Comcast: Rumor That It Disconnects Tor Users “Wildly Inaccurate”

HardOCP News

[H] News
Comcast says that they do not monitor users’ browser software or web surfing and has no policy against Tor.

But the latest accusation leveled against Comcast—that it is threatening to disconnect customers who use the anonymity-providing Tor browser—hasn't been backed by convincing evidence that it's happening. And Comcast dismisses the rumor as “wildly inaccurate.”

I believe them, they have nothing to gain/lose by caring about TOR usage.

If I had to hazard a guess, my money would be on a Comcast rep calling a Tor user up because they were running as a node and not just a user. As a node, other peoples traffic would be routed through the Tor user's connection, possibly appearing very similar to P2P traffic.

Comcast rep makes disconnection threat to the user who replies with "but I'm not serving up torrents, I'm just running a Tor node". Rep retorts with "That's a violation of our TOS and if you don't stop you will be disconnected"

Tor user doesn't understand what they're doing wrong and starts spouting off about Comcast threatening tor users.

Just like Comcast is, was, and never has throttled BitTorrent traffic, right? We believe you, Comcast. We know you only have our best interests in mind.

This is what happens when ISPs try to control your connection. At some point it's easier to blame them instead of other issues. Though it doesn't mean it can't be their fault. You made your bed now you sleep in it.

Sandvine? Anyone? They've been trying to shape encrypted traffic for awhile. It doesn't surprise me one bit. Comcast is perfectly ok with lying which is why that company is just terrible. If they lie to their customers, who else are they lying to?

I would advise anyone calling Comcast (and a lot of other companies) to immediately inform them that you are recording the conversation (and do so) for training and legal purposes. You'd be amazed how much smoother things go.

In usual Comcast tradition, "wildly inaccurate" may or may not mean the same thing as incorrect.

Its not that Comcast is singling out Tor users... they disconnect pretty much everyone on a daily basis.

I thought Tor was unsecure now anyway.....people still use it?

Its not that Comcast is singling out Tor users... they disconnect pretty much everyone on a daily basis.

Funny how it works....
You don't want disconnected isps drop you like a bad habit.
You try to disconnect and have to move heaven and earth to get rid of the bastards.

Back