Computer Games Give A Boost To English

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers have discovered that computer games can help you develop a larger English vocabulary. And we're not just talking about the cuss words either. :D

If you want to make a mark in the world of computer games you had better have a good English vocabulary. It has now also been scientifically proven that someone who is good at computer games has a larger English vocabulary. This is revealed by a study at the University of Gothenburg and Karlstad University, Sweden.

Unsurprising. Video games are written by writers, and writers tend to be people who appreciate their language.

Comic books did the same for me as a kid, though I was at somewhat of a disadvantage, having learned words by reading them without hearing them ("That's [hyper-bowl]!" I was heard to say when I was a kid).

Remember when everyone didn't know the word maverick? I did because of Megaman X. It's just one example of how more exposure to games can increase your vocabulary. I've had many moments when I would say a word and people would look at me strange.

MegamanMaverickHunterX-cover.jpg

The problem is that most of the words are useless. Chocobo, Metal Gear, Alucard. Don't even say this shit in real life.

Remember when everyone didn't know the word maverick? I did because of Megaman X. It's just one example of how more exposure to games can increase your vocabulary. I've had many moments when I would say a word and people would look at me strange.

Please for the love of humanity tell me you're joking. :(

Uhh... Top Gun? Maverick was probably one of my first words haha.

I do agree though. Especially the (old) RPGs, before voice was prevalent. Half my games used to be just reading text for storyline and clues. You spoony bard.

Please for the love of humanity tell me you're joking. :(

Which part? Me learning the word playing Megaman X games or that when John McCain said he was a maverick that Americans had to pull out a dictionary and look up the word?

So does this forum. Everything that involves reading/listening improves vocabulary. Kind of a dumb study.

Which part? Me learning the word playing Megaman X games or that when John McCain said he was a maverick that Americans had to pull out a dictionary and look up the word?

I'm flabbergasted you didn't know what a maverick was and learned it from a Japanese game. It is cool I guess but somewhat sad at the same time. Guess I grew up playing Cowboys and Indians so most of the lingo was pretty familiar to me.

I first encountered Periapt of Wisdom in Neverwinter Nights. "Periapt" is an obscure synonym of amulet.

I'm flabbergasted you didn't know what a maverick was and learned it from a Japanese game. It is cool I guess but somewhat sad at the same time. Guess I grew up playing Cowboys and Indians so most of the lingo was pretty familiar to me.

Well I learned it when I was a child so yea. Megaman X was released like early 90's?

Maybe learning all the extra made up names for RPG items correlates with remembering a greater vocabulary.

Back