Antec EDGE 750W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Antec EDGE 750W Power Supply Review - Antec is easily a go-to brand for many computer hardware enthusiasts and Antec has not been resting on its reputation. Today is the debut of the Antec EDGE 750W. This PSU boasts full modularity, up to 92% efficiency, high quality Japanese capacitors, "Flat Stealth Wires," all riding on two "High Current Rails."

Page 3 under Internal Build Quality. The first image of the PSU opened up (both fan and internals visible) is not linked to the high res version.

That said, I love the red/gold internals. Nice to see some aesthetic choices being made on PSUs. I know, you never see them, but still, it speaks to a pride in craftsmanship to an extent. However, I'm still looking at the 750W True Power classic for my incoming system build.

Quick question:
What do you guys look for in a PSU fan? You specifically called this one out:
this unit again features a higher quality Hong Hua FDB fan which is a nice upgrade over what we see in most power supplies

What do you guys look for in a PSU fan?

Things such as it's bearing type, revolutions per watt level and brand.

The thing that is mentioned there (FDB) means Fluid Dynamic Bearing, which is an fluid based bearing type that makes the rotor spin easier due to the fluid inside it. It reduces noise and increases lifespan.

Page 3 under Internal Build Quality. The first image of the PSU opened up (both fan and internals visible) is not linked to the high res version.

That said, I love the red/gold internals. Nice to see some aesthetic choices being made on PSUs. I know, you never see them, but still, it speaks to a pride in craftsmanship to an extent. However, I'm still looking at the 750W True Power classic for my incoming system build.

Quick question:
What do you guys look for in a PSU fan? You specifically called this one out:

Fixed that missing image, thanks for the extra eyes.

On fans I am going to let Paul handle that question as he is very picky about those things. He is however out of the country for the next week and a half. So you might message him when you see him back around. He might check this thread as well, but it most likely will not be quick.

Glad to help.
I'll keep an eye out for Paul. More of a curiosity thing.

It is a hard matrix kind of thing to answer. There is bearing type (sleeve, ball, FDB, and all of the hybrid and modified designs), blade design, longevity, manufacturer, noise, etc.

An example.....Delta makes outstanding BB fans. They are very well built, last forever, and have an excellent track record but they are typically noisier than other options (even a number of other high end BB fans/brands like Sanyo Denki). Does that make it a bad fan? Yes, and no. Yes if you care about noise, no if you want the fan to do it's job of keeping things cool for the for a long time.

FDB fans provide a lot of the noise benefits of sleeve bearing fans (noise) but are typically more durable like a ball bearing fan. On a highend unit it is appropriate to see high quality bearing types and high quality manufacturers.

That is a very short answer to a very long question but I hope it helps point you in the right direction and I wanted to post since i got back and this Q was outstanding.

Yea but Antec got a silver and HardOCP Pass.

XFX XTR only silver

I just dont understand those awards.

They both got a Silver. If a product fails it is rather impossible to get an award.

Back