China Has ‘No Cell Phone’ Pedestrian Lanes

HardOCP News

[H] News
We could definitely use some no cell phone pedestrian lanes here in the U.S., and I'm not just talking about sidewalks either. We should put them in stores, malls, and schools, just to name a few.

Chongqing, a vast municipality of 28 million in southwest China, has come up with a lighthearted strategy to remind pedestrians of the dangers of looking down at a smartphone while walking — separate lanes for people using or not using their devices.

Last edited:
Chinese metropolis easily reach several million people in size, and there's budget and the will to experiment with things in these megacities. Best to sit and wait on this one for everyone else.

Awesome! Driving lanes for this would be a good idea. Let the texters play bumper cars amongst themselves on a larger scale.

Sure, this is coming from someone who doesn't own a 'smart' phone. Yeah, I have wireless internet and get pissed off when there is an outage. However, in my daily life I don't have any feeling of internet deprivation. I still don't understand WTF everyone is doing with their phones when they are walking/shopping/driving/eating and so on.

-When I drive, I'm already on my way to get shit done (shopping), or meet someone predetermined.
-When I shop, I have a list.
-When I walk/drive, I have somewhere to be.
-When I am eating, I'm hungry and want to be left alone so I can eat with my family.
-When I'm at home, I use my PC...
-Last, I'm not a yuppie that feels the need to play Ingress. It's just a one up over Geo-caching. AHH!!!!

What the hell? Am I a barbarian or just organized without any pretend friends to impress/hashtag with (or whatever the hell everyone is doing!)

Bring on the comments of doing business, but we all know the VAST majority of people doing this nonsense are not discussing anything of the sort.

And you're going to enforce the "no cellphone lane" ? HA! They hardly enforce no cell phones while driving!

First thing that happens, is no cell phone lane, guy with cell phone doesn't care because he's paying attention to the cell phone not any signs or street graffiti that say don't walk here if you're using a cell phone.

Awesome! Driving lanes for this would be a good idea. Let the texters play bumper cars amongst themselves on a larger scale.

Sure, this is coming from someone who doesn't own a 'smart' phone. Yeah, I have wireless internet and get pissed off when there is an outage. However, in my daily life I don't have any feeling of internet deprivation. I still don't understand WTF everyone is doing with their phones when they are walking/shopping/driving/eating and so on.

-When I drive, I'm already on my way to get shit done (shopping), or meet someone predetermined.
-When I am eating, I'm hungry and want to be left alone so I can eat with my family.
-Last, I'm not a yuppie that feels the need to play Ingress. It's just a one up over Geo-caching. AHH!!!!

What the hell? Am I a barbarian or just organized without any pretend friends to impress/hashtag with (or whatever the hell everyone is doing!)

Bring on the comments of doing business, but we all know the VAST majority of people doing this nonsense are not discussing anything of the sort.

You forgot the part about "GET OFF MY LAWN!" :)

I use mine frequently in the stead of multiple language dictionaries. Looking up Kanji by writing it can be faster than looking up by radicals for instance. It's nice listening to music to and from class, work, whatever as well without having to carry something in addition to my phone. Being able to keep up with current events, check the weather / radar / storm warnings while out and about is incredibly useful. I also receive emergency alerts for crimes on and around campus. Finding things around me is also easy. I make lists, take pictures of items that I want to consider later, and can scan bar codes to compare prices. Having email on the go can also be incredibly useful, as is having a unified calendar that is always up to date. I also keep up with my finances, checking my accounts. Could I do all of this by other means? Sure, I could carry a note pad, GPS, music player, laptop, bag of dictionaries, weather-band / short wave radio, and store ads and be able to do most of it, but then I'd be carrying around 30 pounds of stuff on my back instead of a few ounces in my pocket that does it faster. While I do have some games, I rarely use them instead opting to read news, look up things online, check email, look up items in my dictionaries, and listen to music as my most common activities. And, soon enough I'll be able to pay for things with a wave of the phone (Android already has it, don't know anything about Windows Phones).

There are plenty of people who insist on doing said things while driving and walking, which they do at their own peril. Rarely am I so pressed for time that I can't take two minutes to do these things while not endangering myself and others. In fact, I flat out refuse to text while driving. If I receive them I wait for when I'm in a parking lot and parked before replying.

I only text at stop lights. Or when traffic is moving REALLY slow. Like eine a school zone.

I only text at stop lights. Or when traffic is moving REALLY slow. Like eine a school zone.
The really sad thing is, not knowing you personally, I can't tell if you're joking. There seriously are people that do that, and currently in Texas for some reason its illegal to pull them out of their cars and beat them with bar soap filled tube socks.

Back