Crescent Bay: The New Oculus Rift Prototype

Didn't see anything about better resolution, still useless for me until then (playing flight sims)

I hope they sell them without the head set. If not, I'll have to cut them off.

Didn't see anything about better resolution, still useless for me until then (playing flight sims)

Resolution is likely 1440p (Galaxy Note 4 screen), but they didn't give specific numbers.

You'll want 4K if you want to do anything but pretend to fly IFR, though.

Damn, this tech is so cool.

I still think it might be wise to have a 3d positioning only hardware, tracking hands and heads and ears and eventually feet and relaying into the software. Now just for an umbilical cord from the ceiling and maybe a bouncy (sex swing like) harness.

I'm interested to see what they do with the audio... that could be very exciting, and hopefully since that will be primarily a software feature it will not affect ship time on the CV1 much. I'm assuming that you'll be able to bring your own headphones for the actual product.

What really excites me though, is the VR SLI that nVidia was talking about in the Maxwell presentation. The thing that worries me the most when it comes to the Rift/VR is the amount of horsepower needed to give a satisfactory experience. With the consumer version expected to be 2560x1440 with a target frame rate of 90 FPS, that is going to require a massive amount of GPU power. SLI with alternating frames isnt going to be of much help, because it will still take a (relatively) long time to render and display each frame, leading to lag and motion sickness.

Being able to use one GPU to simultaneously render each viewpoint(eye) and stitch them together to make one frame could solve the processing power problem, with each GPU only having to render at 1280x1440, which is 11% fewer pixels than 1080p, even. Assuming there is limited overhead when rendering is that fashion, you could see some monster performance in a VR setting with out having to turn all the options down to low/medium.

Obviously that feature is not limited to nvidia, as I believe AMD has already announced support for multiple gpu teaming in that fashion some time ago.

we have had 3D surround for a while now and sli works fine. I don't see gpu power being a major problem for many of the members here at [H].

we have had 3D surround for a while now and sli works fine. I don't see gpu power being a major problem for many of the members here at [H].

Surround and VR are not the same thing, though... VR is (apparently) very sensitive to input-display latency. Running in the traditional SLI mode where you render alternate frames with each GPU does not produce the frames any faster. It produces more frames per second, but it takes the same amount of time (or more, even given that SLI scaling rarely reaches 100%) to make each frame.

If you can only manage 30 FPS (for example) with one card, and 60 FPS with two cards (imagining perfect scaling), it still takes 34ms to render each frame, that is 34ms from the time you move your head (which I think is the biggest issue for VR) to the time that your display updates, and that's not including all the other sources of latency in the chain. With each GPU handling one viewpoint in the stereoscopic render, frame time is reduced to 17ms - again assuming perfect scaling.

Here is a crummy diagram I made of how it works, or at least I think it works:

VR_SLI.gif

Everyone at Oculus Connect will be able to try Showdown running on Crescent Bay

I hope someone uploads some footage of it, judging by the picture it looks pretty cool.

unreal-engine4.png

Ahh so 4k at 75hz minimum fps? Sounds easy enough. What are you going to do, get a quad-sli or something?

Preferably 90 hz minimum, my friend. :cool: No, but seriously, I'm not talking about what's easy, or what's doable. I'm talking about what's usable. If you want to see the instruments in a flight simulator you're going to need that much resolution at minimum. You could do an HUD thing, but then it's not much of a simulator anymore. That being said the DK2 is already very enjoyable for flying around in DCS Huey not giving a fuck.

am i the only one who looked at it and saw.. black leather with silver studs and thought.. bondage toy?

Guys, maintaining 90 FPS isn't as much of an issue anymore thanks to the new Time Warp feature. As long as you're hovering around 60 FPS, things should look pretty good.

How TimeWarp works:
1. Get position of head-mounted display
2. Render frame + save depth-map
3. Get position of head-mounted display AGAIN.
4. Warp the frame using the depth-map to match the new position.
5. Display the frame.

If your graphics card hasn't had a chance to render a new frame by the next display refresh, it can warp the previous frame AGAIN to keep things up-to-date.

Basically, the camera and positional tracking can run at 90 FPS no matter what, even when getting less than 60 FPS-worth of updates.

am i the only one who looked at it and saw.. black leather with silver studs and thought.. bondage toy?
I could see the elderly using it as such in a sex swing, so they don't have to look at their wrinkled prune partner, and instead can superimpose the bodies of their favorite celebrities on each other. Then grandma can scream "I'm fucking Matt Damon!" just like Kimmel. :D

Back