5960X $888

Combine this with the new gtx 980/970 and youll still be under 400w. Would it be possible to run a 500w psu?

oh man. i was trying to talk myself out of buying one of these, but i can't do it at this price. thanks! :p

Combine this with the new gtx 980/970 and youll still be under 400w. Would it be possible to run a 500w psu?

You would be begging for trouble even if you were using a top of the line Platinum rated PSU IMO..If you plan to OC the CPU from it's insanely slow 3Ghz base clock (it appears even the worst samples are hitting 4Ghz) then the CPU will easily pull 220W+, not including the MB, drives, fans, and the GPU..

I wouldn't go with anything less then an 850W myself, since the prices are not insane, and it leaves you plenty of headroom if you have a good OC'ing chip (note @ 4.5Ghz the CPU pulls over 330W of power) and your GPU has the same OC headroom the 750TI offered.

I've got a Silverstone 1.5kw psu so I should be good. But thats just too much cpu for.my needs right now. Great price though.

would anyone that lives near a frys be interested in picking up another one of these for me? will tip well :D

i'm near the one in wilsonville OR, if you send me the money to buy it, and ship it to you, i will

heat under dualboot_2xcpu

I really, really hate when stores change their sales without updating the emailed advertisements. I had been waiting for the Rampage V to come back into pretty much anywhere, but went to frys.com to buy the chip today and it is now "In Store Pickup Only."

Say "The sale has ended early due to demand" or "We are sold out" but not changing the sale while still running an advertisement that you do not intend to honor upsets me.

This is would have been my first purchase from Frys, but instead I get the sort of crap that caused me to stop buying from Newegg.

I really, really hate when stores change their sales without updating the emailed advertisements. I had been waiting for the Rampage V to come back into pretty much anywhere, but went to frys.com to buy the chip today and it is now "In Store Pickup Only."

Say "The sale has ended early due to demand" or "We are sold out" but not changing the sale while still running an advertisement that you do not intend to honor upsets me.

This is would have been my first purchase from Frys, but instead I get the sort of crap that caused me to stop buying from Newegg.

yep. bad practice, kinda pissed me off too. i figured they'd sell out, so i called to ask them this past weekend if they'd take backorders at that price, and they told me they would. of course they're not. :rolleyes:

microcenter has them for $900 in store fyi, if you/someone you know live near one.

yep. bad practice, kinda pissed me off too. i figured they'd sell out, so i called to ask them this past weekend if they'd take backorders at that price, and they told me they would. of course they're not. :rolleyes:

microcenter has them for $900 in store fyi, if you/someone you know live near one.

Well that's only a ~1,200 mile round trip Frys store would have only been about ~1,150 miles away. Think of what I'd save on gas! Also think about what I'll save on impulse tech buys by deciding to never bother shopping from Frys's website either.

I am going to MicroCenter in Towson, MD on Friday to pick up my Haswell-E combo..I am taking my father along since he has an appointment at the VA hospital in Baltimore, so I could get him to pick up a CPU for someone..Keep in mind MD has 6% sales tax..

I can check at a local frys for anyone who is interested. I know some people there so I am pretty sure I will be able to get an accurate inventory as well as not having to deal with any crap. PM me if interested. I am almost certain sale ends Thursday (last day).

Why would you risk $2000+ worth of electronics on a $50 power supply? Where's the logic in that?

Why would you risk $2000+ worth of electronics on a $50 power supply? Where's the logic in that?

He was just asking if it would be possible to run on 500w.

Also, just because the PSU is cheap doesn't mean it's crap. There are plenty of PSU in the $50 range that do very well. First thing that comes to mind is the Corsair CX500 that got very favorable reviews and comes to ~$29.99 after rebate.

But to answer the original question, I would run approx 600w. Depending on the PSU and where it is most efficient, this will allow room for expansion later and keep the load between closer to 50% than 80%.

Back