What If Hackers Controlled Our Cities?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I was honestly taking this BBC article seriously until they used a picture of Aiden Pearce from Watch Dogs with this caption: "If hackers can control the traffic lights, chaos could follow."

In the first of an eight week series of articles about how technology is changing our cities, Jane Wakefield asks whether a city that is plugged into the network is vulnerable to hackers. The nightmare scenario that has had government leaders and city bosses biting their fingernails for decades has come true. Chicago has been hacked.

If hackers could control traffic lights.... then hopefully the city disables them, and puts up stop signs!

It would probably be better for most cities, especially DC, than having the current government "leaders" control it.

What makes you think they aren't already?

Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

I for one would welcome hackers controlling traffic lights. Then the pattern might actually make sense.

Every "story" about hackers =

The-net-scene.jpg

Hackers can already do this, they just dont because of the publicity, risk of getting caught and most hackers aren't assholes.

Chicago has been hacked...

Well yeah. Chicago has a nice, bright, active hacking culture with roots going back to the 60's. Unfortunately, not all of them wear white hats. Or even grey hats.

Finding their way into municipal systems was pretty much inevitable. Made all the easier by corruption in city officials to hire whoever pays the biggest kickbacks, rather than who has the best systems.

Many of the municipal systems effectively scream "bugger me!", then themselves and wait.

As Tak Ne said. The reason most people don't fuck these systems up is simple. They don't want that sort of publicity. And there's an understanding that you could hurt REAL PEOPLE doing stuff like this. And while some of the people in the hacking culture can be assholes, they're not that sort of asshole.

In fact, the last person who I knew of who WAS that sort of irresponsible asshole is currently serving 10 years in Club Fed over the Lulz Sec debacle.

Why any city/state/fed would have SCADA or Traffic Control connected to the Internet is beyond me. Firewall that shit off or build separate networks.

I was honestly taking this BBC article seriously until they used a picture of Aiden Pearce from Watch Dogs with this caption: "If hackers can control the traffic lights, chaos could follow."

Hackers eh?
People highly experienced with computer operations, coding, pattern recognition, and mathematics...Controlling our traffic lights?

Sound like a major improvement!

Can they also be put in charge of construction zoning and schedules? Please!

Why any city/state/fed would have SCADA or Traffic Control connected to the Internet is beyond me. Firewall that shit off or build separate networks.

You'd be surprised at just how many large critical SCADA systems are connected to the internet. Our country is one small software bug from being taken offline.

We need more hacker type movies coming out. Maybe some based on hackers infiltrating the NSA. :cool: That's all I'm saying.

Back