MPAA Swears It’s Not Pushing For More Anti-Piracy Legislation

HardOCP News

[H] News
While it would be nice if we could believe anything this guy says, I seriously don't think we've seen the last of the lawsuits from the MPAA.

But when MPAA CEO Chris Dodd — a former Senator who is no stranger to controversy — spoke to The Wrap at the event, he said his organization is giving up legislative efforts to penalize pirates. “The world is changing at warp speed. We are not going to legislate or litigate our way out of it,” said Dodd. “We are going to innovate our way out by educating people about the hard work of people.”

Wow. Way late to the party on that. The world is changing at warp speed, that's for sure. If they would have started with the education rather than litigation, things might be different for them. Now, people and artists are wanting to distance themselves from the MPAA.

"We're giving up legislation... mostly because the laws already exist that make for lawsuits that are so absurdly high that we can live off that money as it is no problem with the next decade or so"

Wow. Way late to the party on that. The world is changing at warp speed, that's for sure. If they would have started with the education rather than litigation, things might be different for them. Now, people and artists are wanting to distance themselves from the MPAA.

The truth has been spoken.

No amount of propaganda can do any good, the entertainment industry needs to get on with times and look at ways to use the internet to their advantage instead of fearing it.

Services like Spotify they get it, they know what the people want and they make music easily accessible.

The really ridiculous thing is how easy it is to exploit recurring payments. Look at how often communication and entertainment carriers get away with this. Get someone on a payment plan and half of them will forget they are paying for something, and the other half will just be too lazy to bother managing it. Hell every month I get my Google Play music payment and I kinda shrug my shoulders saying "well I dont really use this very much.... but then again it was nice on that road trip I had.... maybe I'll keep it". It blows my mind that the music industry cant figure out subscriptions are the way to go and insist on trying to sell cd's and placing value on individual song downloads.

LOL this guy is going to educate people about hard work. I have a bridge to sell them people on as well.

C'mon, even with education, you've honestly got to admit people will pirate because its free and has a virtually trouble-free getaway. It's not the same as walking into a store and shoplifting because you know there are cameras and you know there is someone there you would have to confront in-person face-to-face if caught. Being on the computer not facing anyone or in any proximity, stealing and getting away with it has never been easier.

But when MPAA CEO Chris Dodd — a former Senator who is no stranger to controversy — spoke to The Wrap at the event, he said his organization is giving up legislative efforts to penalize pirates. “The world is changing at warp speed. We are not going to legislate or litigate our way out of it,” said Dodd. “We are going to innovate our way out by educating people about the hard work of people.”

This sounds like when people like Feinstein and Bloomberg say things like "we aren't trying to take anyone's guns away". In the words of my second favorite The Wire character Clay Davis, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

This is very true. Since many legislative tactics have lost due to people making their voices heard. They now resort to these secret trade agreements such as the TPP to bypass congress to get their way.

Oh yeah? Then what's this thing about more SOPA-like stuff behind the scenes?

That's 2013. I mean starting with education back in the Napster days. Instead of litigation against grandmas and getting that asshole reputation they could have gone with the whole "we're the good guys, here's what we need to do".

Because people had common sense back then and knew the difference, unlike today.

Translation we're going to get a different organization to push throught more copyright law below radar while we flop around publicly as a distraction since our name has become toxic.

Back