China Blocks Instagram Over Pro-Democracy Protest Images

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Internet has been used in many ways over the years, some use it to promote freedoms and some to censor them. China hasn’t had the best of records when it comes to Internet freedom and it’s proving that again by blocking Instagram all across the China mainland over pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.

The block on Instagram comes during the largest day for protests, with nearly 60,000 citizens from Hong Kong taking to the streets and protesting in favor of what they call "full democracy," a concept which likely doesn't include the censorship of internet sites.

Clearly the communist government needs to pay for another Michael Bay movie ASAP, as clearly Transformers wasn't enough.

The Western media is just better at making it look like they aren't censoring when in fact they promote their own agendas. Really no different in the long run.

I always thought it was that and a mixture of representative democratic republic, since the founding fathers realized it would've been absolutely insane to give total control to the people.

Yeah people would stop the chemtrails immediately if they had the power.

I always thought it was that and a mixture of representative democratic republic, since the founding fathers realized it would've been absolutely insane to give total control to the people.
It's more like a plutocracy now though that doesn't recognize the importance of the people, not a far cry from what the USA rebelled from in the first place.

We are a constitutional republic. However we haven't been very constitutional lately.

US doesn't actually care.. in fact US is dropping in press freedom and human rights rankings.
We don't care, we just like hitting over the head other countries with our fake high moral standards stick.

The Chi-coms hate Freedom. Of course, we don't like it very much, either.

The Western media is just better at making it look like they aren't censoring when in fact they promote their own agendas. Really no different in the long run.

Quote of the day.
So much truth.

US doesn't actually care.. in fact US is dropping in press freedom and human rights rankings.
We don't care, we just like hitting over the head other countries with our fake high moral standards stick.

Wow, so many anti-US comments in this thread. Remind me again which parts of the Internet the US Government blocks?

In the US we have a whole generation that has grown up with a free internet; it's not going anywhere. Never before have people in the US been so individually empowered as they are now with a free internet.

Some here need a serious reality check. The only reason there is even anything related to protests going on in China at all is because it is happening in Hong Kong. The only reason there are people there that even know what the word Democracy means is because it used to be a territory of Great Britain before they gifted it to China in the late 90's. Since then China has been slowly trying to erode the freedoms that they enjoyed as a British territory with the goal of eventually bringing it to a parity with the rest of the country (aka no freedom whatsoever). Protests like these, if they were happening in a different part of China, would probably result in mass graves that would put even ISIS to shame.

Wow, so many anti-US comments in this thread. Remind me again which parts of the Internet the US Government blocks?

They don't have to block it, they just manipulate it to their will.
This is probably worse, since it is sneaky and underhanded, where as China is at least up front with what they do and don't allow; I can at least respect this since the people can know where they stand.

Both situations are sad affairs though, as all information should be free. :(

In the US we have a whole generation that has grown up with a free internet; it's not going anywhere. Never before have people in the US been so individually empowered as they are now with a free internet.

Some here need a serious reality check.

Internet freedom has declined in the United States over the past year as a result of its surveillance policies, reflecting a trend that appears to have caught on worldwide, according to a recently released study. The study [PDF], conducted by Freedom House, gauged Internet freedom in 60 countries by tracking obstacles to access information online, limits on content, and violations of user rights. Among the issues cited in the report are government agencies’ outright blocking of specific Internet content, surveillance measures, and legal and violent repercussions taken against those who use the Internet to criticize governing or religious bodies. Source
Yeah, reality, where I frequent my life.

Yeah, reality, where I frequent my life.

I notice that you still didn't provide a specific example of absolutely anything whatsoever that is actually blocked in any way shape or form. Bullshit statistics are easy.

I notice that you still didn't provide a specific example of absolutely anything whatsoever that is actually blocked in any way shape or form. Bullshit statistics are easy.
We're better at it in the USA than in China. Instead of censoring people overtly, we just drown everything out with propaganda so that the noise ratio is so high nothing important happens. I mean tell me this isn't controlling the media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM8L7bdwVaA

I actually did, you missed it, spying on people makes them less likely to talk openly.
Cheers.

I actually did, you missed it, spying on people makes them less likely to talk openly.
Cheers.

Not sure how that is relevant to what I actually asked:

Remind me again which parts of the Internet the US Government blocks?

But it is telling that the best you can come up with is "spying" making people "less likely" to "talk". Does "fear of death" also make people less likely to "talk"? Because that's what people have to deal with in most of China.

Not sure how that is relevant to what I actually asked.

ThePoint.jpg

This thread is about Instagram being Blocked by China, and I was pointing out the fact that, in comparison, absolutely nothing is blocked in the US.

What did you think think this thread was about? :p

Or if you're still confused, go ahead and post more stupid images.

Just ignore the fact that spying on people makes them less likely to openly converse about important topics. Thus blocking them from openly giving their thoughts on important topics. Specific example.

https://www.aclu.org/spy-files

Just ignore the fact that spying on people makes them less likely to openly converse about important topics. Thus blocking them from openly giving their thoughts on important topics. Specific example.

https://www.aclu.org/spy-files

So being on-topic = ignoring everything else?

And if the "fear of spying" is the only thing stopping people here in the US from speaking their minds on the internet, then I think we're doing pretty good. And seriously, people being "afraid" to speak their mind is not a problem we have here in the US. If anything, we have too much of the opposite :p

But I'm sure you have a bunch more random links :rolleyes:

So being on-topic = ignoring everything else?

You're the one that made commented to me. Then when you didn't like the facts you started screaming 'not on topic'.

The rest of what you said is garbage and doesn't need addressing so, yes, lets do it, 'Back On Topic'....

This thread is about Instagram being Blocked by China, and I was pointing out the fact that, in comparison, absolutely nothing is blocked in the US.

What did you think think this thread was about? :p

Or if you're still confused, go ahead and post more stupid images.

There's been a degradation of freedoms and privacy in the US. But the exaggerated nihilistic attitude is the most useless of all. It makes a mockery of serious discussion and thereby prevents it. Notice you get no realistic options offered by the US freedom nihilists. If I wanted opposition to reduced freedoms to be stymied, I want those kind of comments and attitude cultivated. Pretty much guarantees I won't be effectively opposed.

Back