UFC Pirate Apologizes And Settles Following $32M Lawsuit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Something tells me that a lot more lawsuits are about to be filed now that the UFC has all this guy's equipment.

A man hit with a $32 million lawsuit after releasing an estimated 200 hours of UFC PPV events on torrent sites has settled his case with UFC owner, Zuffa. On top of a permanent injunction Steven Messina, known online as Secludedly, publicly apologized to the UFC and will hand over all of this equipment and website data.

If they hung some Coca Cola, Pepsi, etc signs around the ring and charged the advertisers for every torrent downloaded, they wouldn't need to sue some guy in NY.

I honestly don't not understand how anyone could think that was a good idea in the first place.

By "200 hours" they mean 2 hours of the actual event and 198 hours of commercials, ads, more commercials and ads, and tons of useless commentary and hype.

The UFC has the worst broadcasts I've ever seen. They're so filled with crap they are almost unwatchable.

How can you say....
“I’ll be honest, I don’t understand the laws and all that around this type of thing, so I’m a little lost here and overwhelmed,” Messina told TorrentFreak at the time. “I don’t even know what is going on. I think people on the Internet know more than me.”

..when you obviously either rented the event live, or hacked into a live stream to so you could stream to others... then there is this....

From a related article.
Secludedly allowed people to donate via a PayPal in order to help with the financing of future ripping and uploading activities.

.... sorry but this guy new what he was doing.

By "200 hours" they mean 2 hours of the actual event and 198 hours of commercials, ads, more commercials and ads, and tons of useless commentary and hype.

The UFC has the worst broadcasts I've ever seen. They're so filled with crap they are almost unwatchable.

Have you even watched a UFC PPV event? 6 fights at 15 min each, plus 1 to 2 headliners at 25 minutes each. So at least 2hours of fights, no commercials except mentioning of the event sponsors and some video of the fighters and upcoming events.
The only MMA/UFC fights with commercials are the prelims, or fight nights on fox, NOT the PPV events.
Now if you want useless commercials and BS commentary with barely any action try an NFL game.
Approximately 3.5 hours of air time, 60min game time, with 11-12 minutes of actual play.
Thats over 300 minutes of useless crap, except when the commercials are funny.

oops... i mean 200 minutes of BS.. not 300... need an edit button

Have you even watched a UFC PPV event? 6 fights at 15 min each, plus 1 to 2 headliners at 25 minutes each. So at least 2hours of fights, no commercials except mentioning of the event sponsors and some video of the fighters and upcoming events.
The only MMA/UFC fights with commercials are the prelims, or fight nights on fox, NOT the PPV events.
Now if you want useless commercials and BS commentary with barely any action try an NFL game.
Approximately 3.5 hours of air time, 60min game time, with 11-12 minutes of actual play.
Thats over 300 minutes of useless crap, except when the commercials are funny.

Yes I have, have you ever watched an event? Every one of them is filled with pop-up ads and audible commercials for Corn Nuts and Dodge Ram trucks that interrupt the actual brodacast itself. Every single little thing on on screen has an advertisement on it and each fight is not 15 minutes or 25 minutes. 15 minutes and 25 is the maximum lenght of time, not the average or the standard. You are clearly making numbers up to justify the UFC's awful tactics and practices.

The following can also be added to the endless list of time wasting things, commericals, advertisements, and obnoxious practices of the UFC:

Anything Bruce Buffer does on-screen can be immediately discounted and ignored since he is a ridiculous cartoon character and adds nothing of value.

The fighter intros and weigh-ins are a huge waste of time and only aired to take up as much time as possible and display more advertisements.

After the fight they do interviews where the fighters waste even more time standing there and rambling about an endless list of sponsors and putting on hats and t-shirts. This can be skipped, it's just more advertisements/commercials.

The fighter then gives "shoutouts" to god (who was apparently on their side not their opponents) and lists trainers/camps/gyms, which is really just more advertisements/commercials and can also be skipped.

You're a baller until they catch you and then you get on your back with your legs up in the air to show them your balls in supplication.

The following can also be added to the endless list of time wasting things, commericals, advertisements, and obnoxious practices of the UFC:

Anything Bruce Buffer does on-screen can be immediately discounted and ignored since he is a ridiculous cartoon character and adds nothing of value.

The fighter intros and weigh-ins are a huge waste of time and only aired to take up as much time as possible and display more advertisements.

After the fight they do interviews where the fighters waste even more time standing there and rambling about an endless list of sponsors and putting on hats and t-shirts. This can be skipped, it's just more advertisements/commercials.

The fighter then gives "shoutouts" to god (who was apparently on their side not their opponents) and lists trainers/camps/gyms, which is really just more advertisements/commercials and can also be skipped.

LOL that pretty much sums it up. I know it's free on tv every so often but Its ridiculous how many commercials that are on, especially if one fight ends early...you can look forward to 10+ minutes of commercials straight and they don't even show the entrance music or the fighters walking down to the octagon....they can at least do that to cut out some of the commercials.

Yeah what he did is wrong in the eyes of the law, but I find the penalties are just completely ridiculous. He should be charged for how much it would have cost to pay for it, and that's it. You can shop lift and get a lesser penalty than piracy, which is victimless, and shoplifting is not as somebody has to pay to fix the damage and replace the physical items.

32 MILLION AND getting all his equipment legally stolen, that's completely ridiculous. No average person is going to even make close to that in their life time. So what exactly happens, do they garnish all his family's wages too?

If they hung some Coca Cola, Pepsi, etc signs around the ring and charged the advertisers for every torrent downloaded, they wouldn't need to sue some guy in NY.

ummm....

ufc-13.jpg

Not to mention I recall hearing some time back that they want a piece of advertising revenue for every sponsor the fighters show off (on shorts, or banners and what not). I haven't watch UFC in ages since their Ultimate Fighting show went to a premium cable channel that's not in the basic package, but to be honest that was a reality bitch fest with a few minutes of "fighting" at the end of each episode.

By that logic there is only 40 seconds of actual fighting in each UFC event since the times they aren't punching or doing damage isn't part of the fight.

Yeah what he did is wrong in the eyes of the law, but I find the penalties are just completely ridiculous. He should be charged for how much it would have cost to pay for it, and that's it. You can shop lift and get a lesser penalty than piracy, which is victimless, and shoplifting is not as somebody has to pay to fix the damage and replace the physical items.

32 MILLION AND getting all his equipment legally stolen, that's completely ridiculous. No average person is going to even make close to that in their life time. So what exactly happens, do they garnish all his family's wages too?

Well he wouldn't be in this position if he'd just done it the American way and set up a corporation (used to have to get a person to play the patsy, now you can just incorporate a person, yay!) to purchase his cable/internet/hosting services.

Then he could pay himself (as a liability-free employee) a nice bonus of whatever happened to be left in the paypal account and let his corporation declare bankruptcy.

ummm....

ufc-13.jpg

Not to mention I recall hearing some time back that they want a piece of advertising revenue for every sponsor the fighters show off (on shorts, or banners and what not). I haven't watch UFC in ages since their Ultimate Fighting show went to a premium cable channel that's not in the basic package, but to be honest that was a reality bitch fest with a few minutes of "fighting" at the end of each episode.

Just to let you know, as of a couple days ago Xyience is no longer a sponsor of the ufc anymore....apparently they were sold to big red.

Yes I have, have you ever watched an event? Every one of them is filled with pop-up ads and audible commercials for Corn Nuts and Dodge Ram trucks that interrupt the actual brodacast itself. Every single little thing on on screen has an advertisement on it and each fight is not 15 minutes or 25 minutes. 15 minutes and 25 is the maximum lenght of time, not the average or the standard. You are clearly making numbers up to justify the UFC's awful tactics and practices.

Seriously? making things up? non title and non headliner fights are 3 - 5 min rounds. With an average of 6 fights thats an hour and a half. So unless there is a TKO,KO, Sub or Disq, the fight goes to a decision, and in the event of a quick fight, they replay earlier fights. "Awful tactics?" yes, Zuffa Entertainment plans the fights to end by KO/TKO or submission so then can have more advertising time to cheat out the customer :rolleyes:, You clearly do not follow MMA or the UFC.

By that logic there is only 40 seconds of actual fighting in each UFC event since the times they aren't punching or doing damage isn't part of the fight.

Not imo, until the ref stops the fight or the end the round ends, the fight is on. In football unless the ball is in play there is really nothing going on until the snap. While i love football, its a huge waste of time to watch in real time so i tivo every game so i can skip the BS. The UFC is pretty boring until the fights start, but your looking at 3, 5 min rounds, while not action every second, the fight is on and anything can happen. Football on the other hand, if the ball is not in play, then nothing is really happening, especially the challenges, they just add more air time.

Just to let you know, as of a couple days ago Xyience is no longer a sponsor of the ufc anymore....apparently they were sold to big red.

Oh no, no more Xyience? What ever am I going to do with my mystery beverage that rhymes with Science so it must work!

Yeah I know it'll still be made, but it'll be just like Twinkies they were never the same after Hostess folded!

LOL that pretty much sums it up. I know it's free on tv every so often but Its ridiculous how many commercials that are on, especially if one fight ends early...you can look forward to 10+ minutes of commercials straight and they don't even show the entrance music or the fighters walking down to the octagon....they can at least do that to cut out some of the commercials.
The PPV fights (the ones with UFC and a 3 digit #) have no commercials.

Yes, the ones on FOX and FS1 do, pretty much in between most rounds and in between fights.

I love how they raise $32million lawsuits against people with $13K net worth, and then try to garnish wages and have that debt follow them after declaring bankruptcy.

Back