Need Help Finding a 4K 60FPS TV with no "smart" features

Teenyman45

2[H]4U
It's long past time for me to get a proper 4K screen and retire my 37 inch CRT to strictly classic gaming duty. I'm looking for a TV that outputs 60fps at 4K res, but does not have any built in microphones or cameras. Those things really, really creep me out. I also have a obviously preference for no internet connectivity, but since there's almost zero chance of that I can just block it from my network.

Yes, I'm one of those people who frequently keeps his phone in a lined case at home.

My budget is not too much more than $2,000 if at all possible. Any suggestions or is it cheapo 1080p for me?

Nothing like that is out right now. You're looking for a budget 4K TV, and budget 4K TV's are 30hz max right now. I think some might be coming out next year.

There are plenty of 55-65 inch screens by Samsung/LG/Sony/Panasonic in the $2,000-3,000 range and I know at least some of them are HDMI 2.0, which would mean 60fps.

Problem is most, if not all, of those tvs have cameras and microphones that cannot be disabled.

Well not disabled without breaking the tv.

Luckily for you it seems you're just finding out, the rest of us have been waiting since the announcement in January at CES...You only have to wait approx a month (slightly more or less, launch party is supposedly end of month, and 55/70 can be pre-ordered at amazon).
*edit: apparently you can't preorder anymore, at this moment.

The answer is the P series from Vizio. Prices are (now deleted from their website):

50: 999
55: 1400
60: 1700
65: 2200
70: 2500

It supports hdmi 2.0 (4k/60), as well as having a 120hz 1080p input mode (Meaning a real 120hz edid, no need for toastyx cru hacking, finally).

They use VA for low pixel persistence, while still having good contrast/viewing angles.
60/70 use Sharp panels. 55/65 supposedly use AUO panels. 50 is probably Innolux.

I will probably be buying the 65, as AUO panels generally have better input lag/motion resolution than Sharp panels. I might suggest the 55/60/65 to you depending on viewing distance and important of size vs being slightly more picky on screen quality. When vizio initially announced prices, the 60/70 were $100 more...and when they shortly listed the new prices, all but the 65 were free shipping. That *may* be telling. ;-)

While obviously not displayport, which is a bummer...I think that's going to be 'the' set to buy until at least post-ces 2015 products, if not even longer.

http://www.vizio.com/p-series
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-P702ui-...ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=vizio+p

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Never been a fan of Vizio's no warranty policy, but if those screens have a distinct lack of voice or camera functionality then it might be worth considering.

Nothing like that is out right now. You're looking for a budget 4K TV, and budget 4K TV's are 30hz max right now. I think some might be coming out next year.

First off, that's not true at all... Majority of the 4K TVs out can actually do 60 Hz. Even some of the 'budget' models. Samsung has a 50" for $1.4k that supports HDMI 2.0

I've got the Samsung HU8550, and it is a great TV. The 55" is a bit outside your budget ($2200). It doesn't have a camera, and I think the microphone is on the smart control remote only, so you don't have to use it.

Unfortunately no GPUs support HDMI 2.0 output yet - so I'm still waiting on that. Nvidia has a hack to enable 60 Hz with reduced chroma on its cards, not ideal but it works for now.

$3K is the top of the budget. I just really want to keep it to $2K or less. The Samsung rep I spoke with this evening said the HU8550's voice command feature cannot be disabled at the hardware level.

Always on microphones are not an option.

Never been a fan of Vizio's no warranty policy, but if those screens have a distinct lack of voice or camera functionality then it might be worth considering.

I can understand completely. A one year warranty does suck, but coming from a guy that has always used LGs, I have given it a lot of thought, especially since their lower-end series this year is winning the praises of everybody and their cat.

Consumer Reports says their returns are as low as anyone elses, and I came to the conclusion Amazon + double warranty from credit card company makes it a worthy gamble. Amazon has always been really good to me, and have a stellar rep with regard to tv returns...second probably only to Costco.

While not *quite* so worried about all the extra crap like voice/video, I want purely a dumb screen mostly as a monitor, and this is probably the best we're going to get (especially with full-array backlighting, obviously I could care less about local dimming). I plan on disabling the internet functionality and pretty much only using the hdmi port.

Good luck in your search.

I never even heard of Vizio honoring the warranty during the stated period. They make Asus seem customer service oriented. But, Amex at least gives a little bit of warranty.

Last edited:
I never even heard of Vizio honoring the warranty during the stated period. They make Asus seem customer service oriented. But, Amex at least gives a little bit of warranty.

I have heard some *interesting* stories as well (probably from a select vocal few) on the net, but I figure those possibilities (like damage/screen problems they could blame on me when not my fault) will fall in the time I can return it to store. I have also heard their direct support has gotten better than it was wrt returns, but I can't speak first-hand. Like you said, amex. I'm with you there.

All I can truly speak to is the three vizios I have bought my family members for gifts. They all still work (2-4 years old) and tbh, look better than some of my stuff (especially their old full-array local-dimming model with ips display), and the people are very happy with them.

I ain't gonna tell you you're wrong on concerns, I have 'em too (mexican/chinese manufacturing etc), but when you crunch the features and core component choices (panel, etc vs not using garbage like mics/cams) and price versus the competition...they seem like they are a great bang for buck...if it doesn't break. :p

Last edited:
Back