Google Encrypting Data On Next Version Of Android By Default

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, the next version of Android will encrypt data by default. Doing it by default will be good for people that don't know you can already encrypt your data on Android. ;)

The next version of Android will for the first time encrypt data by default, Google confirmed Thursday, preventing both thieves and law enforcement officials from gaining access to personal information on the devices running the web giant's mobile operating system.

Last edited:
They are playing catch up but in reality all of this is stupid. If the law tries to get my phone ill just pee on it 1st.

this will be nice because alot of us IT folks spend time explaining the step when encrypting the device for mobile management however:
a. users often complain about the usually required complex password (at least 1 number and letter or mix of chars, 6 chars minimum password. no more finger swipe or it wont encrypt like s4-s5)

b. ATT fails horrible with OTA updates if the device is encrypted.

For those of you who ask why pee, it has conductive materials in it. Works better at frying electronics than just water.

I've had my phone encrypted for years now...and quite honestly? I hate it. Just a massive all around pain in my ass.

Not like I'm going to unencrypt it though..so not even really certain why I'm complaining about it.

If a cop asks to see my message history after he/she pulls me over I will unlock my phone and hand it to them. I don't care. They can look around at all my sex pics and whatever the hell gets their rocks off. There's nothing illegal on there and I don't text and drive, I don't care. Keep my shit unencrypted. Unless it is regarding thieves/h4x0rs, then encrypt it to the moon, but I doubt it would matter if they really wanted my shitty account info muahaha.

If a cop asks to see my message history after he/she pulls me over I will unlock my phone and hand it to them. I don't care. They can look around at all my sex pics and whatever the hell gets their rocks off. There's nothing illegal on there and I don't text and drive, I don't care. Keep my shit unencrypted. Unless it is regarding thieves/h4x0rs, then encrypt it to the moon, but I doubt it would matter if they really wanted my shitty account info muahaha.

Or you could ask to see the search warrant ...

And when the government or law enforcement asks Google to hand over the huge amount of data they collected from spying on you, siphoning it off your phone all day, and "backing up your data" they'll say sure here it is. Why would Google encrypt any of this? They wouldn't be able to read all of it and rummage through it if it was encrypted. This will only stop random thieves from look at what is on the phone they stole before selling it.

And then they find a pic that shows that you unknowingly happened to be at a particular place around the same time a crime occurred, and decide to bring you in for further questioning.

And then they find a pic that shows that you unknowingly happened to be at a particular place around the same time a crime occurred, and decide to bring you in for further questioning.

Still not a problem. I would love to assist them in apprehending a criminal.

preventing law enforcement officials from gaining access to personal information on the devices

HaHaHa. That's a good one. Sad part is most people will believe it.

Because ONLY Google should be allowed to read all the stuff stored on your phone and everyone else has to pay them for access. :D

I have never had a cop ask me for my phone, but twice I have been asked to decrypt a portable HDD and display it's contents. Both times I have declined. As far as I am concerned FDE is the only way I can see forward. I don't carry a smart phone anymore. I use a cheap pay as you go burner and if asked for it I would just snap it in half in front of them. No need to get put on a sex offender list for pulling out your dick on the side of the road and pissing on your phone...

I have never had a cop ask me for my phone, but twice I have been asked to decrypt a portable HDD and display it's contents.

I've never been asked for my phone either BUT I haven't been put in a situation like that either. I have however seen the cops take my neighbors phone and throw it because he was recording them arresting another neighbor. They asked him to stop recording, he said no, the cop grabbed it and threw it...lol.

Both times I have declined.

Why were you being asked? Just curious.

As far as I am concerned FDE is the only way I can see forward. I don't carry a smart phone anymore. I use a cheap pay as you go burner and if asked for it I would just snap it in half in front of them.

You could use a burner smartphone. :)

Why were you being asked? Just curious.
Both times I was traveling through airports for my job (in the military at the time.) I had both my issued laptop and my personal as well as some externals. You are only required to prove that the laptops power on, at least back then (about 4 years ago now) but they cannot force you to unlock them.

They were trying like hell to convince me that external hard drives are not covered in such a manner and they are allowed to look at them. They took the drives from me and sat me in a separate room and bombarded me with questions like what I was hiding etc etc. That they had their "security" guys looking at them and would be at the bottom of it in no time. Looking back it's really pretty funny.

You could use a burner smartphone. :)

Ya, but there are several problems with that. You usually end up linking emails and other PI data to the devices and I personally don't believe that should be on anyone's phone.

Not to mention, I wouldn't think twice in breaking a $20 phone in half on just a hunch or inkling there might be a problem. A $200-$300 phone is another matter... haha.

Back