooted phone, just search XDA for flash) in a FULL DESKTOP VIEW browser that can run multiple tabs without crashing or slowing down to a pathetic crawl.
Plus I get free Albums, books, and I don't need a credit card, a $15 iTunes pre-purchased card or an elaborate web guided walk around to use the Google Play store which is basically what you HAVE to do for an iTunes account to use the Apple App Store.
Screw Apple.

Back