Facebook Announces Enhanced Video Features

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's the one thing that sucks the most about Facebook video? Everything. So today, the company has announced changes that will make its videos more like YouTube.

Another feature that’s currently testing on mobile aims to help people discover new videos: now, when someone finishes watching a video, we may show additional related videos that they might find interesting.

I love how on Facebook, now every time you scroll past a video it starts playing immediately, yet we still can't post animated .gifs that display properly. :rolleyes:

Oh boy,

I can hardly wait. I hope they don't remove that option that lets you turn off the auto start feature for the videos.

If you don't what them to auto start, pick the drop down option on the video and select autostart off.

"more like YouTube"

IMO it's pathetic when Youtube is held up as some kind of gold standard for video. They don't even allow raw uploads, i.e. everything is produced from their own codecs. And we can't get watchable HD video to save our lives, even with a 30mbit internet connection. They've disabled buffering for all content, and "product development" consists almost entirely of finding ways to defeat and circumvent browser plug-ins which download video. Hey Google, the reason people are trying to download videos is because THEY'RE UNWATCHABLE ON YOUTUBE.

"more like YouTube"

IMO it's pathetic when Youtube is held up as some kind of gold standard for video. They don't even allow raw uploads, i.e. everything is produced from their own codecs. And we can't get watchable HD video to save our lives, even with a 30mbit internet connection. They've disabled buffering for all content, and "product development" consists almost entirely of finding ways to defeat and circumvent browser plug-ins which download video. Hey Google, the reason people are trying to download videos is because THEY'RE UNWATCHABLE ON YOUTUBE.

And yet it is about the 3rd most visited website. Have you considered that these problems might just be on your end?

Even more videos that autoplay when you don't want them to! FEATURES!

And yet it is about the 3rd most visited website. Have you considered that these problems might just be on your end?

It's not. There have been quite a few complaints about it. People have made add ons to deal with the buffering as well.

It's 3rd because of the fact that it was REALLY good back then, and a lot of people created content for it. Now it's still high because lots of people have content on it and it isn't completely undo-able since add ons are made to buffer it for you. No other services can say they have as much content, and for free with or without ads.

It's 3rd because of the fact that it was REALLY good back then, and a lot of people created content for it. Now it's still high because lots of people have content on it and it isn't completely undo-able since add ons are made to buffer it for you. No other services can say they have as much content, and for free with or without ads.
Right, so they have lots of content, and it is quite watchable, and therefore it is popular.

Your issues with being able to buffer (the whole video; youtube still buffers), download videos, and choose your own codec, while I'm sure annoying to you don't impact most people.

Pretty sure anyone who knows what they're doing downloads videos from youtube to get decent playback and immediately deletes them because there's nothing worth keeping.

Pretty sure anyone who knows what they're doing downloads videos from youtube to get decent playback and immediately deletes them because there's nothing worth keeping.

If youtube is slow for you, you might want to check if your isp is throttling them.

It's a standard 30mbit Comcast Blast account, Flash and everything else up to date, and HD videos from Vimeo and all other sites play just fine. The problem is Google's lack of buffering.

I have no issues with youtube, but on facebook, videos play like crap on my laptop, if I download them they play fine.
also on the facebook site, when I scroll the page in facebook, it's not smooth, sometimes pausing, then jumping to where I scrolled to.
Kind of annoying considering the laptop can play games like Diablo 3, has a 2.8Ghz triple core AMD processor, 8GB ram, and a AMD 5650 GPU.

Did they announce a separate apps for videos? Would be neat no?

Facebook has the potential to take down Youtube. They could make a separate tab at the top and start making a top videos and then channels for users like Youtube. It could become a hit over night. All they need is a search feature and a way to browse the videos. Might be an option they could be considering in the future. ;)

Back