NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets 32GB Storage And 4G LTE

HardOCP News

[H] News
More storage. More connectivity. More fun. The new 32GB SHIELD tablet with 4G LTE gives you even more ways to game. And it can be yours for only $100 more than the basic version of SHIELD tablet, or the equivalent of the same price when you sign up for a qualifying LTE data plan. In July, we introduced the SHIELD tablet, the ultimate tablet for gamers, with 16GB of storage and Wi-Fi. The result was a tremendous response from gamers, consumers and the media alike. Now we’re offering twice the storage, so you’ll be able to enjoy more games, more movies, music and photos, and more of your favorite apps.

My son's first gen Nexus 7 broke a couple months back. If the next Nexus doesn't blow me away, I think I might replace with this one.

Offer a 32 GB model without LTE, and I'll consider it. It might entice me to replace my Gen 4 iPad. I don't feel the need to have one with LTE since it would just jack up my cell phone bill.

Premium prices alright, also anybody know if the cracking plastic issue is resolved?

Offer a 32 GB model without LTE, and I'll consider it. It might entice me to replace my Gen 4 iPad. I don't feel the need to have one with LTE since it would just jack up my cell phone bill.

Is the on-board storage really that big of a deal? You can get a 64GB Class 10/UHS-1 microSD card for under $40.

Is the on-board storage really that big of a deal? You can get a 64GB Class 10/UHS-1 microSD card for under $40.

Most Android applications won't let you install to an SD card, including many of the games that Nvidia has been pimping. On top of that, they have to shoehorn in App2SD to get some things to transfer since google disabled app moving in 4.4 for some stupid reason, and plan on bringing it back in a much more permanent capacity to Android L.

16GB is pretty small considering how large the apps are getting. Hopefully when they update the device to Android L, SD cards like that will be utilized in full.

Most Android applications won't let you install to an SD card, including many of the games that Nvidia has been pimping. On top of that, they have to shoehorn in App2SD to get some things to transfer since google disabled app moving in 4.4 for some stupid reason, and plan on bringing it back in a much more permanent capacity to Android L.

16GB is pretty small considering how large the apps are getting. Hopefully when they update the device to Android L, SD cards like that will be utilized in full.

I'm fairly sure the next Nexus will debut with it. I think...

I'm fairly sure the next Nexus will debut with it. I think...

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Google wants to kill off SD cards permanently, which is why they refuse to put a microSD card slot on their Nexus devices. Their goal is to force everyone to use Google Drive so they can spy on them even more.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Google wants to kill off SD cards permanently, which is why they refuse to put a microSD card slot on their Nexus devices. Their goal is to force everyone to use Google Drive so they can spy on them even more.

Just like Apple and iCloud...

Free 200mb a month TMobile for life, means that you don't have to tether it to use it as a GPS or just check pricing and what not for on the go.

No tablet should come without LTE in 2014, this is a no-brainer.

I know right? Another $40 at least, on top of the phone bill? No way. There is the 200 MB T Mobile thing, but 200 MB ain't much.
I use Waze religiously, which eats up about 90MB a month. If you use Google maps and cache your city, you'll use far less. I set my email to not download attachments, and I have no issues with it staying updated.

The problem would be if you want to stream music/video to your tablet while on the road, and that's a no-no. I keep a season of my favorite current show on my tablet along with some of my favorite music, which plays via Bluetooth to my car's headunit (interrupting with Waze alerts/directions and the like), and I'm very happy with the setup as a car-puter. And when I jump out of the car I often grab it if I'm waiting on a pizza order or just want to double-check reviews and what not when shopping at costco or whatever (granted you can use a phone, but can be tedious on a small screen).

Why can't phones and tablets just start coming with 64gb or 128gb by default?
Flash memory is getting cheap enough where an extra 16gb shouldn't be costing us an extra $100.

Sort of, but Apple products have never supported microSD cards. They've been screwing users from the very beginning. ;)

...and this is why these devices and their companies can go fuck themselves.
We easily have the technology to implement all of this, yet this is why they won't allow it?

Only tools and people who don't care would purchase and use such garbage tech.

Sort of, but Apple products have never supported microSD cards. They've been screwing users from the very beginning. ;)

And Google is actively depreciating use of SD cards. KitKat flat out doesn't support it and the Nexus devices haven't had SD slots for a while. Even with SD cards supported by OEMs you can't install applications to them.

SD cards are slower than embedded flash, less reliable, are a security risk, and are feature limited. Don't look to Google for help either if you're stuck on that as a feature.

And Google is actively depreciating use of SD cards. KitKat flat out doesn't support it and the Nexus devices haven't had SD slots for a while.
Wait what... KitKat supports micro-SD slots just fine. I have 4.4.4 on my Galaxy and have all my music/movies on a 32Gb micro-SD. Personally, I'm fine w/ the OS/apps not using the SD card slot, as long as I can use its as the default for snapped photos, videos, and my own local media.

I like to think of it the same as keeping your computer's SSD for the OS/apps, and just using your hard platters for large data storage.

And Google is actively depreciating use of SD cards. KitKat flat out doesn't support it and the Nexus devices haven't had SD slots for a while. Even with SD cards supported by OEMs you can't install applications to them.

SD cards are slower than embedded flash, less reliable, are a security risk, and are feature limited. Don't look to Google for help either if you're stuck on that as a feature.

Google did not deprecate SD cards and KitKat does support them. Google changed the way Anrdoid uses them without telling anyone beforehand and inturn screwed a bunch of developers and wrecked a ton of apps.

It seems Google wanted to surprise developers with this change to purposely break their apps. Why else would you not warn them well in advance?

Bleh, that sucks.

Back