Earth Bombarded by Twin Solar Flares

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Even though we are going through a huge geomagnetic storm, there is no danger at all that the sky is falling and only minimal interruptions will be noticed in some low-orbiting satellites. However, if you live in the far north and far south of the globe, the auroras will be particularly beautiful during this time.

The Sun has had bigger flares this year as it approaches the maximum point of activity on its 11-year cycle, but AR2158 was pointing pretty much straight at Earth, so will have greater effect.

The Sun has had bigger flares this year as it approaches the maximum point of activity on its 11-year cycle
Wonder how much global warming that accounts for.

Well, if the "big one" hits we won't be able to reply to these threads anymore for a while I'd guess.

Wished I was somewhere in the northern area, like Canada or Alaska, to witness an aurora

Every time a coronal mass ejection is headed our way, the media touts issues with the power grid. And every time they're unfounded. Sure, we get some ground induced current spikes as you get closer to the poles, but for a majority of America, it's not an issue.

Well, if the "big one" hits we won't be able to reply to these threads anymore for a while I'd guess.

No internet would be really bad!
I guess power would be a bad second. :)

My crystal of pyramidal alien autopsy false flag anti-vax nuttery free energy conspiracy power kept me safe. And now it can be yours for only 6 payments of $19.99.

Even though we are going through a huge geomagnetic storm, there is no danger at all that the sky is falling and only minimal interruptions will be noticed in some low-orbiting satellites. However, if you live in the far north and far south of the globe, the auroras will be particularly beautiful during this time.

Yeah, would be bad if I could see them here in AZ. :)

My greatest fear is the anarchy that might occur if people can't access their FB account.

Every time a coronal mass ejection is headed our way, the media touts issues with the power grid. And every time they're unfounded. Sure, we get some ground induced current spikes as you get closer to the poles, but for a majority of America, it's not an issue.

My country has one of the best EMP protections built in the powergrid... but 4G connections have been flaky today. I wonder if the flare had something to do with it.

Wished I was somewhere in the northern area, like Canada or Alaska, to witness an aurora

Big enough flare and the whole US will see the Aurora. Or so I have read about a really big one a hundred years ago.

The article was worded kind of weird. So, does "11 year cycle" mean 11 year geomagnetic storm?

The article was worded kind of weird. So, does "11 year cycle" mean 11 year geomagnetic storm?

No it means the sun goes through a 11 year cycle where its activity rises and falls. On high activity there are more sunspots and flares and on low activity the opposite. In addition to the 11 year cycle the sun also has a longer cycle of activity which is suspected to be the cause of global warming and also the ice ages. What alarmists fail to remind people always is that even before technology was invented, the earth had multiple global warmings and ice ages and will have. Nothing we can do about it.

I wish it would not be cloudy all the time here. I bet this created pretty awesome northern lights.

I did manage to capture minor northern lights earlier during the summer though. Clear skies, especially at night, are extremely rare here. I don't think there was any significant activity going on this day though.

our local news explained that it was "bad weather" on the sun in the form of a "hurricane".

Wonder how much global warming that accounts for.

depends on what you consider global warming to be. probably 99% of all warming of the atmosphere recently comes from the sun. (except from volcanoes, nuclear geothermal, nuclear and fossil)

but the solar maximum and minimum radiance still change on an 11 year cycle. any global temperature changes that dont seem to occur on an eleven year cycle are probably not the cause of the 11 year solar cycle.

a bunch of graphs about the solar radiation outputs

Yeah, would be bad if I could see them here in AZ. :)

AZ on the 34th parallel. Arrid and temperate, not very conducive to the kinds of atmospheric electrical conductivity that seems to make the aurora visible. However, the aurora does sometimes come very far South. One infamous occurrence was the night of the US Civil War Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia, which is on the 38th parallel, not a great deal farther North than Tempe (1degree of latitude is roughly 70miles). Robert E. Lee and a great many others took it as a sign of divine intervention, as almost no one present had ever heard of or seen the phenomenon before, certainly not that far out of the Arctic Circle.

It is said that when the Confederates moved towards the offensive following their victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, that God turned his back on their cause. Gettysburg and a steady weakening of the Rebel line came after.

AZ on the 34th parallel. Arrid and temperate, not very conducive to the kinds of atmospheric electrical conductivity that seems to make the aurora visible. However, the aurora does sometimes come very far South. One infamous occurrence was the night of the US Civil War Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia, which is on the 38th parallel, not a great deal farther North than Tempe (1degree of latitude is roughly 70miles). Robert E. Lee and a great many others took it as a sign of divine intervention, as almost no one present had ever heard of or seen the phenomenon before, certainly not that far out of the Arctic Circle.

It is said that when the Confederates moved towards the offensive following their victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, that God turned his back on their cause. Gettysburg and a steady weakening of the Rebel line came after.

Is that the 1859 carringnton(sp) event one?

I love CNN telling people to grab a flashlight and brace themselves for possible power outages. Even though every credible Astronomy site has said that it isn't strong enough to fear such a possible recourse.

I managed to get a small peak at the Aurora and it was beautiful.

Except if we get hit by a Carrington size CME modern society is basically fucked. It's not a a matter of if, but a matter of when.

About the Carrington Event.:
Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases giving telegraph operators electric shocks.Telegraph pylons threw sparks.Some telegraph systems continued to send and receive messages despite having been disconnected from their power supplies.

Other than the telegraph, humanity had very little dependence on electronic technology at the time. Unfortunately, scientists insist that it is going to happen at some point. According to there is an estimated 12% chance of a similar event hitting Earth between 2012 and 2022

Think it's all bullshit? A small one did hit us in 1989:
The March 1989 geomagnetic storm was a severe geomagnetic storm that caused the collapse of Hydro-Québec's electricity transmission system.

So what is going to happen when one of these big ones finally hits us?

Well, basically it will be a technological Armageddon. The cost of an extreme space weather event, if it hits Earth, could reach trillions of dollars with a potential recovery time of 4-10 years. Depending on how powerful it is we could be facing a situation where our electrical grids have been fried, there is no heat for our homes, our computers don’t work, the Internet does not work, our cell phones do not work, there are no more banking records, nobody can use credit cards anymore, hospitals are unable to function, nobody can pump gas, and supermarkets cannot operate because there is no power and no refrigeration. There would also be no running water as it requires power for filtration and pumping as well.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has begun a phased rule-making, published in the Federal Register, to examine the sufficiency of cooling systems of stored spent fuel rods of nuclear power plants now considered vulnerable to long term power outages from events such as space weather.

The sun could literally “bomb us back to the stone age”.

Except if we get hit by a Carrington size CME modern society is basically fucked. It's not a a matter of if, but a matter of when.

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases giving telegraph operators electric shocks.Telegraph pylons threw sparks.Some telegraph systems continued to send and receive messages despite having been disconnected from their power supplies.

Other than the telegraph, humanity had very little dependence on electronic technology at the time. Unfortunately, scientists insist that it is going to happen at some point. According to there is an estimated 12% chance of a similar event hitting Earth between 2012 and 2022

The March 1989 geomagnetic storm was a severe geomagnetic storm that caused the collapse of Hydro-Québec's electricity transmission system.

Well, basically it will be a technological Armageddon. The cost of an extreme space weather event, if it hits Earth, could reach trillions of dollars with a potential recovery time of 4-10 years. Depending on how powerful it is we could be facing a situation where our electrical grids have been fried, there is no heat for our homes, our computers don’t work, the Internet does not work, our cell phones do not work, there are no more banking records, nobody can use credit cards anymore, hospitals are unable to function, nobody can pump gas, and supermarkets cannot operate because there is no power and no refrigeration. There would also be no running water as it requires power for filtration and pumping as well.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has begun a phased rule-making, published in the Federal Register, to examine the sufficiency of cooling systems of stored spent fuel rods of nuclear power plants now considered vulnerable to long term power outages from events such as space weather.

Quotes without citations...

Has that anxiety/hysterical ring to it.

They monitor the sun pretty well, so there should be sufficient time to prepare if a big one like that did happen.

While the Earth has gone through cycles of warming and cooling (ice ages) there is a record of the events via core samples which shows the RATE at which the natural events happened. With the current warming, the RATE at which it is happening has no prior record as it is happening much faster than ever before. That data along with other important facts show that this time around it's us causing it (accelerating the process greatly). By the way, we have records of the sun's output too and have been able to rule that out as the cause. Actually the last Cosmos TV episode (maybe next to last) covered this ground explaining it in simplified terms so streaming that would help many understand where we are at with the science of it all.

Between some early warming zealots shooting themselves in the foot with questionable science and the large companies and governmnets that have a vested financial interest in confusing the public with their own propaganda war, we are lucky we CAN find out the real science and multiple paths of data. It's real, we are causing it, and if we don't change we likely we will be in major trouble.

While the Earth has gone through cycles of warming and cooling (ice ages) there is a record of the events via core samples which shows the RATE at which the natural events happened. With the current warming, the RATE at which it is happening has no prior record as it is happening much faster than ever before. That data along with other important facts show that this time around it's us causing it (accelerating the process greatly). By the way, we have records of the sun's output too and have been able to rule that out as the cause. Actually the last Cosmos TV episode (maybe next to last) covered this ground explaining it in simplified terms so streaming that would help many understand where we are at with the science of it all.

Between some early warming zealots shooting themselves in the foot with questionable science and the large companies and governmnets that have a vested financial interest in confusing the public with their own propaganda war, we are lucky we CAN find out the real science and multiple paths of data. It's real, we are causing it, and if we don't change we likely we will be in major trouble.

So we're in major trouble. No point even saying things "if we don't change". Even if you got the US/Europe to change good luck with huge factors like China, India and Brazil. The majority of energy is used for heating/cooling. We, the entire planet including the poorest countries, would need to get hard core on fission/fusion/"green" energy 20 years ago. So... this mixed with the exponential growth rate of the human race... hang on and enjoy the ride!!!

This is a good opportunity to sell my insurance to protect all nude photographs and sex tapes in the cloud. Of course I would haft to deny coverage to all ugly people. All info would be kept off grid in my own personal facility.

Back