Windows 7’s Slow Sunset Continues with October 31st Deadline

We'll see. They tried pushing Win7 out of the market with the launch of Win8.

Yet, once people found out how bad the Win8 experience was, the various OEMs made a HUGE show of supporting Win7 at the expense of Win8.

Has that changed yet? NOPE. Win9 isn't here yet.

So expect some strong-arming in Microsoft's direction to extend the availability of Win7.

I personally want a laptop that comes with no OS and shows in price. That way I can put whatever I want like Linux.

aaaaarrrrrrgggg we are just recovering from a year long Win7 deployment project!!!!!!!!!

I personally want a laptop that comes with no OS and shows in price. That way I can put whatever I want like Linux.
So the laptop will be 30-50$ less (at most), I doubt Microsoft charge more than that to a computer manufacturer that sells millions of copies per year. The price difference won't be noticeable.

So the laptop will be 30-50$ less (at most), I doubt Microsoft charge more than that to a computer manufacturer that sells millions of copies per year. The price difference won't be noticeable.

It'll be less than that probably. No OS means no bloatware, crapware or Nortonware that usually earns the manufacturer some money.

It takes years and years of planning for companies to migrate OSes, MS has to stop trying to keep pushing out new OSes and expecting people to move so fast.

Heck the company I work for is in early stages of testing win7, after many years of planing. So now they'll have trouble getting it because MS will stop selling it. Stupid, really.

IHeck the company I work for is in early stages of testing win7, after many years of planing. So now they'll have trouble getting it because MS will stop selling it. Stupid, really.
I think it works differently for people who have corporate license agreements with Microsoft. It would just be a matter of adding more to the volume license agreement.

This is working like it always has. Consumer sales end of the prior Windows version end somewhere with the year of the current version's successor release. Business sales, VL customers, etc. can continue well past this date.

I want this 100%. Many times, I already have an OS license (or like you said - Linux). I usually format and reinstall, anyway. Many times using my own key. If I could save $25-50 off the cost, I would. That's a game or two (or 10 if I catch a Steam sale!).

Windows 9 is just around the corner. I'd kind of expect that they stop selling the previous version by then. It's only been available due to the poor reception of Windows 8. I certainly don't want users out buying Windows 98 or XP because "it just works like I want it". Time to put 7 to bed and move on. If you have it, keep it. But, to buy an old OS because you just like it better? It won't be available nor should it be supported. I liked Windows 98SE. I sure as shit wouldn't want to have to buy it or support it now.

This is working like it always has. Consumer sales end of the prior Windows version end somewhere with the year of the current version's successor release. Business sales, VL customers, etc. can continue well past this date.

"...working like it always has," is sort of like saying:
its_not_a_bug_its_a_feature_post_cards-rcb3e2c47dece4e6489cea1d6567da2d1_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

:D

But yeah, anyhow they do this kinda stuff -- you know, stop selling a perfectly functional OS and stick you with icky shovelware that no one wants so the shovelware's sales look good and people can say, "But the Steam Survey indicates it's popular!"

But yeah, anyhow they do this kinda stuff -- you know, stop selling a perfectly functional OS and stick you with icky shovelware that no one wants so the shovelware's sales look good and people can say, "But the Steam Survey indicates it's popular!"

And in a few days you'll have something new to complain about. Don't worry, be happy!:D

Same as they do for cars, though. When they make a new model, they discontinue the older one. Eventually, they aren't supported anymore. Same with any product, really. I don't see why it's a big deal when it's Microsoft. Games, applications, OS's, PC hardware, etc. all get depreciated when a newer version is released.

It's not some scheme or anything. It's how things work with most products. So, you like the previous model? Cool. But, the market must continue moving.

It's not some scheme or anything. It's how things work with most products. So, you like the previous model? Cool. But, the market must continue moving.

Ms makes really poor choices and screws the customer, if you did that with cars then it would be game over for a lot of them.

Ms makes really poor choices and screws the customer, if you did that with cars then it would be game over for a lot of them.

I think they've done pretty good. They extended the Windows 7 availability, extended support for XP a couple times, Are listening to customers with Windows 9 (should find out next week how much). There are a few things that I don't agree with, but they aren't really screwing the customer. If they had to sell and support older OS's, they'd be out of business with support alone. Even a lot of PC shops refuse to support anything older than XP or P4's, because it's just not worth it.

Don't sweat it. Win7 isn't going anywhere regardless of what MS wants.

OEM's won't be selling it. It's still available for licensing via VL and all that good stuff. Most businesses are fine. The sky isn't falling, unless you want to get a Dell desktop with Windows 7...

Same as they do for cars, though. When they make a new model, they discontinue the older one. Eventually, they aren't supported anymore. Same with any product, really. I don't see why it's a big deal when it's Microsoft. Games, applications, OS's, PC hardware, etc. all get depreciated when a newer version is released.

Its a big deal with Microsoft because the new one didnt improve over the old one in ways that were compelling to consumers or business.

There have been numerous times where a new model car was released and it was a flop or design was fugly and the previous model continued to be sought after .

So, sorry, but Microsoft doesn't get a pass just because they have something new to sell and don't want to support the old thing anymore. What I don't get is that they're not at least waiting until Windows 9 is available before pulling the Win7 rug out like this. But then nothing they've done in the last few years makes much sense except firing Ballmer and everyone responsible for Metro.

Stop being rational! :D Also, compare stuff to shoes or books. Car comparisons are...I dunno, they never make complete sense anyway.

But then nothing they've done in the last few years makes much sense except firing Ballmer and everyone responsible for Metro.

Getting Windows to run better on tablets and touch does make sense. The problem was how those capabilities were added to the desktop. Of course there will be those that complain about Windows 9 and that modern apps and tiles can exist on the desktop. But the way it's done in 9 doesn't functionally change the UI.

From what is has been shown in these leaks, Windows 9 will work with a mouse and keyboard with a Start Menu very much like Windows 7. Don't what modern apps and tiles on the Start Menu, uninstall the modern apps. Run Windows on a tablet and set that device up to use the Start Screen and modern apps. If that tablet is a convertible or is connected to an external mouse, monitor and keyboard, switch back over the Start Menu. Hopefully that process when finalized won't require a log out and back in.

I think they've done pretty good. They extended the Windows 7 availability, extended support for XP a couple times, Are listening to customers with Windows 9 (should find out next week how much). There are a few things that I don't agree with, but they aren't really screwing the customer. If they had to sell and support older OS's, they'd be out of business with support alone. Even a lot of PC shops refuse to support anything older than XP or P4's, because it's just not worth it.
Good God almighty. I just threw up a little in my mouth.

With a 90+% lock on the world's desktops, no other description is possible imo for Microsoft's support policies other than legalized extortion. People have been doing the exact same set of tasks (email, web browsing etc) on nearly every version of Windows ever released, with no proportionate increase (or often even change) in functionality that begins to justify new product introductions. We pay over and over and over and over again FOR THE SAME BASIC FUNCTIONALITY.

Future historians imo will be justifiably brutal.

With a 90+% lock on the world's desktops, no other description is possible imo for Microsoft's support policies other than legalized extortion. People have been doing the exact same set of tasks (email, web browsing etc) on nearly every version of Windows ever released, with no proportionate increase (or often even change) in functionality that begins to justify new product introductions. We pay over and over and over and over again FOR THE SAME BASIC FUNCTIONALITY.

If that's all you do, then you're welcome to stay with Windows 3.11 using Trumpet and Netscape Navigator. Same basic functionality. Not much change... Wait....

Also, for businesses, there are a lot of changes in both the client and server (and many times, the client doesn't support the new server features or vice versa).

Basic web, email, etc... Tablets do that just fine, too. Yet, there are new ones all the time. Same exact functionality. I can open my iPad 3 and it does everything the newest one does. Same with cars (and socks, and whatever else).

Don't like it, don't upgrade. But, you won't get official support from Microsoft. If you want a new PC, it comes with the new OS. I don't know of many electronic devices that allow you to use an older software or firmware from the dealer. Gaming consoles, cell phones, etc., don't allow you to go back on revisions of software (officially).

We pay over and over and over and over again FOR THE SAME BASIC FUNCTIONALITY.

No you don't. You don't have to upgrade. Indeed the majority of PCs continue to use the same OS they came with until they go out of service.

Future historians imo will be justifiably brutal.

Lmao what. MS has to make money you know. Free security updates for home users for the same OS forever isn't going to keep them afloat.

Also the post above pretty much says the rest.

I bought a retail version of Win 7, so I guess I could continue using this copy on my next PC... should the need arise, that is.

Lmao what. MS has to make money you know. Free security updates for home users for the same OS forever isn't going to keep them afloat.
Extortion keeps them afloat, and the era of paid computer software will eventually be considered an historical abomination. But congrats on apparently understanding why Bill Gates is worth $76 billion.

Huh? Please tell us who's selling new PCs with Windows XP.

Yes you do have to upgrade.

Don't buy a new PC. I still have XP media and keys. So, no, I don't have to upgrade. Shit, I could still run Windows 95 if I wanted to (or DOS and 3.1/3.11). If you want to buy it off the shelf, it comes with the newest OS. But, no one is forcing you to upgrade. If I were to go buy a new iPad, it will come with a newer iOS. Damn extortion, I tell ya! Unacceptable, and I won't have it.

I have to say it's a weak argument. Yes, the older OS's aren't on the shelf anymore and if you want a new PC you get the latest (and arguably greatest) OS with it. It's hard to find a product that doesn't use that same model. Why ship a brand new PC with an old, unsupported OS? Not a huge market for it, and even OEM's wouldn't do it even if they could. Just no money, and that's the end game - money.

No edit ...

Also, some newer hardware isn't even supported in XP. SSD TRIM is one example. I am even finding some new stuff that has no XP driver, so you're limited in features of the hardware unless you update to a newer OS (Microsoft included drivers work for basic functions, but nothing spectacular unless you upgrade to the OEM drivers, which aren't XP - only 7 and up).

The world moves fast. Technology moves faster.

This isn't an upgrade of something that was previously owned. You don't have to upgrade an system currently owned.
Average current lifespan of PC systems (including corporate, which are upgraded regularly) is about 2.5 years, and using existing OS's is not an option thanks to MS. So much for "you don't have to upgrade".

Corporate? We can still run XP if we want. Right now, it's Windows 7. We don't HAVE to upgrade, but we choose to. We aren't being forced by Microsoft, but more by compatibility, usability and features. We have a few Windows 8 machines, but not a whole lot. We're skipping it, like a lot of others. People just don't like it.

BTW - Why complain now? Windows 8 sucks, I get it. But, where was the outrage when Vista was taken off the market and you were "forced" to upgrade to Windows 7? It was completely normal to move past that OS.

So, you don't want to upgrade to a new OS. Fine. Buy some Win7 media and licenses now so you'll be ready in the future. It doesn't make financial sense for Microsoft or the OEM's to continue selling and supporting it.

Extortion keeps them afloat, and the era of paid computer software will eventually be considered an historical abomination. But congrats on apparently understanding why Bill Gates is worth $76 billion.

Yeah, I know, shit, why should anyone get paid for creating and selling what they created, damn selfish jerks. :rolleyes:

Average current lifespan of PC systems (including corporate, which are upgraded regularly) is about 2.5 years, and using existing OS's is not an option thanks to MS. So much for "you don't have to upgrade".

2.5 half years seems like a really short timespan for the life of a PC, corporate or consumer. And you're still not making any sense about upgrades. No one using a PC that came with Windows 7 had to upgrade to Windows 8.

No edit ...

Also, some newer hardware isn't even supported in XP. SSD TRIM is one example. I am even finding some new stuff that has no XP driver, so you're limited in features of the hardware unless you update to a newer OS (Microsoft included drivers work for basic functions, but nothing spectacular unless you upgrade to the OEM drivers, which aren't XP - only 7 and up).

The world moves fast. Technology moves faster.
And corporate (read: human) greed is infinite.

Newer hardware isn't supported in XP because and only because MS dropped support for the OS. TRIM is a good example, it works the exact same in legacy IDE/ATA mode as in AHCI, and absolutely nothing other than greed prevents MS from writing support for it (and AHCI if desired) into XP or even Win2k.

And you're still not making any sense about upgrades. No one using a PC that came with Windows 7 had to upgrade to Windows 8.
You're not understanding my point. If your PC with Win7 lasts two years and it's time to buy a new system, the useful lifespan of Win7 is forcibly limited by MS to two years. Is there something difficult to understand about that?

And corporate (read: human) greed is infinite.

Newer hardware isn't supported in XP because and only because MS dropped support for the OS. TRIM is a good example, it works the exact same in legacy IDE/ATA mode as in AHCI, and absolutely nothing other than greed prevents MS from writing support for it (and AHCI if desired) into XP or even Win2k.

Greed and common sense. How many Windows XP systems ever had an SSD drive in them?

You're not understanding my point. If your PC with Win7 lasts two years and it's time to buy a new system, the useful lifespan of Win7 is forcibly limited by MS to two years. Is there something difficult to understand about that?

And you're not getting that this isn't an OS upgrade. This is a new PC purchase. You're not rebuying the same copy of the OS on your old PC.

Back