Say Hello To The FBI's National Facial Recognition System

HardOCP News

[H] News
The FBI proudly announced that its new national facial recognition system is fully operational.

If you've ever been arrested in the United States, chances are strong that your fingerprints and criminal history are floating around in the FBI's Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System. It's apparently pretty good at what it does - it can sift through some 70 million subjects in search of a particular fingerprint in as little as half an hour - but it's just not enough for the boys in blue. Thankfully for them (and maybe unfortunately for us), the FBI just announced that its sequel, the unimaginatively named Next Generation Identification system, is now "fully operational" some three years after the rollout began.

Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL facial recognition system!

From the article;
"What happens if that list doesn't actually contain the right person? No one's entirely sure, and that's a little worrisome".

I know what happens... first off, it's not just photo recognition, like that say here, photo-recognition isn't all that accurate, but it does bring up a quick list of possibles. At that point they also are comparing prints and if they have them, Iris scans. Each one is performed in an order to narrow things down and get to a confirmed identity match.

You start with the photo, take the possibles and run the print scans if prints are available, followed by Iris scans which are the most accurate of all. When I worked with this stuff the photo recognition was terrible but that was mostly because the the data was poorly captured, finger prints were better but sometimes I would get a print match but when I looked at the photo I was like, no way, this isn't correct. But Iris scans, that shit never failed for me, I never had that one come back with a false positive.

Reading comprehension fail.

IAFIS replacement since IAFIS doesn't do facial recognition (FBI link)

Also, now the database will contain non-criminally related info - i.e. even if you're never arrested, that security pic you took for your last job may be in there.

engagdet said:
There's a big question about accuracy, too: the NGI will return a ranked list of candidates for a facial search, but the Bureau says "the candidate will be returned in the top 50 candidates" 85 percent of the time if the perp is actually in the list at all. What happens if that list doesn't actually contain the right person? No one's entirely sure,

And... oh, you look like that fuzzy pic of the guy robbing the bank last week. No criminal record, but let's haul you in, just to be sure!

BB

And... oh, you look like that fuzzy pic of the guy robbing the bank last week. No criminal record, but let's haul you in, just to be sure!

They already do that. "Your car matches the description of one wanted at a robbery, we're doing a felony stop and cuffing you. Let's take a look at what you have here...." .

I'm cool with it if they are. If they are professional about it and aren't dicks and apologize - I'm good. Just be cool about it. Go catch the bad guy. It's when they are dicks that I have a problem with it. I just don't like that type of person...

By BB Gun;
Also, now the database will contain non-criminally related info - i.e. even if you're never arrested, that security pic you took for your last job

You are correct. We captured biometrics on everyone we could in Iraq and Afghanistan, being in the database didn't mean you were a criminal, only that we had identification data on you. We did it for foreign employees working on the bases, family visiting people in jail, they ran sweeps of entire neighborhoods rounding them up and putting them into the databases.

The database isn't used to track criminals so much as it is simply a repository of collected identities and the circumstances of that collection encounter. But if you are in that database with well collected data and your print turns up on a murder weapon then they will not have a problem figuring out who you are for very long.

Reading comprehension fail.

IAFIS replacement since IAFIS doesn't do facial recognition (FBI link)

B

No it doesn't, IAFIS is the Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System. Where is it that I said IAFIS does photo recognition?

I bet this one doesn't just use the criminal/mugshot database, it probably also uses Facebook.

They already do that. "Your car matches the description of one wanted at a robbery, we're doing a felony stop and cuffing you. Let's take a look at what you have here...." .

I'm cool with it if they are. If they are professional about it and aren't dicks and apologize - I'm good. Just be cool about it. Go catch the bad guy. It's when they are dicks that I have a problem with it. I just don't like that type of person...

I get you. Same here.

Now powered by Facebook!!!!!!

As long as they are Public and not Private - go for it. If a Google search can come up with the same results, why not? I'm sure that detectives would use them in a non-automated way in a case if they needed to.

Except they are not responsible for any damage they cause. So they face no repercussions for being shitty at their job.

Except they are not responsible for any damage they cause. So they face no repercussions for being shitty at their job.

That's why I like the good ones. It's always the bad ones that ruin it for everyone else.

Yes please! We need to hurry up and use face recognition to ensure we catch criminals quickly. I'd rather we get to the point where we can remotely see like biometric information from a distance and then criminals can be stopped either in the act or before they do something by automated crime fighting systems though.

Fuck, why did I just imagine that in Hayden Christenson voice as he becomes DV. ARGH!!!

I was trying to think of a suitable punishment for that, but then I realized that your own imagination is punishment enough. :p

http://cvdazzle.com/

look4-md.jpg

look3-md.jpg

Bivvy bag, an internal frame pack, some supplies and .22LR rifle living in the woods you say... don't mind if I do.

This is why I change my face every few years.
Thanks for the laugh. I'll give $5 to the first 12 year-old who can hack their system and turn everyone into Richard Nixon. lol

FBI DISCLAIMER: JOKE GUYS IT'S A JOKE. REALLY IT IS. ENJOY YOUR POWERS UNTIL THE BANKRUPTCY ARRIVES.

Stupid, where do these ideas come from? They get fired quite frequently, maybe it's just because they don't use deodorant :rolleyes:

Back