Rig for video editing and rendering?

Great Tiger

[H]ard|Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Video Editing using Sony Movie Studio 12
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1000-$1200 I can shop at NCIX.com
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Vancouver BC Canada
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Mobo, CPU, RAM, CPU cooler

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I'll be reusing my OCZ 1000W PS, SATA DVD Drive, PowerColor 6990, Creative X-fi pci-e sound card with front bezel) Bitfenix Colossus XL Case, 2 128GB Crucial M4 in raid-0 and two 1TB storage drives.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Nope.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I currently use a 47" LG LW5700 passive 3D TV hooked to the 6990 via HDMI
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within a months time.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Please see below these questions.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Legit windows7 64bit bit license.

Gentleman, how are you? It's been a while and these days I find myself needing a little bit more horsepower. I've been getting into video editing and the rendering times i'm sure can improved.
Besides the above mentioned, I currently have a 965BE cooled with an H50, 16GB 1333, a AMD 6990, and two Crucial M4's in raid-0. This has suited my needs up until now. From what I gather for rendering and encoding Intel is the way to go. Gaming isn't a big priority these days, satisfying clients is.

I have $1000 I can work with but stretch a little if need be. Meaning if we're a little over that it's no big deal. I can purchase everything right from the store at NCIX.
Basically, I only need the Mobo, CPU, and RAM. I can reuse the cooler if need be, I need reliability so overclocking on business oriented equipment is not an option at this time unless of course your are confident in the parts you've chosen.
This is the [H], don't think I don't know how to take [H]ard advice. If you feel a particular combo overclocked will yield me maximum results within my budget but still provide 100% stabability, by all means please do so. I would be happy to report my results based upon your reccomendation.
It seems strange to be the one asking for advice this time. 10% bonus chance in an area of your life for helping me out. Cheers!

I personally would go with an Intel 6 core processor, 16GB ram and an Asus motherboard if it was for me.
some people aren't fond of Asus anymore but I have not had any issues with them in the 19 years I have used Asus boards.

there are 2 six cores I see, 5920k and 4930k.
Both have similar PassMark scores, 13K, the 4930 is $200 more though. not sure what the differences are.
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-5820...8&qid=1411766564&sr=8-2&keywords=intel+6+core

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-5820...8&qid=1411766564&sr=8-2&keywords=intel+6+core

The difference is that the 5820k is the new Haswell-E architecture where the 4930k is the slightly older Ivy Bridge-E arch. The 5820k build which uses the X99 chipset is going to be more expensive as everything is new and the DD4 it requires is still at a high price premium.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In your budget range you could get away with this:

I7-5820K: http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-core-i7-5820k-3-60ghz-six-c4-100097-1342.htm
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 16GB 4X4GB DDR4: http://www.ncix.com/detail/g-skill-ripjaws-4-16gb-4x4gb-a7-101221.htm
ASUS X99 Deluxe http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-x99-deluxe-atx-lga2011-3-x99-e9-101202.htm

Total: 1171.92 CAD

Definitely a solid build of the latest and greatest. If you check out the front page, it is a pretty great overclocker and stable at decent rates which should help for your video editing.

Last edited:
Thanks iLLuSioN that seems like it'll work although i'm not sure a sound card is going to fit that mobo with the 6990 in it. Will the X99-A work just as well? It's got an X1 slot lower then the videocard slot so I can put my sound card in it. lol

Thanks for all that contributed.

is there a reason you need a sound card, most mobo's today have plenty of sound capabilities built in, i personally have an x79 deluxe which is a bit older board but i have no issues with on board sound

I am using onboard sound with my Alesis monitors and it sounds excellent,
editor-2010.jpg

Thanks iLLuSioN that seems like it'll work although i'm not sure a sound card is going to fit that mobo with the 6990 in it. Will the X99-A work just as well? It's got an X1 slot lower then the videocard slot so I can put my sound card in it. lol

Thanks for all that contributed.

Yeah you could save some money by going with the X99-A, if putting your card it in the #1 x16 slot blocks your x1 then you can just simply move it to your #2 x16 without any issues.

Back