A War Game That Actually Feels Like Being In A War

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have no idea how a sidescrolling platform game can make you feel like you are actually in a war but this article is claiming just that.

This is the side of war that most people who play games never consider, but a side of war that is all too real. This is the core of the game. These are the people hiding in the corners of every modern war game, the ones the camera never stops to look for as you pretend to be a hero. This is the other side of the coin.

I got very mixed feelings when I read the article, maybe I can convey them.

First thought is it's all wrong perhaps because it feels like the designers want to make a statement about war using a game as the method of delivery. I don't know about you guys, but I have been in a war and I don't play games to relive that experience. It wasn't entertaining the first time when it was real and I see nothing entertaining about what these guys are aiming for if the author has the story pegged right.

That last part of my last statement is crucial. If the game is just another take on the DAYZ, survivalist scene fine, I can see it. Some games are about survival in a hopefully fictional zombie Apocalypse and this game just changes the venue to a more realistic and likely scenario, I'm good with that. But if the intent of the developers, as the author would have us believe, is to portray a survival existence during wartime as some sort of statement, or plea for help, or whatever, as this author seems to make it sound. Then yea, I got no interest in this at all and the developers would do better just going for the cash of a main stream game so they have something to go refugee with besides a backback and a few cans of spam.

The real side of war is that you take a single glancing shot and you scream in pain and cry like a bitch, you are as likely to die in a vehicle accident or of malaria or ebola some other weird disease, and 99.9% of the time you are doing mundane really boring crap sitting around or digging ditches and moving crap around.

Real war would not be exciting, and would likely be more like a modern Oregon Trail type game where you're busy crossing rivers and then sitting around for days waiting for orders.
soldier_comes_home2.jpg

The real side of war is that you take a single glancing shot and you scream in pain and cry like a bitch, you are as likely to die in a vehicle accident or of malaria or ebola some other weird disease, and 99.9% of the time you are doing mundane really boring crap sitting around or digging ditches and moving crap around.

Real war would not be exciting, and would likely be more like a modern Oregon Trail type game where you're busy crossing rivers and then sitting around for days waiting for orders.
soldier_comes_home2.jpg

YES!!!! modern Oregon Trail. Hmm lets call it Baghdad Trail.

War is 98% sheer boredom and 2% sheer terror. Sounds like a very boring game.

Well, the Ukrainians are getting their full 2%'s worth right now, that's for sure.

War is 98% sheer boredom and 2% sheer terror. Sounds like a very boring game.
For some folks that is boredom from counting all the money, and terror when AOL is slow to connect to the bank web server.

Putin doesn't want the Bodybag DLC apparently. He's cracking down hard on *gasp* fatalities.

Does it make you feel like you haven't slept for a year straight, eating the same old crap reaching for your Tabasco to spice it up a little. Lets hope it's not NAM because the mosquitoes are a bitch.

Just a survival game, nothing more. Unsurprisingly the article is really no more than click bait. There is no real threat to the player, as such it doesn't Feel like being in a war.

I got very mixed feelings when I read the article, maybe I can convey them.

First thought is it's all wrong perhaps because it feels like the designers want to make a statement about war using a game as the method of delivery. I don't know about you guys, but I have been in a war and I don't play games to relive that experience. It wasn't entertaining the first time when it was real and I see nothing entertaining about what these guys are aiming for if the author has the story pegged right.

That last part of my last statement is crucial. If the game is just another take on the DAYZ, survivalist scene fine, I can see it. Some games are about survival in a hopefully fictional zombie Apocalypse and this game just changes the venue to a more realistic and likely scenario, I'm good with that. But if the intent of the developers, as the author would have us believe, is to portray a survival existence during wartime as some sort of statement, or plea for help, or whatever, as this author seems to make it sound. Then yea, I got no interest in this at all and the developers would do better just going for the cash of a main stream game so they have something to go refugee with besides a backback and a few cans of spam.

Some of the best movies ever made or books ever written are not entertaining. If you want games to attempt to be an art form, you need to allow some of them to do more than just entertain. We'll see how this one does; it's going to be difficult to make something like this work and be successful. I hope they do.

soldier_comes_home2.jpg

I would say this is an accurate portrayal but you forgot the reflective safety belts, so it's obviously 'shopped. (I kid, I kid. Except about the safety belts. AFAIK we never had to wear those things but the Army did, always thought that was awesome.)

Yeah, a realistic war game would have a year long tutorial, a 3 week loading screen, and would render you console unusable after the first two hits. Or if you only got hit once your console would fuzz out or only have mono sound (or in some cases a permanent buzzing sound). Plus even if you did manage to survive the initial attack unscathed, you wouldn't receive clearance to engage sometimes, would randomly get fire support depending on what version of ROE you happened to be following, and after you finished playing the game would be permanently pissed off that you never got to kill the guys shooting at you because "hearts and minds" and the little bastards hid in tunnels or in crowds.

Then you'd go the VA, and that's where it gets even worse.

Great, now people will get PTSD from games.

Shit, we had this chick get PTSD attacks from reading email lol.

We were training some MI guys on some automated software running a simulation and she said the emails about attacks and stuff were triggering her PTSD.

On the one hand we were like "WTF".

On the other we decided our shit must be pretty well written :D

Some of the best movies ever made or books ever written are not entertaining. If you want games to attempt to be an art form, you need to allow some of them to do more than just entertain. We'll see how this one does; it's going to be difficult to make something like this work and be successful. I hope they do.

Problem is, the game play doesn't actually fit the article.

Back