Can my GPU run a 1440p 27" monitor?

Mr Happy

Weaksauce
Hello, I'm thinking of getting a 1440p monitor but I only have Nvidia Geforce GT 620.

I want a 27" 1440p monitor because of the screen space to allow me to view 2 windows at once.

If my card would support it, which monitor would be good?

Do the Dell u2713hm still have terrible backlight bleed/ips glow?

Thanks

It will most likely pull it off, as pretty much any thing from the past decade has dual-link DVI, and not single link.

However I wouldn't buy an U2713HM as it's not known to be a good panel. I've had an U2713H, which has been a solid panel but I wouldn't suggest it either, as there are better choices available such as the Qnix.

It will most likely pull it off, as pretty much any thing from the past decade has dual-link DVI, and not single link.

However I wouldn't buy an U2713HM as it's not known to be a good panel. I've had an U2713H, which has been a solid panel but I wouldn't suggest it either, as there are better choices available such as the Qnix.

Ive been browsing all night and almost have my heart set on this...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-a...dvi-2560x1440-300cd-m-80m1-5ms-speakers-black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsTZbfPCuTs

any thoughts/recommendations?

I had no problem driving 1440p @60Hz with HDMI on Fermi, the HDMI pixel clock is twice as high as DVI (330MHz vs 165MHz). Not sure about the 620 in particular, but I can say 450/460 and then 660/670/750 have had no issues with it.

could you explain your reasoning to the bit in bold please?

Read the thread I linked you to. The U2713H sucks, and if you do not know what a wide gamut monitor is, then there are zero reasons to consider the Asus PA279Q and Dell U2713H.

Read the thread I linked you to. The U2713H sucks, and if you do not know what a wide gamut monitor is, then there are zero reasons to consider the Asus PA279Q and Dell U2713H.

U2713H doesn't exactly "suck". I've had it (and still do) and it had great color reproduction. Sure, it doesn't do too well in shifts, but I wouldn't call it sucky at all.

Can anyone tell me what wide gamut is and if I would need it? (I wouldnt want to miss out on something)

I cant seem to find an answer to this.

wide g monitors are ultra expensive

There was a thread linked, in your other thread, which explains all about wide gamut.

Really, though, you don't need it if you don't know what it is. Photography professionals who do high quality prints might need it, but that's about it.

U2713H doesn't exactly "suck". I've had it (and still do) and it had great color reproduction. Sure, it doesn't do too well in shifts, but I wouldn't call it sucky at all.

I tested one last year. It suffers from excessive overshoot ghosting, has high input lag (30ms!) unless using the Game mode, but the game mode has awful colors, uses the wrong color gamut for consumer media=over-saturated and inaccurate, art direction-disrespecting colors and locked color controls. They can suffer from very strong green tints which renders the sRGB mode useless and forces users to use the Custom color mode which uses the monitors native, wide gamut and rely on color management to make it display colors properly. The color compensation and hardware calibration features do not work properly either.

It straight up sucks compared to the significantly cheaper, standard gamut 1440p monitors which also glow less. The Viewsonic VP2772 is the first, non-failure, 27" wide gamut monitor available for under 1000$.

Can anyone tell me what wide gamut is?

There's this new search engine device people use to find answers called Google.

You don't need a wide gamut monitor and are missing out on 5 things:

1.) Wasting money
2.) More pronounced IPS glow & worse contrast/black levels (high end Eizo CG & CX monitors are glow free)
3.) Art direction disrespecting, over-saturated and inaccurate colors when not color managed or when using the sRGB mode
4.) sRGB modes with locked color controls and worse performance compared to non-wide gamut panels. NEC's PA series and high end Eizo's are ok.
5.) Excessive overshoot ghosting which shows up during desktop use, ruins games and movies: Asus PA279Q, Dell U2413H-U2713H-3014, Lenovo LT3053P

Last edited:
Back