Gaming Kickstarter By Pledging To Each Other?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I like how Kickstarter totally avoided the question on this one. It sure seems like there should be rules against this kind of thing.

Hi there Here is an idea for cross promotion You donate some money to my campaign and I donate to your campaign and I will post your campaign to my social media (FB and YouTube). Examples: If you donate $50 I donate $70, if you donate $20 I donate $30 if you donate $10 I donate $15. If you donate less than $10 I donate same amount.

Eh, it's advertising. I don't think they haves rules against paid advertising for their campaigns, do they?

Now it seems dirty, but a lot of advertising stuff works like that.

For small amounts of money, it doesn't matter. For large amounts of money, that means they potentially didn't meet their fundraising goal which is an issue.

There is nothing wrong with cross promotion ... some of the RPG games have recommended other RPG kickstarters in their updates to their donators ... I agree with the comment on where money is changing hands for the cross promotion then one party might be on the hook while the other is left scot free ... I think it should be left up to the individual programs on how and when they decide to cross promote

I dont have a problem with it as long as its people funding Kickstarter campaigns themselves. I would have a problem with it if they were using money they received in their own KS campaign.

I didn't see any of this when I had a KS campaign running. I got quite a few people asking me to promote theirs and offers of help like free 3d rendering for the video but nothing bad.

I don't see why KS would have an issue with it, just a higher chance of them getting their cut. More successful campaigns, more money for KS. Now who this affects are the random supporters in that products may get their funding that otherwise would not of. As to if this is good or bad? Well tough to say really. It feels a little underhanded and slimy, but I can't really put my finger on why.

Government does it with spending all the time right?
Previous year, $XXX in debt
Next year $XXX - $YYY in debt where XXX > YYY
Announces budget surplus of $YYY
Spends $YYY money because it's "available"

Government does it with spending all the time right?
Previous year, $XXX in debt
Next year $XXX - $YYY in debt where XXX > YYY
Announces budget surplus of $YYY
Spends $YYY money because it's "available"

I know it's in your name, but you've just proven you live in California. ;) Jerry's doing a great job, but already the pigs are lining up at the trough for this "surplus".

Why would Kickstarter care about this? Don't they get a % of every donation?

Back