Some Good 290X Deals

Why is it every time I check the user reviews for the 290x they indicate a ton if problems?

Why is it every time I check the user reviews for the 290x they indicate a ton if problems?

Because people are more likely to report bad experiences over good ones?

Edit: Kyle is posting Newegg links himself again? Wow, things change.

Not to thread crap but please tell me you guys are aware the GTX970 with 4GB VRAM is launching with a $329 MSRP and outperforms a 290X with even a modest overclock.

Just saying if I had my heart set on a 290X, I would at least hold off for a bit for prices to stabilize since they're about to SINK.

Last edited:
This thread its worthless with the prices of the GTX 970 in the market.. I have to see the 290X at 300$ to think in buy it.. =D. just want to see how will perform a Factory overclocked 970 with Aftermarket cooler..

Lower the prices, the better! Might upgrade my 2x 280x cards sooner than expected! :)

I had that visiontek card and it was loud and ran hot. The cooler is really suspect. After 10-15 mins of gaming it starts cranking up the fan. I figured since it was dual fan and looked beefy it'd be relatively quiet and keep the card cool. My rv02 isn't exactly silent either, but it was audible over everything else.

I returned it. It might not be a big deal if you have headphones but keep an eye on the temps.

Chiming in to confirm Robstar:

uzCMEeH.png

Personally not worth it unless you are upgrading to crossfire or something similar. Especially with the 970 GTX being about on par with this card for $50-75 less.

Personally not worth it unless you are upgrading to crossfire or something similar. Especially with the 970 GTX being about on par with this card for $50-75 less.

Yep. 290X needs to come down to about $299

I had no issues with it. I put in 980 SLI this week. So far the only difference is that I will be colder in my office this winter. LOL

those prices are way too high...

That's why I haven't replaced my 7970. The GTX-970 is the right price. $300 is the most I'd generally pay for a GPU for gaming. So I skip a generation or two in between upgrades if necessary.

It's definitely been worth waiting out the overpriced AMD 2x0 series, especially seeing what NVidia's just launched. I haven't run NVidia cards in over a decade but the GTX-970 is quite tempting.. The 7970 runs everything I play just fine and the gains simply aren't worth more than $300 for the 290/290X series, so we'll see what AMD counters with in the coming weeks. If they drop something as good or better in gains over the 7970 and in price : performance than the GTX-970 before the holidays, I'll probably upgrade then.

I had that visiontek card and it was loud and ran hot. The cooler is really suspect. After 10-15 mins of gaming it starts cranking up the fan. I figured since it was dual fan and looked beefy it'd be relatively quiet and keep the card cool. My rv02 isn't exactly silent either, but it was audible over everything else.

I returned it. It might not be a big deal if you have headphones but keep an eye on the temps.

Can't speak to VisionTek but Sapphire cards have always had crap fans in my experience, which is probably why Sapphire usually comes up on the bargain end of the price spectrum for most GPUs. Every Sapphire card I've owned (3-4 that I can recall) each had a fan die within 3-12 months of installing the card. Every damn time. Now I pay a little more to get a higher quality brand name and avoid the headache and hassle of a dead fan on a GPU (which usually means popping the older GPU in while you RMA the new GPU just to get another ~6-9 months out of it with a replacement fan that's just as prone to die as the one that came on it... or you go through the hassle of installing an aftermarket cooler on it. I've gone both routes and neither outcome was as desirable as just buying a card with higher quality fans to begin with.

Can't speak to VisionTek but Sapphire cards have always had crap fans in my experience, which is probably why Sapphire usually comes up on the bargain end of the price spectrum for most GPUs. Every Sapphire card I've owned (3-4 that I can recall) each had a fan die within 3-12 months of installing the card. Every damn time. Now I pay a little more to get a higher quality brand name and avoid the headache and hassle of a dead fan on a GPU (which usually means popping the older GPU in while you RMA the new GPU just to get another ~6-9 months out of it with a replacement fan that's just as prone to die as the one that came on it... or you go through the hassle of installing an aftermarket cooler on it. I've gone both routes and neither outcome was as desirable as just buying a card with higher quality fans to begin with.

You do realize that Sapphire is AMD's #1 partner, and makes all the reference PCB designs right? I have never had a problem with any of their cards, but that isn't to say you have not...I certainly would rather have a cheap fan go bad then have a card that has a sub par cooling solution on the VRMs which leads to a much shorter lifespan, lower O/C's, etc..Sleeve bearing fans will fail when they are run in a horizontal position, it is just a matter of when..Paying for a higher tier model that uses bearings instead of the cheap sleeve models is usually worth the slight price premium...The Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC has been a wonderful card that has gotten glowing reviews from every corner of the internet and is usually one of the cheapest options.:confused:

Back