FCC Chief: I Work For The American Public

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let's hope this guy is sincere and not just paying lip service to gain the trust of the general public.

FCC chairman Tom Wheeler tells industry not to expect a free ride on any of the major issues his agency is now considering, including megamergers, Net neutrality, and the upcoming incentive wireless auction.

I am actually willing to give Wheeler some benefit of the doubt. He's not been making the providers all that happy as of late.

I am skeptical given his history...BUT..it is entirely possible he is just one of those "To the highest bidder goes the loyalty" types. In which case now that he works for the FCC, his loyalty is with us..but again I am skeptical.

15784367.jpg

Read the quote more carefully guys "not to expect a FREE ride". Its just going to cost them a LOT of money.

Translation ... I plan to run for elected public office and I need to at least appear like I care and am in touch with the serfs that need to elect me into office :D

The guy always says one thing and does something else, a snake through and through.

Read the quote more carefully guys "not to expect a FREE ride". Its just going to cost them a LOT of money.

Exactly. It's as if the wool is being pulled over the public's eyes or something :rolleyes:

Bah

I am actually willing to give Wheeler some benefit of the doubt. He's not been making the providers all that happy as of late.

Yeah, but the current executive branch has been possessed of the notion that a good compromise leaves both sides miserable while failing to grasp that is SUPPOSED to mean everyone gets something, but less than they want. More often they view everyone being miserable because all sides got a non functional deal and stuff is essentially broken as some kind of huge victory.

And gods are really.

I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture, a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well. :cool:

Yeah, but the current executive branch has been possessed of the notion that a good compromise leaves both sides miserable while failing to grasp that is SUPPOSED to mean everyone gets something, but less than they want. More often they view everyone being miserable because all sides got a non functional deal and stuff is essentially broken as some kind of huge victory.

Ha, that's actually a great summary I haven't heard of before, and agree with.

Seriously. Once I see hard proof, not just a bunch of words falling out an unspecified side of his mouth, I'll be more inclined to believe him.

Until then, I have exactly ZERO faith in my fellow man. And even LESS in him!

This is CODE to the industry that they are not paying him enough money under the table.

IMO the good news is that protection of internet traffic as a communications utility instead of an "information service" (per the current SCOTUS, example #93 of them not doing their jobs) is the only viable eventuality. Other countries are doing so and it's inevitable here as well. The opposing force will be Comcast and Hollywood (now the same companies, essentially -- Comcast owns NBC etc), our greatest fear imo should be the fact that Orrin Hatch is widely known as "the senator from Sony" in the U.S. Senate.

I want to see him take action based on the positive parts of his speeches. I'll believe him when he takes action, but I have faith/hope that he is going to do what is right. Not sure that he actually will, but I don't like being pessimistic/realistic on this topic. I hope for the best.

IMO the good news is that protection of internet traffic as a communications utility instead of an "information service" (per the current SCOTUS, example #93 of them not doing their jobs) is the only viable eventuality. Other countries are doing so and it's inevitable here as well. The opposing force will be Comcast and Hollywood (now the same companies, essentially -- Comcast owns NBC etc), our greatest fear imo should be the fact that Orrin Hatch is widely known as "the senator from Sony" in the U.S. Senate.

Indeed. It will happen here eventually... I just hope it is sooner rather than later. We need it to be a basic service, like water & electricity.

I hope you're right. There is the possibility that he's a decent human being, who made plenty of money at his previous position to be comfortable, and now would like to do some genuine Good.

Back