A War Photographer Embeds Himself Inside a Video Game

This article was nauseating to read. There's something about the way that "professionals" and "intellectuals" outside of the hobby write about gaming that makes me want to jump off a cliff.

the dudes name is ashley. enough said.

Usually, I'd be all like, "You're judging the worth of an idea based on the name of the person presenting it and that's dumb," but seriously, have you seen his hair? I know I'm getting superficial, but I have friends that can't pull off that hairdo convincingly and they're not men. They'd be so jealous of him. Of course, I don't mean he does it well either. He has way the wrong face for it, though he did nail the outfit to go with it pretty well.

The article bills him as a "conflict photographer". He should go have dinner with Dick Cheney's family.

lol

oh wait... this isn't satire, ala the onion, right?

Shit, does this mean since I have Dxtory and now my Elgato HD60 I've been filming a war documentary this whole time?

Entire article came across as "I'm just to Emo to play violent video games, or be a soldier" will give him credit for being a "conflict photographer" but his entire attitude is that people that play shooters have something wrong with them. or maybe it's just him?

What a turd.

At home, I’d play for 30 minutes before noticing I had knots in my stomach, that my vision blurred, and then eventually, that I had simply crashed out.

It's called a third person shooter. A lot of people that never play this style of game experience similar symptoms, but it has nothing to do with the fact your are shooting people. It's vertigo induced by the over the shoulder FOV. It's made even worse if, as this guy seems to have done, it's played on a massive screen and you are trying to look at everything not center to the field of view. It's also exacerbated by being terrible with dual joysticks, making the motions extremely jerky.

But, you know, that wouldn't make much of an article. You can't say stuff like:
I felt like this could well be my last assignment for TIME.
because you got motion sickness, and still be taken as a credible reporter.

Turd.

But after a short time playing it, I noticed I was having very strong reactions in regards to my role as the protagonist: I hated it. When I covered real war, I did so with a camera, not a gun.

That statement says it all.
So the documentation of despair and destruction of war is my career, but playing a violent video game makes me feel dirty?
Seeing people die in "real war" is fine, but when i play a game shooting virtual people i get sick to my stomach?
:rolleyes:

That statement says it all.
So the documentation of despair and destruction of war is my career, but playing a violent video game makes me feel dirty?
Seeing people die in "real war" is fine, but when i play a game shooting virtual people i get sick to my stomach?
:rolleyes:

It is possible for someone who isn't conditioned by video games and movies to accept being depicted as the person inflicting violence to feel a little bit yucky if they think about what they're pretending to do. It also could be that after seeing a lot of real life fighting that he can't help but be given a different and stronger perspective than the armchair video game murderers that have never been in a scary situation where a bunch of people are killing one another.

It is possible for someone who isn't conditioned by video games and movies to accept being depicted as the person inflicting violence to feel a little bit yucky if they think about what they're pretending to do. It also could be that after seeing a lot of real life fighting that he can't help but be given a different and stronger perspective than the armchair video game murderers that have never been in a scary situation where a bunch of people are killing one another.

I'll continue with your train of thought, that it's one thing to walk around and take photos of soldiers doing "soldier things" on a base behind walls, and then go take pictures of say, some bodies, and actually pull the trigger yourself.

I'll continue with your train of thought, that it's one thing to walk around and take photos of soldiers doing "soldier things" on a base behind walls, and then go take pictures of say, some bodies, and actually pull the trigger yourself.

I'm pretty sure I could never do it. Well, I don't know for sure because I've never been in a me or them situation like that. But anyhow, people who have usually are different than they were before. It's traumatic and totally sucks. I wouldn't wish that kind of experience on anyone.

I'm pretty sure I could never do it. Well, I don't know for sure because I've never been in a me or them situation like that. But anyhow, people who have usually are different than they were before. It's traumatic and totally sucks. I wouldn't wish that kind of experience on anyone.

I'm glad I don't have to live with it, I have enough to remember in quiet hours as it is.

Yes but he remembered every bit of the experience so their was no xp loss :D

Back