Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.. . . Nvidia

the_real_7

[H]ard|Gawd
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Nvidia
Ive been with Nvidia since the beginning when in a series the made two cards a series and maybe a third at maxed speed , Last series we got played hard and there was like 5 jumps , I say teach em hold on to 7 series and make them bring the Big Boy and stop teasing us to spend on them throughout 2 years again.
My opinion 780ti vs 980GTX

The answer is simple really we know a 980GTX is 10 percent faster "FACT" now what the factor is what kind of overclocking each individual card will do " max clocks " if you have a great clocking 780 ti to a mild clocking 980GTX keep what you have .I have a 780 Ti 1315 Mhz unstressed stable "thanks to skynet bios" , so in my shoes I'm pretty even to a even nicely clocked 980GTX . . .
Don't take reviews status to your head if you don't run stock clocks . Now if i was on a 680 I buy one of these 980 GTX Yesterday faster cooler less power. but keep in mind enthusiast the long game nivdia played with us last time . . gpu sequel hell , wait to the BIG BOY this time . . . Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. learned my lesson

Yes, we know this is the small die Maxwell product and there will likely be a "big die" Maxwell at some point. It's still a powerful card. It's much quieter and cooler than the 780 Ti, faster, has more VRAM, and is cheaper. Not sure what there is to complain about really.

Yes, we know this is the small die Maxwell product and there will likely be a "big die" Maxwell at some point. It's still a powerful card. It's much quieter and cooler than the 780 Ti, faster, has more VRAM, and is cheaper. Not sure what there is to complain about really.

This.

You mean nvidia is going to put out a more powerful card eventually? I'm astonished to hear this!

That was painful to read...

The 980 is still a great card. Faster than the 780 TI, more efficient and at a lower price point... So, whats the problem?

Yes, we know this is the small die Maxwell product and there will likely be a "big die" Maxwell at some point
So why buy now at 10 percent performance when eventualy we get 30 to 40 percent with same maxell design . . .
It's much quieter and cooler than the 780 Ti, faster, has more VRAM,
If you dont mind can you elaberate on your definition of much . . 10 percent is not of great extent

As a 780 Ti owner I can't wait to see the 980 Ti, it should be a real monster. Or maybe they will do a 680 to 780, time will tell.

Yea it will be the same like with they did with the 680->titan/780/ti. People who waited got rewarded heavily through used market and price drops. Normally I would wait for the "bigger" maxwell

BUT

This time around nvidia did a great thing with the gtx 970. At that price point it would make no sense for me to not upgrade. The cRds I have now will already cover the cost of 2-3 brand new ones (gtx 780 gtx 690). So it will be wise for me to sell these cards before the used market price keeps going lower and upgrade to 2-3x gtx 970

I'm actually gonna wait for the 8gb gtx 970 since I would absolutely love to upgrade my 1080p surround to 3 of those qnix qx2710

Last edited:
So why buy now at 10 percent performance when eventualy we get 30 to 40 percent with same maxell design . . .

1) A lot of us are not merely upgrading from at 780/780 Ti.
2) You will have to wait a half year (March 2015) and pay $999.

Won't pay a grand for one card again.. too much depreciation when the next gen hits.

i would go 970 since it's so powerful for the 329 and faster than my 780... if i did not have a 780 that is.

I'm gonna sit on this card another year and half I think. Longest I have ever had a gpu since I started building going on 1.5 years !

Dude don't wait 6 months for GM210, wait 12 months for GP104, err no I mean wait 18 months for GP110, err no wait 24 months for G?104, I mean 30 months for G?110....

Dude don't wait 6 months for GM210, wait 12 months for GP104, err no I mean wait 18 months for GP110, err no wait 24 months for G?104, I mean 30 months for G?110....

Pretty much this.

I don't understand what the OP is really even going on about. I don't think the 980 is really marketed towards 780 Ti owners. If you've got one, great. It is performing just as well today as it was a week ago, so keep enjoying it and move on. If you really gotta have the latest and greatest, that's on you, not Nvidia.

For almost everyone else, the 970 and 980 are damn attractive cards. Great performance, cool, quiet, good overclock potential, and priced very reasonably (more so the 970, but both are priced fair IMO)

Whether or not the 980 and 970 are good upgrades depends on what you're upgrading from .I agree that if you have a 780 Ti it's probably not worth the money to upgrade. Otherwise it looks like a good jump in performance from most other cards, if you want or need that extra graphics power. It consumes less energy too.

I just bought two...but I am upgrading from a 590 with 1.5 GB of vram. The 980 makes sense for a lot of people. I don't think it makes sense to upgrade from a 780ti to a 980. That clearly does not make sense. If I knew when the next big card was going to come out I would have perhaps waited for the big boy, but who knows when that will be. The price, performance, power consumption, quiet cooler, all sort of just fit my particular situation right now. Yeah I think the 20nm card is going to be a beast but who knows when that will come out. At a certain point, some people just need to start gaming.

If you CAN resist the 980, you should wait. If you are using a 780ti you probably should wait for 20nm Maxwell. Some of us are really chugging along here though...

Well said! 20nm full Maxwell may be tempting, but for now SLI'ed, waterblocked 780Ti's will hold me from the upgrade itch for at least a good year or two.

I understand what your saying as Nvidia has done this before to customers of there brand ..remember the 8800GTX as it was built for Crysis and right before the game was live they released the 8800GT which was better and cheaper making customers feel robbed by Nvidia paying for big fab and overprice performance ..

It was a bad idea that Nvidia even made the 8800GTX but they had such loyal fans that it was easy to past this bad product off to the customers and move forward based off of the 8800GT.

This came so soon after the release of gtx 780ti . Many have spent 1000$$ on these setup and when they see a upgrade very soon they are f*uped .

8800GTX was was out 6 months before the 8800GT, was faster than it in most things, 9800GTX was questionably faster, it was almost 2 years later when GTX2xx really surpassed it. What a bad product

Voicing immediate needs, or in this case, wants, do no contribute to one's collection of knowledge. As this thread has shown.

The big picture is what we make of it. Not what the manufacturer's have displayed. There are some things which remain unknown to us for good reason. ;)

Wait, am I missing something?

GTX 980 is 50% more efficient than GTX 780 Ti (2000 ALU's vs. 3000 ALU's - same performance).

So, it's like a 22nm version of GTX 780 Ti.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have a low-power, cool and quiet card to sit in my rig for a couple of years. I learned that the hard way..

Besides, OP, you realize you can just sell your GTX 980, right? You're not legally marrying it.

The 970/980 were not targeted towards existing 780/ti owners but to those who may be upgrading from lesser cards. In which case they are a no-brainer.

If you dont mind can you elaberate on your definition of much . . 10 percent is not of great extent

Because reference SLI 970 is $658 right now and a faster Maxwell will be $1000 or more for a single GPU.

Hey, the announcement event made it pretty clear (painfully to some of us) that the 900 series is targeting 680 owners. Not a 780ti replacer. Nobody is fooling the op but the op. ;)

The 680's in SLI I've been running since 2012 have been good to me, but it's still hard to shake the idea that I basically paid a grand for two mid-range cards. Thankfully though a 980 isn't actually faster than 680 SLI, so it makes waiting easy.

I do have to laugh though, when I hear people talking about one of the reasons to upgrade from Kepler to Maxwell being power consumption. Not saying it's not true, but prior to 2012 I was running 2x 4870x2 in Quad Crossfire. The overall power consumption of my computer under load dropped almost 500watts when I switched to 680 SLI. It's hard for me not to think of Kepler as efficient in that context lol

Both reviews I read (Anandtechs for compute and HardOCP for actual gaming) both state this video cards purpose is to entice the 680/770 owners to upgrade.

I believe I also read it on some slide somewhere from NVIDIA.

Knowing this, why are you "shaming". These cards are obviously not meant for any 780/TI users.

If anything, you're the one shaming yourself here over something silly.

I understand what your saying as Nvidia has done this before to customers of there brand ..remember the 8800GTX as it was built for Crysis and right before the game was live they released the 8800GT which was better and cheaper making customers feel robbed by Nvidia paying for big fab and overprice performance ..

It was a bad idea that Nvidia even made the 8800GTX but they had such loyal fans that it was easy to past this bad product off to the customers and move forward based off of the 8800GT.
Uh... what? An 8800 GTX with a small overclock (or an 8800 Ultra out-of-the-box) was a top-performer for multiple generations...

It was the fastest card in the GeForce 8 series, it as-fast as the fastest card in the GeForce 9 series, and it kept up with everything in the GeForce 200 series below the GTX 260.

Nobody who bought an 8800 GTX / Ultra should feel robbed, seriously...

Please 780Ti/Titan/Titan Black owners don't feel butt hurt

I can't say this enough.

These cards are meant to replace in the following way

GTX 770 -----> GTX 970
GTX 780 -----> GTX 980
GTX780Ti ----> ?? (probably GTX 780Ti) <--- and probably $650.00 at least which is right in your guys ballpark.

Hang on to your cards until the 780Ti is out. That will be your first worthy upgrade. Also since AMD is 4 days away from kicking the GTX 980 in the nuts that card may be here sooner rather than later, or the price of 980 may get so much cheaper you can buy 2 or more to replace your single card setups.

Well, as a 780Ti owner, I don't feel butt hurt at all. :)

The 980 is a nice card. But when compared to the 780Ti, the only area that it really shines is its much lower overall TDP. I game at 2560x1600 and if you take a close look at the gaming benchmarks (http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx_980/), in particular focusing on the scores for the higher resolutions, the FPS diff between the 980 and the 780Ti are pretty small - on average well within 5 FPS of each other.

If I were buying/upgrading right now from something less than a 780Ti, then the 980 is the obviously choice, but as the OverClockersClub review summed up in its Cons for the card: "Sideways move if you have a GTX 780 Ti"

Give Nvidia another couple of months to put together a dual GPU Maxwell - the very low TDP on Maxwell will make this easy/no brainer... now that card should truly be impressive.

Well, as a 780Ti owner, I don't feel butt hurt at all. :)

Same here. I bought my 780ti on release day in Nov 2013 and still like it the same way I did before I saw the GTX 980 reviews. I think it all comes down to what AMD will be doing to counter the 980/970 and how it will force Nvidia to release a bigger Maxwell.

For now my plan is to not upgrade anymore and build a whole new PC when Intel Skylake is out some time in 2015, hopefully together with big Maxwell. For the 980 I would also need a new waterblock and sell my 780ti + its block is just not worth the hassle for +10% performance.

I'm sort of with Supercharegd_Z06 on this.

I bought 2x 780Ti cards last December and they've been great. I am a little bummed out that something newer and faster is out now but that was always going to happen, it was just a matter of time.

In fact, for the 780Ti to have been top dog for over 9 months is pretty good going so can't really complain. Definitely paid a hefty price for the privilege though!!!

Other than DX12 related issues, I'm hoping that my 780Ti SLI setup will easily last another year or two before I have to upgrade.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Nvidia
Ive been with Nvidia since the beginning when in a series the made two cards a series and maybe a third at maxed speed , Last series we got played hard and there was like 5 jumps , I say teach em hold on to 7 series and make them bring the Big Boy and stop teasing us to spend on them throughout 2 years again.
My opinion 780ti vs 980GTX

The answer is simple really we know a 980GTX is 10 percent faster "FACT" now what the factor is what kind of overclocking each individual card will do " max clocks " if you have a great clocking 780 ti to a mild clocking 980GTX keep what you have .I have a 780 Ti 1315 Mhz unstressed stable "thanks to skynet bios" , so in my shoes I'm pretty even to a even nicely clocked 980GTX . . .
Don't take reviews status to your head if you don't run stock clocks . Now if i was on a 680 I buy one of these 980 GTX Yesterday faster cooler less power. but keep in mind enthusiast the long game nivdia played with us last time . . gpu sequel hell , wait to the BIG BOY this time . . . Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. learned my lesson

Might I suggest not weeping into a pillow just because new cards come out every 18-24 months. You know it comes with the territory. Be happy with what you have, upgrade the gen after this one. Meantime, consider switching to to decaf.

NKuZeUL.gif

Last edited:
Other than DX12 related issues, I'm hoping that my 780Ti SLI setup will easily last another year or two before I have to upgrade.

I think DX12 will be supported on Kepler cards in one way or another. DX11.3 is going to work for sure and its basically the DX12 feature set minus the CPU overhead reductions.

Back