Vizio P series (Sept 24th) + GTX 970/980

Pastuch

Gawd
Anyone else insanely excited for the Vizio P series launch next week?

Now that we can finally get HDMI 2.0 video cards I'll probably buy a couple GTX 970s or 980s to pair with the 50 inch Vizio P. A 50 inch 4k has roughly the same PPI as a 24 inch 1080P so it should work beautifully for windows.

The input lag numbers for the E and M series were around 35ms which is less than perfect but pretty decent. The only problem is that to get the input lag numbers that low you have to disable local-dimming. Hopefully the P series is the same or lower with local dimming.

I know a lot of you guys think that a 50 inch computer monitor is a little silly but I've used a 42 inch for years. I have a 116 inch projector display that I play racing games on and it's an incredible experience. If 4k projectors were more affordable I wouldn't bother with the Vizio P series.

EDIT: Release is September 29th not the 24th.

Last edited:
Wow, only $999 for the 50 inch. I might have to get rid of my Seiki soon.

Edit: but no 3D, oh well can't have everything.

Wow, only $999 for the 50 inch. I might have to get rid of my Seiki soon.

Edit: but no 3D, oh well can't have everything.

I can spend $900 on a 27 inch TN 1440P w/gsync

or

I can spend $1000 on a 50 inch 4k IPS panel with FALD, multiple hdmi 2.0 inputs, Netflix 4k integration, H265 decomp, 802.11AC wireless, qwerty remote...

I recognise it's an apples to oranges comparison but I fail to see the value in the TN based ROG swift. That being said, I haven't tried G-Sync so what do I know!

Email Vizio and ask them if their TV's are LED PWM Dimming/Flicker Free (Side Effects). Most TV's use 120-260hz LED PWM Dimming frequencies=eye watering experience for me as a desktop monitor.

I can spend $900 on a 27 inch TN 1440P w/gsync

or

I can spend $1000 on a 50 inch 4k IPS panel with FALD, multiple hdmi 2.0 inputs, Netflix 4k integration, H265 decomp, 802.11AC wireless, qwerty remote...

I recognise it's an apples to oranges comparison but I fail to see the value in the TN based ROG swift. That being said, I haven't tried G-Sync so what do I know!

I think the P-Series is VA. No big deal for me, I'd rather have a higher-contrast VA panel anyway.

The ROG Swift has a specific combination of features that people want: high-resolution, G-sync, and ULMB. If any two of those features appeals to you, you're going to want it, otherwise it's not really that great.

Having used a high-DPI big screen, however, that's what I'm going to be looking for in the future. Gaming is so much better when you're not looking at a viewing area only the size of a cereal box, IMO.

Yeah Im just about sick of these undersized weak specced overpriced monitors. Come to me precious full arrays.

Email Vizio and ask them if their TV's are LED PWM Dimming/Flicker Free (Side Effects). Most TV's use 120-260hz LED PWM Dimming frequencies=eye watering experience for me as a desktop monitor.

That's a good point, I have a Benq 2750 and the PWM gets to me over time.

NCX doesn't the Q2710 also have a PWM backlight? (I don't notice it at all on that display)

I think the P-Series is VA. No big deal for me, I'd rather have a higher-contrast VA panel anyway.

The ROG Swift has a specific combination of features that people want: high-resolution, G-sync, and ULMB. If any two of those features appeals to you, you're going to want it, otherwise it's not really that great.

Having used a high-DPI big screen, however, that's what I'm going to be looking for in the future. Gaming is so much better when you're not looking at a viewing area only the size of a cereal box, IMO.

The P series will be a mix of VA and IPS depending on what size you buy (Just like pretty much every other TV)

NCX, does the Q2710 also have a PWM backlight? (I don't notice it at all on that display)

No (ToastyX & I have tested the overclock-able Yamakasi), and all of the other reviewed, 27" 1440p Korean IPS are PWM free except for a revised AH-IPS Achieva, but the non-single input Acheiva's suck anyway.

A few thoughts:

P series without local dimming to save on input lag; you're losing out on the best feature. :(

I think for me I've decided that VA > IPS for a TV.

I wish we could get these in Canada, I want a new TV for my living room, and these things sound incredible for the price. Don't think I could this as a monitor, plus after owning the Swift I will NEVER go back to 60Hz for my computer, and I suspect 120Hz+ 4K displays are a long way off.

A few thoughts:

P series without local dimming to save on input lag; you're losing out on the best feature. :(

I think for me I've decided that VA > IPS for a TV.

I wish we could get these in Canada, I want a new TV for my living room, and these things sound incredible for the price. Don't think I could this as a monitor, plus after owning the Swift I will NEVER go back to 60Hz for my computer, and I suspect 120Hz+ 4K displays are a long way off.

You can! Vizio just started selling TVs in Canada again through Future Shop and Best Buy. I'm getting a Vizio E series for my golf simulator. Great prices too! I guess Vizio listened to all of us bitching. The warranty coverage is all through BB/Future Shop so I think they just ship the damaged sets back to the states. I don't believe they will be available at Costco or Walmart in Canada. Your local store has them on shelves already (mine does)

You can! Vizio just started selling TVs in Canada again through Future Shop and Best Buy. I'm getting a Vizio E series for my golf simulator. Great prices too! I guess Vizio listened to all of us bitching. The warranty coverage is all through BB/Future Shop so I think they just ship the damaged sets back to the states. I don't believe they will be available at Costco or Walmart in Canada. Your local store has them on shelves already (mine does)

Wat! OMG I love you

P Series in Canada when?

Wat! OMG I love you

P Series in Canada when?

The M and E series have been in stores for about 2 weeks now. The P series will get here soon if it's anything like the USA. I know the Vizio direct sell store is shipping units so chances are that BB will get theirs soon.

I have both a P series 70 inch + geforce gtx 980 ordered and both are arriving Monday. I regret ordering the P series 70 incher from amazon as I ordered it like almost 2 months ago during the short-time they allowed pre-orders and its in stores (like costco) and I otherwise would have done local pickup.

Anyway I will be testing lots of stuff on them:

Things I will be testing:

The 120Hz mode and what kind of input lag (verify no frame skipping).

Can the set to 240Hz (at lower resolutions) and frame skipping.

Will it do 240Hz @ 1080p (HDMI 2.0 bandwidth).

Will the set do custom resolutions?

Will it do custom timings? Can I get 39Hz @4k via HDMI 1.4 via custom modes?

Using old (pre lower chroma nvidia drivers) can a pixel clock hack work for getting 60Hz with full chroma on maxwell hardware (rumor'd to have 600 Mhz capable TMDS)

General impressions of the panel, clarity, contrast, viewing angles, etc...

Power usage (at various backlight levels)

Geforce gtx 980: HDMI 2.0 working? Bios? Linux? Windows?

Last edited:
I have both a P series 70 inch + geforce gtx 980 ordered and both are arriving Monday. I regret ordering the P series 70 incher from amazon as I ordered it like almost 2 months ago during the short-time they allowed pre-orders and its in stores (like costco) and I otherwise would have done local pickup.

Using old (pre lower chroma nvidia drivers) can a pixel clock hack work for getting 60Hz with full chroma on maxwell hardware (rumor'd to have 600 Mhz capable TMDS)

Sounds great. May I ask why the 70"?

Sounds great. May I ask why the 70"?

It might be a bit annoyingly too big as a computer monitor but it doubles as a TV.

I have excellent vision but at my normal viewing distance of 10 feet I am starting to lose the benefit of 4k (for when 4k video does become main stream). On the 50 inch seiki I need to be within 7 feet to get 95% of the quality. I believe with a 70 inch I should be able to view it from my normal viewing distance with full benefit and also it means a bigger TV display which is also nice.

Gaming on a 70 inch from 3 feet away @ 120Hz will be 'interesting' as well :)

It might be a bit annoyingly too big as a computer monitor but it doubles as a TV.

I have excellent vision but at my normal viewing distance of 10 feet I am starting to lose the benefit of 4k (for when 4k video does become main stream). On the 50 inch seiki I need to be within 7 feet to get 95% of the quality. I believe with a 70 inch I should be able to view it from my normal viewing distance with full benefit and also it means a bigger TV display which is also nice.

Gaming on a 70 inch from 3 feet away @ 120Hz will be 'interesting' as well :)

Dude you're my hero. Can't wait to hear your impressions. I'm so tired of little computer displays.

Wat! OMG I love you

P Series in Canada when?

Went to Futureshop and Bestbuy. None of the employees know when Canada gets the P series but both sales guys said E and M series are selling like hot-cakes. The Best Buy guy said there was information in their sales info about the P series. "We were told that the next model we get would be the R series, no mention whatsoever of the P series". Futureshop didn't have any info. Also for warranty service the TV has to be shipped back to the USA. Vizio says it's going to take them 6 to 12 months to setup a warranty infrastructure.

Dude you're my hero. Can't wait to hear your impressions. I'm so tired of little computer displays.

Ive gotten *a lot* of hours on my seiki. I work from home 80% of the time these days and I use it 12+ hours a day because I work on the computer 8 hours for work and then I also use it for generic computer usage after and for watching TV/movies/video so I would say I put a lot of stress on the seiki and its held up well so far.

That is great! I am eyeballing the 50" when it eventually starts showing up as a monitor so this is extremely relevant to my interests.

Ive gotten *a lot* of hours on my seiki. I work from home 80% of the time these days and I use it 12+ hours a day because I work on the computer 8 hours for work and then I also use it for generic computer usage after and for watching TV/movies/video so I would say I put a lot of stress on the seiki and its held up well so far.

I too have used the crap outta my seiki TVs (50 and 39) and I'm impressed with the reliability so far. My 39 sees 12-16hr days while the 50 now sees 8-10hr days if I play TV on it while I'm using the computer.

They've allowed me to do exactly what I wanted in the first place...Get into higher res early while the industry sorts itself out, standardizes on inputs and options, and starts offering cheap alternatives to those $3500 POS monitors by Asus and Dell. (Which I predicted would happen in the last year)

I'll continue using my Seikis, though, until they crap out. By then, I think the mfgrs will finalize their standards on the specs and ports and options that are being offered in each class

The Visio P series looks to be a fine example (at least on paper) of what's to come this fall from other mfgrs...The future of 4K adoption is looking pretty bright.

Well I got the call and my vizio should be arriving in the next 30 minutes. Not sure when the gtx 980 will make it here though. I think that can be up to another 5 hours with the expedited shipping I did.

That being said I am working from home so I might get a chance to set it up (replacing my seiki) and do a few basic tests I probably won't be able to do any of the serious testing until later tonight.

Well I got the call and my vizio should be arriving in the next 30 minutes. Not sure when the gtx 980 will make it here though. I think that can be up to another 5 hours with the expedited shipping I did.

That being said I am working from home so I might get a chance to set it up (replacing my seiki) and do a few basic tests I probably won't be able to do any of the serious testing until later tonight.

Wasn't even 30 minutes. the vizio arrived :)

The truck also had an 80 inch sharp. In volume that box was like 3x the size, rediculous.

Give us some pics when you can please, im considering this tv as well and i got some 980's ordered. Thanks!

Can you check for PWM using this test? Might as well check your Seiki while you are at it :)

It wont work on linux so I will have to wait until I get my gtx 980 and am doing various testing (including windows) later tonight.

Anyway some initial things:

Colors are a bit 'off' in RGB mode. Some (effect is worse on white than black) seem to be a bit blurry. Switching to YCBCR444 mode seemed to help in this effect but then the blacks aren't as deep. in the end I would say its livable but some things seemed a bit clearer on the seiki but that could also be because the higher DPI.

The thing is definitely huge. I will have to dial in the settings to get it looking good. So far I would say overall my seiki looked a bit better but I think thats mainly due to it not being calibrated yet.

The good:

4k Input lag: Its very good. Way better than the seiki, the 30Hz still hurts (still waiting for the gtx 980).

1080p@120Hz: It does indeed work. Also input lag feels on par if not slightly better than the seiki so this is great as that was really important to me. I think for people who want 60hz 4k and 120hz 1080p this will be a good set. I can't wait to test out 60Hz.

The bad:
Again the slight amount of blurriness that I am still seeing even with ycbcr444 mostly on white backgrounds. The seiki was superior in this and I am hoping with calibrations I can get around this.

It is paticular about what modes it will and won't display.... Doesn't seem to really take any custom modes except what its programmed for. What didn't work (limited by hdmi 1.4 bandwidth:

1280x720@240Hz
1280x720@120 Hz
2560x1440@84 Hz
2560x1440@72 Hz
2560x1440@60 Hz
3840x2160@35 Hz
3840x2160@38 Hz

So far the only non standard (compared to most) which worked was 1080p@120Hz.

The scaling is definitely better (especially playing games) it definitely looks nicer at 1080p than the seiki did @ 1080p

Sounds good. I can't wait until you get it hooked up with HDMI 2.0. Is it matte or glossy?

I'm assuming you won't be using this as an actual TV? More curious as to whether it's a usable TV or not. (Seiki was pretty shitty in that department from what I read, good monitor though)

I'm assuming you won't be using this as an actual TV? More curious as to whether it's a usable TV or not. (Seiki was pretty shitty in that department from what I read, good monitor though)

Strictly PC monitor /gaming.

houkouonchi thanks so much for updates. I"m getting sick of waiting for new Seiki displays and looking to buy a 50" Vizio P series when it shows up locally at BestBuy/Costco/Walmart, anywhere that'll make returning it easy if needed.

houkouonchi thanks so much for updates. I"m getting sick of waiting for new Seiki displays and looking to buy a 50" Vizio P series when it shows up locally at BestBuy/Costco/Walmart, anywhere that'll make returning it easy if needed.

NP. I was in the same boat and 60Hz + 120Hz capable at lower resolutions with low input lag was an absolute must for me so this fit the bill.

Unfortunately my gtx 980 is still not here. Its been out for delivery since 5 AM. UPS listed by 3:00 PM but then I realized it said or until end of the day for residential :( Its 4 PM right now localtime. UPS has been known to deliver as late as 7 PM here.

NP. I was in the same boat and 60Hz + 120Hz capable at lower resolutions with low input lag was an absolute must for me so this fit the bill.

Unfortunately my gtx 980 is still not here. Its been out for delivery since 5 AM. UPS listed by 3:00 PM but then I realized it said or until end of the day for residential :( Its 4 PM right now localtime. UPS has been known to deliver as late as 7 PM here.

UPS delivered my 980gtx from amazon at 4:40pm. But I can't get my 70 Vizio 4k till next month :mad: So I have the GPU....you have the display....LETS DO THIS :cool:

UPS delivered my 980gtx from amazon at 4:40pm. But I can't get my 70 Vizio 4k till next month :mad: So I have the GPU....you have the display....LETS DO THIS :cool:

Some teasers Images with the massive 70 inch display on my desk :)

Can you tell I am looking out for the UPS guy? Sometimes they don't hit my doorbell hard enough and my doorbell doesn't ring and they don't knock. I have missed a few packages that way. Better than USPS... I have caught him on video not even getting out of his car and leaving a 'we missed you' slip in my mailbox (when I was home waiting for the package).

Here's an old one with the 50 inch seiki which it really dwarfs (same desk):

Sounds good. I can't wait until you get it hooked up with HDMI 2.0. Is it matte or glossy?

Coating is almost identical to the seiki (seiki might just be slightly more glossy).

I would say its somewhere in between a glossy and a matte display (semi-glossy?)

Very excited for you, brother. I plan on stalking this thread tonight.

I (probably like you) have been waiting for this setup (P + 2.0 video card) since the January announcement. Pretty stoked to see how this all turns out, as while I ordered a 970 (as an initial card to get everything working), I have had my eye on the 65'' (probably using an AUO panel) and will grab that when it launches (unless initial testing on that model shows problems, then I'll grab a model with sharp panel, ie the 60 or 70).

Have you tested, or could you please test if this tv will take 0-255? It may help your white/black issues. It never hurts to try both and see which looks better (16-235 or 0-255). Damn nvidia and their broken-ass hdmi support. I really wish amd/ati had a hdmi 2.0 card...their htpc use has been much better in my experiences.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83 (tool to switch to full RGB color space, does this help with white/black over hdmi 1.4 or 2.0?)

I am very curious if you can get 4k60 4:4:4 10-bit (preferably with 0-255) to work over hdmi 2.0. That seems to be the big question at the moment, but could potentially be awesome.

Glad to see you tried 1440p. Real shame it doesn't work, as I was *really* hoping 120hz @ 1440p would be possible over 2.0. Perhaps not pixel perfect scaling, but it would've been great considering my vision/distance ratio (and a good use of hdmi 2.0 bandwdith for refresh/rez). It seems Toshiba is making a model that will do it, but it's also not out yet and also quite a bit more dinero. Oh well, I can live with 4k60/1080p120.

I'm also curious if any light boost/impulse mode/CMR/whatever marketing term you like for backlight scanning works while still keeping lag/brightness/flickering in check (I suppose SOE processing may have to be engaged to some extent). It would be nice to know what tricks this thing can pull for quality while still being usable in desktop mode. Obviously we probably lose local dimming, so stuff like backlight scanning is probably all (if that) we can hope for.

Beyond that, curious what has to be disabled, or what effect in quality enabling 'low lag' (which I assume is High Velocity Mode), and is it substantially different with it on vs off and running at 120hz?

I know you're busy, and I'm sure you're probably already checking most of that (and more) without me asking...but it sure will be nice to know what to expect and temper expectations/plan accordingly.

Thanks again for being one, if not the very, first to do what I consider to be the important testing. Sure, I'll be watching video and playing games (and hope when setting up as a monitor can still perform well in that regard vs how many will use it's functions as a TV), but lag and 1080p/120 and 4k60 quality for desktop use is my #1 priority. Glad to see someone that looks at things similarly put this thing through the wringer.

(edit: realized he mentioned 4k only worked at 30hz over hdmi 1.4)

Last edited:
Back