AVG Claims Zero Day Protection

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We’ve all heard it before from other antivirus companies claiming that they have the solution to zero-day type malware, but they never seem to live up to expectations. AVG is the latest to introduce detection of Zero-Day malware before it does harm to your computer without knowing what it is looking for. I’ve always loved the occult side of computer technology. :D

AVG has not made any claims of protection from zero day threats in its previous software so it must be fairly confident that this version of screening must do something a little different.

From the article: "which it claims can help to block zero-day malware exploits".

That sounds like a very carefully worded statement from their legal department, which translates to: "this product does nothing different and you are reading marketing bullshit; we are lieing but won't tell you that".

How much you bet it just installs EMET for the user :D

Just what came to mind as I read it.

I'd love MS to just switch all that stuff in EMET on by default. Sure it would be world wide carnage as shitty old and shitty coded software the world over stopped working and then MS would be chastised for being too 'over cautious. But it would move things forward.

If this actually works well, they'll be getting calls from the NSA to get them to leave open certain exploits they told Microsoft to leave open.

Which is pretty much pointless since Defcon/Black Hat conventions demonstrated that EMET is easy enough to circumvent.

Which version? The older versions or the new version with Deep Hooks enabled?

The EMET enabled Windows machine was the only one left standing at PWN2OWN even with its $100000+ prize tag.

You couldn't pay me to use AVG. In my experiences with it, it simply doesn't work as well as other solutions.

Can it detect and remove the "AVG browser toolbar" malware that they also distribute? lol

Back