Patent Allows Watermarking of Already Encrypted Movies

HardOCP News

[H] News
Verance, the company behind Cinavia anti-piracy protection, has been awarded a new patent on a method of inserting watermarks into content that has already been compressed and encrypted.

The company behind the movie watermarking system known as Cinavia has been awarded a new anti-piracy patent. Among other things, the Verance invention seeks to track digital media as it's being distributed by adding identifying watermarks to encrypted content, without having to decrypt it first.

And just think, adding watermarks to films in theaters you pay $10+ a ticket for isn't going far enough, now if you buy the movie in digital they can randomly watermark and ruin watching it on your phone, tablet or pc as well.

Or you could just watermark it the way our local theatre does.

out of focus, 3% of the picture off the bottom of the screen where some orange lights are, with a giant shadow in the upper right corner,

So it's not enough that TV is already ruined with GIANT watermarks and advertisements popping up all over the screen (Aside from HBo and the FEW networks that don't do that) now they want to do this in movies too? Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Yay, more money-grabbing techniques from those who already have more money than they know what to do with.

why are consumers blindly taking this fair use infringement in the ass. this shit needs to stop now and companies need to honor our fair use rights not infringe on them to the point when i have grand children they will have zero clue about fair use rights.

Yay, more money-grabbing techniques from those who already have more money than they know what to do with.

It's never enough, and the rest of us are supposed to feel guilty for what little we have, too, according to them and their supporters.

why are consumers blindly taking this fair use infringement in the ass. this shit needs to stop now and companies need to honor our fair use rights not infringe on them to the point when i have grand children they will have zero clue about fair use rights.

It's because the average every day American doesn't have the money to fund a lawmaking institution like ALEC to create laws and pay politicians to pass them.

Or you could just watermark it the way our local theatre does.

out of focus, 3% of the picture off the bottom of the screen where some orange lights are, with a giant shadow in the upper right corner,

Don't forget the green glare from the 3000 Watt exit door signs.

So it's not enough that TV is already ruined with GIANT watermarks and advertisements popping up all over the screen (Aside from HBo and the FEW networks that don't do that) now they want to do this in movies too? Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Technically watermarks are suppose to be imperceptible. Like a faint image blended with the source material that can't be seen unless you compare to the original source. I doubt existing encryption would lend itself to watermarking without performing decryption / re-encryption. So they've created a system where the encrypted data can still be written.

This is to create a custom tag so you can track individual copies.

The problem here is professional pirates would just collect 2-3 copies and cross reference them to decimate the watermark. Where you playing your movie collection from plex to your neighbor could be busted by your ISP.

A watermark can be anything, not necessarily the traditional visible watermark you get watching broadcast television.

Back