Best monitors on a budget?

geoxile

n00b
My 2ndary monitor's backlight is dying in the top left corner. Any suggestions for a 23-24" monitor that's under $200? I'd like to avoid IPS/PLS. All the monitors I've tried had severe IPS glow, or at least I was very susceptible to noticing it.

Does that mean you want a TN display, or a VA display?

16:10 or 16:9?

Primarily used for? Gaming? Officey type stuff?

The type shouldn't matter between TN and VA. The monitor will just be used for viewing media (movies and pictures, no gaming), so good colors would be a plus, but even the monitor that died looked fine after calibration and it was just some cheap Acer.

I'm guessing they don't come in black?

Just curious, what is the absolute best option including IPS/PLS monitors?

Last edited:
Not that I've seen. I was looking for one in not-white, too, but the closest they have is the BL2410PT / BL2411PT, neither of which is available under $200.

If you were including IPS/PLS, and keeping your price limit in mind, I'd look at the Dell P2414H. Reviewed very well:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm

And available on Amazon for $190 with prime shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-WHXV7-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00EMB4KVI/

There may be others worth considering, Viewsonic's VX2370Smh-LED, for instance, $155 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2370SMH-LED-23-Inch-SuperClear-Frameless/dp/B008RM235I/

I don't recall seeing any in-depth reviews on it, but I've been using a VX2770Smh-LED and have been quite pleased with it.

So that's a recommendation based solely on another model in the line (not worth much, I admit), but user reviews have been very positive. The color range is supposedly excellent for all three models in the line and I don't have any reason to not believe that.

Here's a review of the 27":

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...sonic-vx2770smh-led-review-1920x1080-ips.html

Which, incidentally, you can frequently find for $250 ish on sale.

The only downside I've found is that it lacks rotation (not a big loss for some) and adjustable height (bigger deal depending on positioning on your desk).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I decided to try the Dell P2414H. I hope I don't have the same issues, then again it's just going to be the secondary display so it shouldn't be too bad.

The feature set on that thing, the stand in particular, was too much to pass up given that it was only $10 more than the AMVA BenQ. Plus, recalling from the Dell S2440 I tried, even VA monitors seem to get that hazy white cloud after they've been on for a while, so contrast doesn't seem like a big deal.

I just hope my VW246H doesn't crap out too. It's well over 4 years old I think and it's been through several moves in that time.

I think you'll be happy with it - but come back with impressions once you have it in hand!

You know this is kind of late but just in case you're not happy with that, I just realized that there were a decent amount of HP LP2465's on Ebay for like 120 bucks or so. It does use PWM but it uses CCFL which is less harsh. The stand is also excellent and features the full array of turning, up down, tilt, everything. It's a VA panel and looks great. I'm not sure if mine has any backlight bleed but I can tell you that it has some pretty rich blacks. I was happily using mine all throughout college. I got it as a refurb from Newegg for around 200 bucks.

It's also 1920x1200...

I got it today. The IPS glow is just about as bad as I feared, but since it's just a secondary monitor I guess I'll just keep it. Returning monitors over post is just a wretched experienced and Amazon sent the monitor in a box literally the size of a fat child. Not to mention Dell's own crazy boxing scheme that is as intricate as a model kit (and no instructions)

Besides the glow it seems good, but that glow does hurt dark viewing dark colors. But who knows, maybe it will lessen as after I use it for a while. I'm going to try calibrating it and seeing if it improves

Edit: Calibration kinda helped I guess, but only because I lowered the brightness from like 160 to 100 cd/m^2. It's mostly the left side that has a noticeable blue glow

Last edited:
There really is no "perfect" monitor, some people just seem to get lucky. As long as the colors are good then keep it.

Back