DDR4 on mainstream chipsets

skylike will be the transition bud, with socket 1151 and intel "sunrise Point" chipset... it will support both DDR3 and DDR4 but i think DDR3 will be for low end boards.. H170.. and all Z170 will be DDR4.. just a guess its not fully sure..

I noticed you running ivy bridge like me but I have a 3570k how long do you plan on keeping the system I was wanting to upgrade to a DC CPU and a Z97 WS board. I like the Z97 WS because of the PCI-E layout. I use quick sync which is not offered on the E parts. I like the idea of more PCI-E lanes so I can run sound cards and raid cards if I wanted to. I have a 570SLI setup thinking that more important to upgrade than anything at the moment.

2016 is the year for that. In 2016 AMD and Intel will be using DDR4 in the mainstream platforms. I expect by then all DDR3 platforms will be EOL as well by then.

Does DDR4 have any performance improvement in games?

Current Dual Channel DDR3 isn't starving the CPU in games, I doubt you will see any advantage in dual/quad channel DDR4 for quite some time. Even AMD's APU's weren't seeing much of an advantage passed 1833 DDR3.

edit: Actually my system ran at 1333 for a month before I noticed it and it wasn't due to my games lagging.

Back